Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Guitar Guitar R9 sale - Anyone getting excited about these

What's Hot

Comments

• CollingsCollings Frets: 411
    edited September 2018
    There was an R8 in GG last night for £2499.
    I was looking at that also then noticed that it had a screw missing from the machine head on the picture of the back of the headstock. That was enough to convince me to stick with what I have. An issue easily sorted but why was it shipped like that (assuming it was)?

2reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Ah, good spot. Shame, but yes, easily fixed.
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • hyperbenhyperben Frets: 1425
    edited September 2018
    An R9 might be a lot of money but at this kind of price reduction you can’t really lose much if anything on resale. It may even go up in value. This is the only reason I’ve bought one. A holiday or a car is money down the drain, although perhaps still worth it, so not really comparable to an R9 where you don’t really lose anything.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • hyperben said:
    An R9 might be a lot of money but at this kind of price reduction you can’t really lose much if anything on resale. It may even go up in value. This is the only reason I’ve bought one. A holiday or a car is money down the drain, although perhaps still worth it, so not really comparable to an R9 where you don’t really lose anything.
    I’m sure you’ll be seeing lot more of these fire sales given problems with Gibson, so inevitably I’d expect the used value to decline . Gibson aren’t gonna turn things round anytime soon so I’d be very surprised if these cheap offers are a one off, and if I think I can pick up a new one at some date in future for this price why am I going to pay the same for your used one ?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    armitaan said:
    hyperben said:
    I’m sure you’ll be seeing lot more of these fire sales given problems with Gibson, so inevitably I’d expect the used value to decline . Gibson aren’t gonna turn things round anytime soon so I’d be very surprised if these cheap offers are a one off, and if I think I can pick up a new one at some date in future for this price why am I going to pay the same for your used one ?
    I guess we’ll have to wait and see. In the mean time I’m going to enjoy playing my guitar!  ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • horsehorse Frets: 1588
    I'm going home (currently outside the ship lol), will sleep on it and play what I've got. £3.5k isalot of dosh and I'm not playing as much as I used to. Might regret it lol 
     TBH I doubt you'll regret holding out mate - you're just feeling the pull of gas. You've chosen not to play LPs in the past I reckon as other guitars suityou better?
  • A blinding holiday for 3.5K will be nice for the couples of weeks then it’s done but an R9 or R8 will last a lifetime of enjoyment 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • horse said:
    I'm going home (currently outside the ship lol), will sleep on it and play what I've got. £3.5k isalot of dosh and I'm not playing as much as I used to. Might regret it lol 
     TBH I doubt you'll regret holding out mate - you're just feeling the pull of gas. You've chosen not to play LPs in the past I reckon as other guitars suityou better?
    Yeah they're a tad grann and don't have the high fret access but I always thought they looked awesome and they do sound good. It's all about the playing, I'm one of the guys on here who probably buys the justl.. but when I get a GAS pant, it hits hard!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • horse said:
    Yeah they're a tad grann and don't have the high fret access but I always thought they looked awesome and they do sound good. It's all about the playing, I'm one of the guys on here who probably buys the justl.. but when I get a GAS pant, it hits hard!
    Does that tell you anything about whether it's a real scratch you need to itch then, maybe?

• Fifty9Fifty9 Frets: 492
    I’ve already sold of some guitars to cover it. A quality guitar like this has given me the push me to do something I’ve thought about a while but never so far done - properly thinning out the herd. Will sell upto 9 of my guitars and focus on a couple of top quality ones and that’s it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14430
    tFB Trader
    Strat54 said:
    Don't tell everyone - do we need another thread with around 60K viewing figures ?????
    If you sell your custom shop Strats off for £1500 Mark the internet would actually explode...
    Get saving guys, I reckon that day may soon come. Fender aren't far off Gibsons financial predicament and lets face it there is already a huge surplus of Custom Shop stock in the UK, a quick count up of 'In stock' guitars revealed that 5 dealers had 447 guitars! 
    Can't see the recent price increases helping either. £3k plus for an NOS standard spec guitar.
    But Fender have almost no stock in the EU warehouse - New policy coming in will be no stock at all in any warehouse be it the UK/EU or USA - Only forward orders from the dealers and approx 6 month delivery schedules - As such any 'discounting or dumping' will be dealer led and I can't see many dealers selling £10 notes for £9 unless they run into cash flow issues - Regarding C/Shop then Fender have no excess stock to dump
    6 month delivery schedules, that's quite an improvement. Is that down to not having excessive orders from dealers for stock, but solely doing custom orders? Or am I getting that wrong?
    it is generally quoted at 6 months - some can be a touch longer ref any logistics regarding CITES
  • Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2406
    Strat54 said:
    Don't tell everyone - do we need another thread with around 60K viewing figures ?????
    If you sell your custom shop Strats off for £1500 Mark the internet would actually explode...
    Get saving guys, I reckon that day may soon come. Fender aren't far off Gibsons financial predicament and lets face it there is already a huge surplus of Custom Shop stock in the UK, a quick count up of 'In stock' guitars revealed that 5 dealers had 447 guitars! 
    Can't see the recent price increases helping either. £3k plus for an NOS standard spec guitar.
    But Fender have almost no stock in the EU warehouse - New policy coming in will be no stock at all in any warehouse be it the UK/EU or USA - Only forward orders from the dealers and approx 6 month delivery schedules - As such any 'discounting or dumping' will be dealer led and I can't see many dealers selling £10 notes for £9 unless they run into cash flow issues - Regarding C/Shop then Fender have no excess stock to dump
    Of course the Fender EU warehouse has no stock.....there's now close to 1000 unsold guitars sat on dealers floors and walls here in the UK alone! Add to that the stock in the rest of the EU and we're into serious £numbers! Maybe they'll sell that warehouse now with their new orders policy. Clever move Fender. 

• Jonathanthomas83Jonathanthomas83 Frets: 3479
    edited September 2018
    @Strat54 you having a quiet weekend, mate? You're quickly becoming the resident UK retailer stock counter.

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Did anyone get into Birmingham and see / play any of their R9's today? Dirty Lemon 97779 in particular?

Ta!
    Just looked at GG and Andertons. All I can say is wow...I can't believe how many R9s there are for sale at £3499. These could take some time to clear I think! I can't see it being as popular as the R8 deal.
  • hyperben said:
    Just looked at GG and Andertons. All I can say is wow...I can't believe how many R9s there are for sale at £3499. These could take some time to clear I think! I can't see it being as popular as the R8 deal.
    They sure aren’t flying off the shelves like the R8. Unless you like a bit of flame but then £1000 extra is a hell of a lot 
  • People do pay it (like I did for my PRS, though I think 10 top is less than £1k extra)
  • gringopiggringopig Frets: 2648
    edited July 2020
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • gringopig said:
    I'm going to head of to GG with some guitars to see if I can trade them in against one.
    Intention is to obtain those sweet sweet flames and to lessen the strain on space to store what I have left.
    2011 Gibson 50th anniversary Robby Krieger SG
    1996 Gibson Les Paul Special with added Les Trem II (which may or may not come off depending on offer)
    1999 Danelectro 56-U2 from the first Korean series.

Let us see what the offset is against an R9 or even R0...
    Ooofff, good luck!

• gringopiggringopig Frets: 2648
    edited July 2020