Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Is this neck out of alignment?

What's Hot
teradaterada Frets: 5114
edited September 2018 in Guitar
Hi Everyone,

I was taking some photos of my new R8, and noticed that the gap between the fretboard and pickup ring seemed a little wonky.

With my curiosity piqued, I thought I'd use the rulers in photoshop to have a closer look.

It appears to me that the body based elements are in alignment, but that the neck is in slightly wonky. There is also a slight chunk of the tenon that appears to have been skimmed off (I assume when it was fitted), on the side that would have to have more material off if the neck was to be fitted in such a way.

The guitar plays and sounds good and there doesn't appear to be an issue with string spacing (at least to me), but I obviously don't want to get involved with something that could be an issue down the line when I can easily swap it now.

Is this an issue to be worries about?

Many thanks in advance!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• WezVWezV Frets: 16794
    If it plays fine, it is fine.  

The 16th fret doesn’t line up with the body join either, which probably caused the gap.

but if it intonates, it’s all good

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • hyperbenhyperben Frets: 1425
    edited September 2018
    I think if the neck were out of line the strings would not be equal distances from the edges of the fretboard, which it looks like they are. And the strings align with the polepieces on the pickups too. So I think the neck is fine. The neck pickup ring make be screwed on very slightly out of square though. If it is its ever so slight though and certainly wouldn't bother me.
  • DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3301
    tFB Trader
    Most vintage ones normally have a gap and it varies a bit too, probably trying to get more historic than true historic
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • teradaterada Frets: 5114
    Thanks a bunch @WezV and @hyperben.

It sounds great and appears to play fine (I've only had it a couple of days and have had no issues so far). I set the intonation earlier today and all seemed good.

In the shop the G was playing up a bit but that seems have disappeared after it was restrung and set up.

I'm not bothered if it is not a bigger issue. If it is all good then I'll keep it and chalk it up to Gibson 'character'.  ;)
    Most vintage ones normally have a gap and it varies a bit too, probably trying to get more historic than true historic
    Thanks @customkits. If Henry were still in charge I would half expect to pay more for it too.

'We have replicated the idiosyncrasies of actual vintage guitars to bring you the most accurate reissue yet - all for just a two grand premium'. What a silly man
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9099
    It could just be the angle you have taken the picture at!... I’d get the proper rulers out rather than the ones in photoshop...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72669
    If it was me I would be concerned.

There is what appears to be a gap with a shim on one side of it on the bass side of the tenon. The joint relies on a good fit on the sides, since it rarely fits tightly on the bottom - the sides provide the bulk of the strength since the glue is in shear loading. If what I’m seeing is correct, there’s not only a shim, it still hasn’t produced a tight fit.

It’s not unknown for Gibsons to be shimmed on the sides like that - there are pics online somewhere of a LP Special where this was done... and the neck had fallen off.

At the very least I would want to take the neck pickup out and have a good look at that side of the neck joint.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
    Yeah, some shimmed ones break and reveal their dirty secret.   Most don’t. If it’s bee man well shimmed it won’t.

its actually quite amazing how small a glue join you can get away with in a neck.  I always try to maximise that join, but Gibson don’t feel the need.

i stick by my original assertion... it’s only an issue if it’s an issue.

weak neck joins are usually noticeable with tuning issues on every string and an odd resonance.  Tap around the back and neck and you should get an idea if it’s a solid join or not
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    Who is this bee man and what does he know about neck joins?
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Thanks again everyone.

I'll get my macro lens out tomorrow and get a better picture. I'll also remove the pickup and get some images from in there too.

I've played around 15 of these R8's now, and I'd guess at least 5 had what looked like a little gap either on the left (as above) or the right. I was wondering what it was!
  • DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3301
    edited September 2018 tFB Trader
    I wasn't really paying attention when reading this first but that neck shim does look a bit shit to me now considering what's been paid and and what I'd expect from a well made high end guitar

i was referring to the gap between fretboard end and pick up ring

www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
  • If it’s bothering you now, it’s always going to bother you no matter what anyone says. And that’s all your going to see when you look at that guitar. (Did I mention my OCD?) two and half grand isn’t cheap regardless of what they used to be. I would want to love every square mm for that sort of money. If I wasn’t 100% I’d be taking it back.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • carloscarlos Frets: 3465
    WezV said:
    Who is this bee man and what does he know about neck joins?
    Makes guitars play like honey
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Right guys I thought I'd get out the macro lens tonight as it was on my mind.

Here is what we have at silly resolution. Please keep in mind that this gap is minuscule in real life.

Does this help focus your thoughts?

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • wow....

I mean, I agree with people that if it play great then there's no problem...
    but that surely depends on how much it cost? For £300, no problem, you expect it.... For £2k? Should you expect better?

I just took order of a very nice Mayones... if there was something 1/10th as bad as this, for what I paid... it would be going back!

Ultimately, there's always going to be that niggling doubt in the back of your mind... is it cosmetic?.... or could it be a structural issue that causes a fail in a few years.

I'm certainly no expert, but appreciate your concern!

Support me on Youtube or Patreon
    https://www.patreon.com/leviclay    |    https://www.youtube.com/c/leviclay
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3604
    Also, if people start to accept something that may not be how it should be then people like Gibson who make expensive guitars accept that they can get away with letting more slip through quality control.
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
  • Maybe too manypictures being taken has caused it to move?  :)
    8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    robgilmo said:
    Also, if people start to accept something that may not be how it should be then people like Gibson who make expensive guitars accept that they can get away with letting more slip through quality control.
    That ship has sailed
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    I would assume Gibson have fitted a shim inside that neck join as that seems to be their normal way of doing things.

Worth checking with something.  If that gap goes deep,  it will lead to a weaker join. If you can find them shim then it is structurally sound
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9099
    Tbh... if it was me... I’d send it back and get a replacement... like someone else has already said, you can’t “unknow” about the flaw now and there may always be that doubt... send it back, get another one.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom