Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Watch or Guitar ?

What's Hot

Comments

• SporkySporky Frets: 28337
    I haven't owned a mobile phone since I learned to shout really, really loud. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    9reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2168
    edited October 2018
    A nice watch is worth it. Sure you can tell the time with a casio fw91 for a tenner, but it's about handling something of quality. You can feel the difference.

I would love a nice Hamilton at some point. I started to get into watches and bought a few cheap ones, just because. I found I was only wearing my skx007 as it was a much nicer watch than the cheap casio. So sold the rest of them.
     Granted the  seiko is the most expensive watch I own, and it was only £170 but still compared to timex it makes me happy. 

Do what makes you happy, I can't afford to spend £2400 on a watch and I would rather have a few quality pieces for up to a grand rather than fifty cheap watches. You can extrapolate this into anything; same with shoes or clothes etc.
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Fishboy7Fishboy7 Frets: 2199
    Absolutely the guitar... you can use your phone to tell the time.  And it is hard not to look like a wanker when wearing an expensive watch, .....
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2084
    edited October 2018
    Fishboy7 said:
    Absolutely the guitar... you can use your phone to tell the time.  And it is hard not to look like a wanker when wearing an expensive watch, .....
    Mmmmm.....an interesting perspective ;0(...though not so easy to check the time on your phone whilst playing your new guitar ..

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Guitar_SlingerGuitar_Slinger Frets: 1489
    edited October 2018
    Sporky said:
    Do you want to be (or "Are you") the sort of person who thinks a £5 Casio is all the watch you need (which is an entirely valid position), or the sort of person who has a marvellous bit of engineering on their wrist?
    I tried the phone thing for about a year.  Worked OK most of the time, but was a annoying having to wrestle it from pockets, especially on the move. So I bought a £10 Casio to see if it was any easier, and it was, so I bought a different Casio.

My watch was a bit Spanish Inquisition - all I wanted was for it to tell the time accurately and not need winding (or a battery)*. I went for one with a rechargavle solar cell in the face and it corrects itself while I sleep.  Money well spent IMHO and used many times a day.

*And to have a countdown timer, alarm, glow in the dark and tell me both day and date in two time zones. While having fingers, a metal strap and be all black.

• richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24807
    My love of watches stems from visiting Manchester as a child with my late brother-in-law. He was an engineer and had a fascination with all things mechanical - and a real appreciation of anything which was beautifully made. He’d inevitably look in the window of Watches of Switzerland’s - pointing out various makes and models. He didn’t see them as status symbols - it was purely about an appreciation of the engineering.

Clearly my phone is ‘bang on’ accurate when it comes to telling the time - but my watch in a different league in terms of longevity and joy of ownership. It’s 31 years old and cost about twice what my iPhone cost me. A new one costs about 10 times as much as my phone. That looks like decent value to me....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5170
    edited October 2018
    I hate wearing watches....I might try for a day, then I realise they’re not for me.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22905
    Sporky said:
    Do you want to be (or "Are you") the sort of person who thinks a £5 Casio is all the watch you need (which is an entirely valid position), or the sort of person who has a marvellous bit of engineering on their wrist?
    I'm happy with a Casio, but I can appreciate that "proper" watches are beautiful things and marvels of engineering.  I just don't feel the need to spend a lot of money on one... or several.

Which is completely different from my attitude to guitars, but there you go.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BigBearKrisBigBearKris Frets: 1755
    edited October 2018
    Philly_Q said:

Not really on topic, but....

I had to get to work early (for me) today so I was a bit anxious about the time.  There was a bloke holding the handrail on the Tube near me, so I looked at his watch.

It was a Tissot (that's a pretty good make isn't it?) and said it was 10.00 on Friday 28 September.  It was actually 09.12 on Tuesday 2 October. 

Is there any point wearing that watch?

