R8 Peach Deal

What's Hot

Comments

• HattigolHattigol Frets: 8189
    crunchman said:
    Fishboy7 said:

Why such strong views on the prices of used R8s?  

I'm assuming that you haven't read through all of the previous 135 pages of this thread.

There are those who say that the knockdown price on the ones that started this thread will cause second hand prices to drop, while others say that it won't have much effect, or that any effect is likely to be temporary.  Both sides are rather entrenched in their opinions.

People can get quite rude about prices on this forum anyway.  I remember advertising a PRS for sale in the classifieds a few years ago.  Someone on here made me a lowball offer, and I said no, and he came back with an arrogant PM saying that was adamant that I'd never get more than £1000 for it.  I sold it on consignment in Charlie Chandlers and got a bit over £1200 after commission - so better than £200 more than the maximum he said I would get.

That spirit of "I know better than you" persists on this forum.  Pricing of second hand guitars is one of those that seems to bring it out.  Always has done, and people don't like being told they are wrong - even when they are.

There are also a handful of people on the forum who are argumentative types, might even use the word troll.  I can understand TTony getting fed up and wanting out.

Don't forget as well that there are a huge amount of people on here with no sense of humour whatsoever.
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • dbphotodbphoto Frets: 716
    edited December 2018
    I bought some Guitar Honey as recommended by @stickyfiddle ;;

It's definitely made the board a tiny bit darker and less dry looking, but again, not the effect I would expect with a rosewood board?

Something I had not noticed before is just how poor the fretwork is.  Pretty much on every fret, on the bass side, there is a little notch out of the wire:

Does it matter to me?

No, it's just another thing to add to the list of little things that are 'wrong' with this guitar.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Anyone went from 10s to 11s? And if so, did you need to do any adjustments? The nut doesn't look like it can take it without filing.
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31590
    dbphoto said:

It's definitely made the board a tiny bit darker and less dry looking, but again, not the effect I would expect with a rosewood board?

Something I had not noticed before is just how poor the fretwork is.  Pretty much on every fret, on the bass side, there is a little notch out of the wire:

Does it matter to me?

No, it's just another thing to add to the list of little things that are 'wrong' with this guitar.
    That looks like a tooling mark from where they've 'crimped one off' for want of a better expression. 
    :)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4184
    Good old Gibson QC 
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    dbphoto said:

Does it matter to me?

Wow those frets don’t look great - unless it’s just the camera angle -  it must be a great guitar if you didn’t send it back.  
    As I said, I have only just noticed the crimp marks on most of the frets.  It’s the first time I have had the strings off since the day it arrived a few months ago, and if I remember correctly it was late at night with a bottle of wine on that occasion.

If I had noticed then I probably would have sent it back I think.

Now, despite its flaws, I really like it and can forgive Gibson’s terrible QC on what should have been a £4k guitar.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    If it doesn’t bother you when you play then I have no issue with little “flaws” that add to the character.    Plenty of my guitar have little quirks that might have put me off when new but are just part of the guitar.   
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    Michael84 said:
    Anyone went from 10s to 11s? And if so, did you need to do any adjustments? The nut doesn't look like it can take it without filing.
    Yeah I had my nut done by a tech though. First thing I do with any guitar
    dbphoto said:
    Now, despite its flaws, I really like it and can forgive Gibson’s terrible QC on what should have been a £4k guitar.
    That's the rub innit. Only Gibson could get away with it!
  • dbphoto said:

Does it matter to me?

Christ, Gibson leave a lot to be desired, don't they. Have to be honest, without trying to wind you up, mine seems faultless, but I'd be pretty annoyed if it wasn't.

Maybe take it to Jon at @FelineGuitars, he would work wonders on it, should you want that. You shouldn't have to though, that's the point.

I wonder if this shit will change with the new CEO etc? 

If they ever dared to compare their QC to the likes of PRS, they'd be ashamed of themselves.
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4184
    edited December 2018
    Or even Ibanez QC, Gibson still seem to lack that fine degree of precision in their builds
  • RMJRMJ Frets: 1274
    I can't fault the quality on mine. I've been playing it all day pretty much. Love it dearly.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I hear you @Jonathanthomas83 but none of its little issues make any difference to how well it plays and sounds.

If I thought any of it mattered I would be straight on the phone to Peach.

I would of course prefer if it was perfect, but it really does sound and play like nothing else I have ever owned, including perfect PRS’s, Suhr’s etc so I have finally learned that a good one is a good one despite any faults.

Still a bit of a piss take that it was let out the door as it is though!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TINMAN82TINMAN82 Frets: 1846
    Don’t know what the other issues are but those frets are poor. That said it’s correctable as I’m sure a fret stone would make it almost dissapear, as will any eventual refret. In fairness I’ve owned very few guitars from any brand that don’t have 1 or 2 cosmetic issues like this if you really look closely.
    I don't feel the need to correct the issue as it has no effect on how it plays @TINMAN82 ;

It might sound like I am defending poor QC from Gibson, when I am certainly not, but this particular guitar can get away with various things as the sum of its parts equal something quite special.  

Now I have noticed the fret thing I will of course always know it is there:

But it's like zooming in on an image of Keira Knightley and finding a flaw or two.  I really don't care, I still want to play........

0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    RMJ said:
    I can't fault the quality on mine. I've been playing it all day pretty much. Love it dearly.
    Same! Definitely a lifer, so pleased with it
  • skikdi53skikdi53 Frets: 198
    edited December 2018
    where do you buy the guitar honey @dbphoto ;;?
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 4808
    POSH Guitars stocks it online, he's a nice fella an all.

My head said brake, but my heart cried never.