Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Peach Guitars left the forum - well done you Cnuts

What's Hot

Comments

• AdamskiAdamski Frets: 1278
    edited September 2018
    Chalky said:
    Adamski said:
    Chalky said:
    Wow, missed this completely.

Cannot believe that a businessman would condemn a forum for the behaviour of one or two of its members. I've dealt with large companies where one or two arseholes made my work doubly difficult whilst working with them.  But I'd be a fool to condemn the thousands of other staff just because of the behaviour of the arseholes. It just makes no sense in business - you leave your emotions at home.
    You’re entirely missing the point. John is not condemning anyone! He didn’t even make this thread. He got some verbal harassment based of the R8 discussions and, rightly, thought best to sever his involvement in the forum, because he doesn’t need that hassle. It’s not a business decision because the success of his business has nothing to do with this forum. 
    It’s also not the same as someone going in to the shop or calling up and not agreeing with some policy or not getting a discount on a guitar or whatever and THEN getting abusive (as you say, that is business and it happens daily, especially in retail), this was a premeditated attack as a result of a thread on this forum and that is not on. 

Ah, my apologies @Adamski and thank you for your clear and understandable precis.
     No worries mate, this thread has become a jumbled mess and it’s hard to keep up! 

Also, my other message above was not about your comment. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Adamski said:
    I actually think this thread itself is proving that he made the correct decision. Why can’t we all just commiserate the loss of another retailer and opportunity for the forum and use it as a platform to try and stop this stuff happening again? Instead we still get bitchy comments and ridiculous opinion from keyboard warriors. 
    How to you propose stopping this happening again? It’s all well and good morning about it but do you have a solution?
  • AdamskiAdamski Frets: 1278
    Adamski said:
    I actually think this thread itself is proving that he made the correct decision. Why can’t we all just commiserate the loss of another retailer and opportunity for the forum and use it as a platform to try and stop this stuff happening again? Instead we still get bitchy comments and ridiculous opinion from keyboard warriors. 
    How to you propose stopping this happening again? It’s all well and good morning about it but do you have a solution?
    No of course not! Doesn’t mean we can’t talk about ways to improve things though, does it? That’s all I’m saying - you’d hope the responses in here would be “ah that’s a shame, how do we move on?” But they’re not. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GarthyGarthy Frets: 2268
    Chalky said:
    Wow, missed this completely.

Cannot believe that a businessman would condemn a forum for the behaviour of one or two of its members. I've dealt with large companies where one or two arseholes made my work doubly difficult whilst working with them.  But I'd be a fool to condemn the thousands of other staff just because of the behaviour of the arseholes. It just makes no sense in business - you leave your emotions at home.
    As the OP said, it was the last straw so not the only reason.
  • I can see you’re still hurting and I’ve made a mockery of the healing process 
    Quite. It doesn't stop you being wrong though. 

I’ll be back over in the guitar section of a guitar forum.

Be really good to see you over there sometime, we’ve missed you. Shame you’re only visits here these days are for the politics related threads and to get all shouty and angry at people. You used to be fun!

Enjoy the rest of your day

You clearly don't like the recording and effects sections and missed my lengthy cricket posts then. 

Enjoy the rest of your inaccuracies and impotent stabs at humour. 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    edited September 2018
    I can see you’re still hurting and I’ve made a mockery of the healing process 
    Quite. It doesn't stop you being wrong though. 

I’ll be back over in the guitar section of a guitar forum.

Be really good to see you over there sometime, we’ve missed you. Shame you’re only visits here these days are for the politics related threads and to get all shouty and angry at people. You used to be fun!

Enjoy the rest of your day

You clearly don't like the recording and effects sections and missed my lengthy cricket posts then. 

Enjoy the rest of your inaccuracies and impotent stabs at humour. 

You make umpteen comments per day on here @Heartfeltdawn so don't go all thin-skinned on us now. It is unbecoming to a man of your stature Surely this thread shows us that taking ourselves too seriously is the problem?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • I'd have this forum as a subscription only service. For the sake of £10 a month, which i imagine would help the running of the forum anyway paying for this service might dissuade some twats.
    I've never bought anything from peach but you can see he's helped out forum members above and beyond. Sure they are after a sale, but they don't HAVE to engage, the forum and major retailers involvement is all free of charge. 
    Its just sad that this keeps happening, Andertons, gak and now peach. I don't think guitarguitar would venture onto the forum as I've seen a few negative posts regarding them, same with PMT. 
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Adamski said:
    Adamski said:
    No of course not! Doesn’t mean we can’t talk about ways to improve things though, does it? That’s all I’m saying - you’d hope the responses in here would be “ah that’s a shame, how do we move on?” But they’re not. 
    But very few are talking about ways of improving things. Most are just whining. It’s unrealistic to expect everyone to have the same reaction. I’d rather live in a diverse world with some wankers than in a dictatorship.
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    WezV said:
    WYNIR0 said:
    I'll bet it was Drew. The bastard.

