Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Is this neck out of alignment?

What's Hot

Comments

• teradaterada Frets: 5114
    edited September 2018
    Here's a closeup of the Andertons one. Notice the hole on one side but not the other.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72607
    The problem being that, exactly as with yours, you would need to take the pickup out to check if it's a potential issue or not. Not something the customer is going to be allowed to do in the shop!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • AdamskiAdamski Frets: 1278
    Yeah mine has that, although it’s not as pronounced. The left hand side I can see the join but it’s just a line, looks tight, and the right hand side is marginally wider but not by much. Surely a join line will always be there though, right? 
  • hyperbenhyperben Frets: 1425
    You can only see that because of the gap between the pickup and fretboard. It’s probably present on loads of historic LPs that don’t have the gap but you’d never know. I certainly wouldn’t let it bother me if I really liked the guitar and it didn’t affect stability of the neck, which I’m pretty sure it won’t based on the pics.
  • Dumb qs but why do some have the gap between pickup ring and fretboard ? I had look at my single cut set neck guitars a navigator Les Paul Custom, Collings 290 and a Maybach and on all pickup flush to fretboard ?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72607
    hyperben said:
    You can only see that because of the gap between the pickup and fretboard. It’s probably present on loads of historic LPs that don’t have the gap but you’d never know. I certainly wouldn’t let it bother me if I really liked the guitar and it didn’t affect stability of the neck, which I’m pretty sure it won’t based on the pics.
    It's actually quite easy to tell.

Put the guitar on the floor resting on its back, and stand on it in the middle. If the headstock breaks off before the neck joint fails, the neck joint is OK. If the other way round, it wasn't.

;)

armitaan said:
    Dumb qs but why do some have the gap between pickup ring and fretboard ? I had look at my single cut set neck guitars a navigator Les Paul Custom, Collings 290 and a Maybach and on all pickup flush to fretboard ?
    Because the necks are hand-fitted so the position of the end of the neck varies, but the pickup rout is done with a jig so it's always in the same place.

Good old hand made accuracy...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    armitaan said:
    Dumb qs but why do some have the gap between pickup ring and fretboard ? I had look at my single cut set neck guitars a navigator Les Paul Custom, Collings 290 and a Maybach and on all pickup flush to fretboard ?
    It's because in BOTB there are loads like that so it is seen as a vintage feature.

It's a bit weird but just one of those things. Flush or gap, it has no real relevance as far as I know.

Completely agree with @hyperben, having explored it a little in this thread (and seeing it a very large proportion of the instruments that have been through my hands), it appears to be relatively normal. 

Again, weird, but normal.

• TwinfanTwinfan Frets: 1625
    My R9 has slight indents on each end of the neck join, both egual in size.  I assume it's just a little over routing on the top end.  They're smaller than than the right hand side of the Andertons pic above though.

My R8 has no indents on either side, like the left hand side of the Andertons pic above.
  • TINMAN82TINMAN82 Frets: 1846
    Have to say a gap is a checklist thing that I’d immediately exclude a Les Paul for (mabye not an original burst mind you..). Plenty of reissues don’t have the gap and its cosmetically less appealing IMO. Shame it’s showed up a routing flaw here too. Personally I’d send back but that’s purely on cosmetic grounds.
    edited September 2018
    They have the gap because the true historics have the gap and the 2017 historics inherited true historic specs. And the true historics have the gap because it supposedly vintage correct even though not every vintage LP has it (some do, some don't). But half way through 2017 they stopped putting the gap in. So higher serial number 2017 historics don't have the gap. So it's a feature of the true historics and the earlier 2017 historic LPs only.
  • The Iced Tea I just received does not have that small hole. Unfortunately despite being a lovely resonant pretty guitar, I don't think it's for me. 
    The Iced Tea I just received does not have that small hole. Unfortunately despite being a lovely resonant pretty guitar, I don't think it's for me. 
    Where did your iced tea from? I found finding the right guitar a very personal thing. It's difficult sometimes to pinpoint exactly why it works, and why it doesn't.
  • hyperben said:
    The Iced Tea I just received does not have that small hole. Unfortunately despite being a lovely resonant pretty guitar, I don't think it's for me. 
    Where did your iced tea from? I found finding the right guitar a very personal thing. It's difficult sometimes to pinpoint exactly why it works, and why it doesn't.
    I agree. It's from Peach and it's very well setup. I can't figure out why but my SG and cheapsr LP are more for me. Maybe I'm better sticking to modern Gibson.
  • mli3mli3 Frets: 206
    Give it time mate. 
    That's a shame mate, your iced tea was beautiful!

Then again, if it doesn't work for you, and you prefer something else, then save your cash and enjoy playing what makes you feel good.
  • johnljohnl Frets: 2011
    terada said:

Then again, if it doesn't work for you, and you prefer something else, then save your cash and enjoy playing what makes you feel good.
    Every guitar I've ever bonded with I've bonded with immediately. Whenever I've picked up a guitar and thought "I'm not sure if this is for me" the discomfort grows until I eventually get rid of it. If it's not for you mate there will certainly be plenty of decently priced Les Pauls coming up for sale soon....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    edited September 2018
    johnl said:
    terada said:

Every guitar I've ever bonded with I've bonded with immediately. Whenever I've picked up a guitar and thought "I'm not sure if this is for me" the discomfort grows until I eventually get rid of it. If it's not for you mate there will certainly be plenty of decently priced Les Pauls coming up for sale soon....
    Totally agree with this. If I don’t know straight away I used to kid myself that it’s right and eventually sold it on anyway. When you’re paying this much money you don’t need to make any excuses for being fussy. If it’s not right send it back.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 1959
    I'd be sending that back and getting something Japanese - Yamaha, Tokai or Bacchus etc. 

You may shrug it off as cosmetic now, but in 10-15 years time...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TINMAN82TINMAN82 Frets: 1846
    johnl said:
    terada said:

hyperben said:
    johnl said:
    terada said:

Totally agree with this. If I don’t know straight away I used to kid myself that it’s right and eventually sold it on anyway. When you’re paying this much money you don’t need to make any excuses for being fussy. If it’s not right send it back.
    Hmmm, could be passing up some great guitars in need of a setup though
  • johnljohnl Frets: 2011
    It's not really setup, I think you can tell when a guitar just needs a bit of tweaking. It's a combination of setup, feel, weight, looks and...something else. But if you don't open the case and go "fuck me that's incredible" then just keep searching until you do.