Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Watch or Guitar ?

What's Hot

Comments

• RockerRocker Frets: 4985
    A watch and a pair of cuff links will always look great. 
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28346
    Snap said:

I have a Zenith Chronomaster GMT, white face, with the El Primero movement. It keeps impeccably good time, better than any other watch I have, and it looks lovely, very different to other watches really.

That's ace. It looks like a happy robot. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6265

ha, yes it does!! I like the fact you can see the movement whirring away as well, very hypnotic. Has a lovely sound to it too. When you see what's going on, you can't fail to be impressed by the engineering. Its really amazing when you think about what's going on, all mechanical too. Very clever.

I know service costs on watches are high, but really they aren't when you think of the time and the skill you are paying for when they take these things apart, clean, calibrate and reassemble etc.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Watch = Time
    Guitar = Timeless
    I've played alongside that guitarist.
    PSN id : snakey33stoo
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Rocker said:
    A watch and a pair of cuff links will always look great. 
    But not as great as a decent guitar
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I .Used to wear watches. But got sore wrists when I was learning guitar. I also typed at work. Typesetter. I grew to detest watches. Wifey and sister got me watches for Xmas on a couple of occasions. I wore them for a few weeks now they in my drawer. Hate the things.
  • I own a decent watch. Omega Speedmaster Professional ie moonwatch. Wind up etc not auto. 

Ive had it a fair few years and love it but it gets worn very very occasionally ! It’s just too loseable/nickable to be honest. 

Currently thinking of selling and getting a CS relic Strat which would get FAR more use.
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 5002
    Imagine standing on a mountain side, hair blowing in the wind, playing a truly epic watch solo?
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Ah, but imagine if the Dambusters mission had started with everyone trying to get in tune with each other.

And two of them have floating tremolos.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28338
    A guy in London was murdered on the street this year for his Rolex.

No-one ever got murdered for a guitar, although a few people have murdered a song on their guitar
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    axisus said:

No-one ever got murdered for a guitar
    Citation needed.

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27057
    I own a decent watch. Omega Speedmaster Professional ie moonwatch. Wind up etc not auto. 

Ive had it a fair few years and love it but it gets worn very very occasionally ! It’s just too loseable/nickable to be honest. 

Currently thinking of selling and getting a CS relic Strat which would get FAR more use.
    That’s what insurance is for. I wear my Speedy almost every day, and the days I don’t it’s usually because I’m wearing my IWC. Both are insured and I’ll take them just about anywhere unless I doing something where it’s really going to be in the way or get fucked, like deep sea fishing or something
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24807
    I own a decent watch. Omega Speedmaster Professional ie moonwatch. Wind up etc not auto. 

That’s what insurance is for. I wear my Speedy almost every day, and the days I don’t it’s usually because I’m wearing my IWC. Both are insured and I’ll take them just about anywhere unless I doing something where it’s really going to be in the way or get fucked, like deep sea fishing or something
    I’ve worn my Rolex every day since I got it in 1987 - it isn’t ‘for best’ - it’s my only watch.

Its insured and if anyone were to hold a knife at me and demand it, it would be handed over pronto....
  • I own a decent watch. Omega Speedmaster Professional ie moonwatch. Wind up etc not auto. 

Yes, take your point @stickyfiddle. I have a Seiko Monster for everyday wear and anything to do with water. 

Do do you find the Speedy glass is easy to scratch though due to its design ?
  • fendergibsonfendergibson Frets: 562
    edited October 2018

I’ve worn my Rolex every day since I got it in 1987 - it isn’t ‘for best’ - it’s my only watch.

Its insured and if anyone were to hold a knife at me and demand it, it would be handed over pronto....
    I understand. I work outdoors and can be a clumsy git at times. Dunno about Rolex’s but the Speedy wouldn’t take the pain due to its design. 
    I love classic timepieces but guitars more. It was bought as an investment and maybe it’s time to pass it on to someone who would use it more than me. 

I cant stop thinking of fiesta red/shell pink relic Strats, that’s my problem  s
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27057

Yes, take your point @stickyfiddle. I have a Seiko Monster for everyday wear and anything to do with water. 

Do do you find the Speedy glass is easy to scratch though due to its design ?
    Yeah, a little. Mine is the hesalite version, which does naturally attract scratches more than a sapphire crystal, but they polish out easily enough. It’s all part of the “thing” of having this specific watch. 

Part of me wonders about getting a G-shock for a real knockabout sort of thing, but I have a Seiko sub-clone which does that job just fine really. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • fendergibsonfendergibson Frets: 562
    edited October 2018
    @stickyfiddle how do u polish the scratches out ? Do u use the toothpaste trick or something more sophisticated ?

Argos do a cheap battery Casio diver style watch in black - I use one. Waterproof 100m,day date, under £20 last time I checked and looks great/excellent timekeeper. Very good for sporty stuff and general dicking around.
  • strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2439
    Would it be sacrilege to get a sapphire glass Speedy? It's one of the few "nice" watches that really appeals to me.

Something like this:
    https://www.beaverbrooks.co.uk/0112109/Omega-Speedmaster-CoAxial-Chronograph-Mens-Watch/p
    Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2084
    strtdv said:
    Would it be sacrilege to get a sapphire glass Speedy? It's one of the few "nice" watches that really appeals to me.

Something like this:
    https://www.beaverbrooks.co.uk/0112109/Omega-Speedmaster-CoAxial-Chronograph-Mens-Watch/p
    Looks good to me !

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • strtdv said:

Something like this:
    My opinion - buy the moonwatch, the professional not the auto. It tells the time and has the chrono so doesn’t do much, but it IS the classic Speedy.