Comments

• BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    Rabs said:
    JezWynd said:
    ^ That sounds better than some guitars I've heard.....
    It’s all in the timber.
    I've learned to fret less about what wood my basses are made of now

?

https://i.imgur.com/hiVS9SI.jpg

Nah - this one:

Ironically, the fingerboard isn't made of wood at all..... 
    0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • The word 'tone' has really kind of taken on it's own meaning in the context of the guitar world. When someone raises their voice in conversation, we might refer to 'not liking their tone', the sound their voice adopted to convey more than simply what the words can mean or say. 'I like you' said in a gentle, sensitive way produces very different reactions than shouting the same three words at someone. It's the same in guitar, it's manipulating sound so that we can play the same 12 notes and have them mean very different things each time - as opposed to referring to the specifics of an instrument. God I'm talking shite. Pubs that shut at 11 have terrible tone. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • This is actually epic, @Bridgehouse. I will always remember this day :lol:
    The word 'tone' has really kind of taken on it's own meaning in the context of the guitar world. When someone raises their voice in conversation, we might refer to 'not liking their tone', the sound their voice adopted to convey more than simply what the words can mean or say. 'I like you' said in a gentle, sensitive way produces very different reactions than shouting the same three words at someone. It's the same in guitar, it's manipulating sound so that we can play the same 12 notes and have them mean very different things each time - as opposed to referring to the specifics of an instrument. God I'm talking shite. Pubs that shut at 11 have terrible tone. 
    I've been to some pubs and really wished they have a volume and tone control...

They aren't bad for a pickup tho... ;)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    This is actually epic, @Bridgehouse. I will always remember this day :lol:
    Tho possibly tongue in cheek as a thread, it does actually irritate me a bit :)
  • slackerslacker Frets: 2246
    edited August 2018
    Best tone sorry timbre I ever had was from a 50s fender twill deluxe.
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12668
    The word 'tone' has really kind of taken on it's own meaning in the context of the guitar world. When someone raises their voice in conversation, we might refer to 'not liking their tone', the sound their voice adopted to convey more than simply what the words can mean or say. 'I like you' said in a gentle, sensitive way produces very different reactions than shouting the same three words at someone. It's the same in guitar, it's manipulating sound so that we can play the same 12 notes and have them mean very different things each time - as opposed to referring to the specifics of an instrument. God I'm talking shite. Pubs that shut at 11 have terrible tone. 
    Yes, I find uttering the words "I think you are the most wonderful person in the world" sound best when shouted in a slightly stylised German accent especially whilst in a library or similarly quiet place - mystifying, confusing, scary and slightly unnerving. ;-)

Tmbre? Hmmm... its sound. And thanks to the magic of the electric guitar or bass, that sound can be altered by using the "tone" controls on your amp (or by plugging in an effects box). But hey, that doesn't sell guitars - vintage or vintage copies. ;-)
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

I shall expect every R8 NGD post to have a full description of the timbre....
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12668
    Expected adjectives/descriptors:

Buttery
    Bloom
    Organic
    Sustain for days
    Authentic
    Crisp
    Smooth

Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

impmann said:
    Expected adjectives/descriptors:

Buttery
    Bloom
    Organic
    Sustain for days
    Authentic
    Crisp
    Smooth

Shocking. 

Where is:

Mojo
    Growl
    Spank
    Creamy
    Dark
    For sale - best I’ve ever played

on your list?

;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • newi123newi123 Frets: 864
    I find guitar players often use `tone` incorrectly in place of sound - `I love the tone of a les paul into a marshall` - that`s sound not tone...........

The dictionary definition of tone (I think) is `the quality of a particular sound` - on that basis tone is def in the players fingers, as two can play the same set up producing the same sound, and a different touch and technique can produce a better quality sound - Ie a better tone.

Fek knows what timbre is - I though that was what they actually made the guitars out of?????
    (Cut and paste job)

What is tone?

The tone of an instrument generally refers to the overall frequency balance. Even if you haven’t done frequency ear training you probably understand the concepts of “bass” (low sounds) and “treble” (high sounds).

“Tone” refers to the balance of frequencies present in a sound.

For example, if a guitar sound is very bassy, you would say it has a bass-heavy tone. This is what the “tone controls” on an electric guitar affect: the balance between bass and treble. Or if a singer has a very shrill piercing voice, you might say they had a very treble tone to their singing.

People will often use the word “tone” more generally, to mean the general nature of a sound, but this is incorrect. What they mean is “timbre”.

What is timbre?

The term “timbre” refers to the characteristic sound of an instrument. In a sense, timbre is everything that lets you distinguish one instrument from another. For example, a trumpet has a brash timbre compared with the smoother timbre of a saxophone. A violin and viola have very similar timbres (which is why you might struggle to distinguish them by ear). The timbre of a string instrument is completely different from a keyed or wind instrument.Outside the world of music we use timbre to distinguish different sound sources – such as the difference between a dog barking and a child shouting, or the difference between a male and female voice speaking.Timbre is a combination of many factors. It includes tone but also aspects like how suddenly or smoothly the notes start and end, the number and strength of harmonicsin the sound, and how the sound varies over time.

• OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10524
    tFB Trader
    Difference between Timbre and tone:
    If you cut down an large tree and shout 'TONE!' Some poor git's going to get squashed. :-)
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3500
    Im afraid I dont like your timbre of voice.
    Nope, doesnt work.
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10524
    tFB Trader
    robgilmo said:
    Im afraid I dont like your timbre of voice.
    Nope, doesnt work.
    Oh I don't know:
     'I don't like the timbre of your voice sir ... I'm afraid fisticuffs is called for!' I've said it many a time :-)
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

I much prefer ''I dont like the cut of your jib'' and ''Im gonna take you down baby, all the way down to china town'' , try saying them two when faced with a fight. 
    Have you tried turning the jib down a bit on your Strat?
    I dont have one, I have GAS though, always the GAS.
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8794
    robgilmo said:
    It’s now known as ‘Gambre’
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    JerkMoans said:
    robgilmo said:
    It’s now known as ‘Gambre’
    Pronounced “Mug”