It certainly wasn't, and comments like that don't help the forum solve issues like this.

We can't blame "outsiders" for this, let's stop trying.

Jesus H. Christ ... when humour dies you know it's time to shut up shop.

Time to close the forum then .... looks like a forum witch hunt is getting a head of steam ..

Count me out!

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16781
    Fretwired said:
    WezV said:
    WYNIR0 said:
    I'll bet it was Drew. The bastard.

It certainly wasn't, and comments like that don't help the forum solve issues like this.

Jesus H. Christ ... when humour dies you know it's time to shut up shop.

Time to close the forum then .... looks like a forum witch hunt is getting a head of steam ..

Count me out!

We already covered the humour element in following posts.

I don't want a witch-hunt.  I just don't think it's appropriate to try and ignore this reoccurring issue by blaming others for it.   
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16781
    edited September 2018
    WezV said:
    WYNIR0 said:
    My attempt at sarcasm may have been dulled by beer and parental exhaustion.

I got that yours was meant in humour, but it follows on from other posts which seem to want to blame outside influences.

Sadly, I reckon this one it all on "us".
    @fretfinder the rest of it..    with slightly drunk typos
  • The level of analysis here guys is mindblowing. Two people on an Internet forum, (which doesn’t even register as a ripple in the grand scheme of guitars/music/life) have a fall out. One leaves. So what? Whether it’s his loss or everyone else’s matters very little. I know nothing about either party but are Peach some sort of celebrities? Or have they actually died? No.

They left a forum. That’s all. It’s a free country. They are no better or no worse for it. The end.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 14reaction image Wisdom
  • I think its sad that Peach have left the forum.   I also think its sad that a member felt it was acceptable to abuse a shop owner and their staff.    I also don't believe this thread is helping.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Chalky said:
    You make umpteen comments per day on here @Heartfeltdawn so don't go all thin-skinned on us now. It is unbecoming to a man of your stature Surely this thread shows us that taking ourselves too seriously is the problem?

Being thin-skinned would be stating an opinion, having someone disagree, and then choosing to respond with absurdities as the chap above has done. It's something I expect from the gentleman in question and his consistency is applauded. 

For accuracy, my history on this forum is split into two bits. When I'm cheffing, posting goes right down. It's rather hard posting during the busy days. 'Umpteen comments per day' has been the way since December last year as it's been a valuable reminder of sensible life after I voluntarily became a full-time career to two kids, one of whom is autistic, thanks to serious life-threatening illness to my partner's parents. Waffling about politicks (sic) helps to offload Roblox and Fortnite out of my head. Now they are better and the summer holidays have ended, my situation is about to change again, and you won't have to read things from me. I shall miss our debates because you bring a different perspective to the table. 

Now on the matter in question, I remain of the same opinion as before. Comparing what happened to a forum scammer to Peach is not correct and the gentleman doing so made some false statements. 

2reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • Boromedic said:
    There's some woeful posts in here whereby I'm struggling with the logic of them, but the usual caveat applies, opinions are like arseholes.....

adampeter said:
    Looking back over some of these comments is shocking, i'm amazed that some people just don't get it.
    How anyone could try and justify abusing another forum member regardless if they're selling their business or not is amazing.

I'm not sure why this had to be publically declared, on his behalf, on open forum though, it adds no value whatsoever. It wasn't an Admin action or intervention so shouldn't have been posted on that thread.

I just don't understand why some people think that any abuse is acceptable, or excusable.

I'm going to assume that I'm an indirect inclusion in these posts along with the other people who aren't queuing up to join your rabid lynch mob. If you go over and read the posts again I think you will find that no one is justifying or condoning and giving abuse to retailers. This whole thread had a huge "with us or against us" mob mentality but I reckon there's a bunch of people who actually just don't really care about the whole thing that much.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • Iamnobody said:

I'm not sure why this had to be publically declared, on his behalf, on open forum though, it adds no value whatsoever. It wasn't an Admin action or intervention so shouldn't have been posted on that thread.
    If I understand correctly TTony and digitalscream  have already put some work into developing a link with Peach that would have brought tangible benefits to the forum. That would have been quite a coup. 
    Some of the comments about Peach hoovering up £100k and not naming a charity for their raffle are just bizarre. Peach need the forum a lot less than the forum could have benefited from their input. They would have sold all of those R8's, probably to the same members here, and raffle tickets, whether they had posted updates or not.

I just don't understand why some people think that any abuse is acceptable, or excusable.

If I am dealing with Peach in the future, as I hope to be (possible Suhr custom order) I don't think I would be inclined to mention the Fretboard, which is a shame.

Why not mention the fretboard? Prove that it’s an individual/minority problem and that you are one of the decent members. 

If if they get enough positive experience it might swing things back in the forum’s favour.