I value Tissot, they were always flawless for me. That guy just didn't know how to set the time, or battery died on it and he was too stupid to notice. 
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4928
    What's a watch?
  • Watch = Time
    Guitar = Timeless
  • dbphotodbphoto Frets: 716
    edited October 2018
    Some of the comments here would be like me joining in to a football thread and saying what’s the bloody point of that ;-)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3624
    Mechanical watches are fascinating in their own right once you learn and understand the intracies and differences between different movement types, especially vintage where most makes had their own in house movements as opposed to the mostly generic movements in mid price watches like Breitling etc nowadays. 

Watches do take up a lot less room than guitars too.  ;)

My interest is mainly vintage watches, here's an old Seamaster 120 of mine from 1972....

399488005f06149aab4c9b075315fa96ba8c402e92f6d599abd289bf390fd079dfa3c9e9jpg

The calibre 565 movements in these are beautiful....

View picture in original size
  • tekbowtekbow Frets: 1699

Mmmm... the whole inhouse movement thing doesn't have as much steam as people think it does.. it seems to be bandied about a lot these days like its a nostalgic thing that everyone used to do when they didn't.

The main difference is that back then a lot of manufactures bought in ebauches which they then modified and decorated, whereas a few years ago ETA stopped selling ebauches and would only sell completed movements, although thy would modify them to spec at the buyers request. There's a list somewhere of the modifications IWC would perform on the 7750 movement before it went in a pilots chrono. When ETA stopped selling Ebauches, they built the mods into the &&50 for IWC going forward.

That is until they limited the sale of OEM movements full stop and a bunch of manufacturers moved to Sellita.

In anycase, even Rolex used the Zenith El Primero movement in the Daytona up until the 90's

There were actually very few movements that were truly in house as a general rule.

Granted Omega's were actually in house. thy ruled the 70's and that 120 is stunning.

• im waiting for a joe bonamassa or slash signature watch
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28337
    Fishboy7 said:
    And it is hard not to look like a wanker when wearing an expensive watch, .....
    I think that comment probably says more about you than about anyone with an expensive watch. ;)

I'm pretty sure I look just as much of a wanker no matter what watch I'm wearing.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom

@midlifecrisis

there was a guitar in the window of one of the edinburgh watch shops a few months back, was gibson in association with longines or maybe Tissot. If you took the relative value of each piece if they ,weren't a set The watch was overpriced because it had gibson on it and the guitar was overpriced becaus it had some miniscule reference to watches somewhere on the guitar, i think it was the inlays.

• SnapSnap Frets: 6264
    tekbow said:

Mmmm... the whole inhouse movement thing doesn't have as much steam as people think it does.. it seems to be bandied about a lot these days like its a nostalgic thing that everyone used to do when they didn't.

The main difference is that back then a lot of manufactures bought in ebauches which they then modified and decorated, whereas a few years ago ETA stopped selling ebauches and would only sell completed movements, although thy would modify them to spec at the buyers request. There's a list somewhere of the modifications IWC would perform on the 7750 movement before it went in a pilots chrono. When ETA stopped selling Ebauches, they built the mods into the &&50 for IWC going forward.

That is until they limited the sale of OEM movements full stop and a bunch of manufacturers moved to Sellita.

In anycase, even Rolex used the Zenith El Primero movement in the Daytona up until the 90's

There were actually very few movements that were truly in house as a general rule.

Granted Omega's were actually in house. thy ruled the 70's and that 120 is stunning.

I have a Zenith Chronomaster GMT, white face, with the El Primero movement. It keeps impeccably good time, better than any other watch I have, and it looks lovely, very different to other watches really.

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6264
    Guitar for 2-3k? Think I'd possibly get a custom shop Tele. Gas wise, I reckon that's all I want now. A reet good Tele.
    edited October 2018

@Snap

That is gorgeous mate! honestly i feel that the zenith el prim is one of the most underrated Chrono's out there. It'd be my first choice. Maybe in a few years when i get back into regular work.. I rather like the 36000vph 1969 38mm.

Rolex actually slowed it down to 28000 for the daytona.