I’ve never even shopped with Peach online or set foot in the place so probably won’t have that opportunity myself. 
    Exactly. Rather than throw your toys out of the pram act like sensible grown up human beings an interact with people in a decent way. You know given the disposable income you guys have it's a miracle that you don't learn this from your professional lives.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • Iamnobody said:

If I understand correctly TTony and digitalscream  have already put some work into developing a link with Peach that would have brought tangible benefits to the forum. That would have been quite a coup. 
    Some of the comments about Peach hoovering up £100k and not naming a charity for their raffle are just bizarre. Peach need the forum a lot less than the forum could have benefited from their input. They would have sold all of those R8's, probably to the same members here, and raffle tickets, whether they had posted updates or not.

If I am dealing with Peach in the future, as I hope to be (possible Suhr custom order) I don't think I would be inclined to mention the Fretboard, which is a shame.

Why not mention the fretboard? Prove that it’s an individual/minority problem and that you are one of the decent members. 

If if they get enough positive experience it might swing things back in the forum’s favour.

I’ve never even shopped with Peach online or set foot in the place so probably won’t have that opportunity myself. 
    I think it may be too late for that.  All this thread has done is confirm that Peach have probably done the right thing.
    I agree absolutely that every member should not be tarred with the one brush, but I think the dick/not-a-dick ratio is higher than I would be comfortable discussing with any retailer.

I can think of an action you could take to improve that ratio. Some of us have been on this community for 20+ years so insinuating that the board is full of dicks is pretty offensive.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Chalky said:

Being thin-skinned would be stating an opinion, having someone disagree, and then choosing to respond with absurdities as the chap above has done. It's something I expect from the gentleman in question and his consistency is applauded. 

For accuracy, my history on this forum is split into two bits. When I'm cheffing, posting goes right down. It's rather hard posting during the busy days. 'Umpteen comments per day' has been the way since December last year as it's been a valuable reminder of sensible life after I voluntarily became a full-time career to two kids, one of whom is autistic, thanks to serious life-threatening illness to my partner's parents. Waffling about politicks (sic) helps to offload Roblox and Fortnite out of my head. Now they are better and the summer holidays have ended, my situation is about to change again, and you won't have to read things from me. I shall miss our debates because you bring a different perspective to the table. 

Now on the matter in question, I remain of the same opinion as before. Comparing what happened to a forum scammer to Peach is not correct and the gentleman doing so made some false statements. 
    Agree ... Peach at least made a shedload of sales and made many forumites happy. I can't think of anything good that came of our architectural photographer bloke.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I think there’s a big difference between constructive criticism and outright bashing. Most people can tell the difference too.

One active FB community I’m in has a no trash talk policy, but it doesn’t censor people who say they don’t like things as long as it’s worded constructively 
    Assuming it's where Im thinking of the value proposition is different. That place gives a huge amount of actual high quality content away as well as includes in their subscription plans and also regularly gives actual tangible services away for free and encourages the member base to do likewise.

By contrast the although there is a lot of content here it is much lower in specific value terms where here the value proposition is more about having an open forum for discussion.

Seriously not to devalue some of the great bits of this forum (ICBM alone for example) but really the content quality is in another league.

TBH the banter was the best thing about this community and its slowly but surely being stamped out. 
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • RabsRabs Frets: 2613
    tFB Trader

Hmm..   Well I can add one thing to this...  And its more about the debate of what is allowed on here and how people treat each other.

I have been a member of the Gibson forum for many years now.. When I first started on there it was like the wild west or something.. Not really moderated, arguments all over the place and one of the busiest places ive ever seen. If you were a newbie, you had either better know what you are talking about or have some very very thick skin.

Over the years its been more and more moderated. And as such its got slower and slower... The acoustic section is even worse on there these days. If you even mention Martin or Taylor or something you get booed off the forum... Its so slow in general that its barely even worth visiting. More recently the mods will delete posts that are Gibson negative which we had a lot of during the whole chapter 11 thing and indeed even more people left because we aren't really allowed to do much but chat about the same old boring guitar myths and legends that we talk about here and its pretty dead now. The thing is as I have said on there before, if you cant be open about whats going on and all we are is Gibson fan boys, the forum is of no use to anyone so whats the point of having a place for discussion if we aren't allowed to talk about anything interesting about whats really going on in the world.

So in coming to this forum, I was really pleased in the way it is moderated and I think the people who run this place do a great job (you can never please everyone no matter what you do). Swearing and politics are allowed which aren't on the Gibson forum and while on here there is the odd row and arseholes being arseholes (yes they are everywhere) its a really decent and good place to be in general. And what makes it good is the members on here and the contributions from them. Sometimes its going to go to far as we are all human and all have different tastes and expectations.

So I say it doesn't really need to change on here in those terms or people will just leave if its over moderated as theres always going to be people who feel they haven't been treated fairly how ever its run.

As for how we treat each other..  Well that should just be down to common decency..   It doesn't mean you cant say what you want or be pissed at something..  But just be decent about it without getting too personal.. Its not that hard (most of the time :) ).

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom