Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

HX Stomp

What's Hot

Comments

• @rossyamaha wow, a very kind offer. Previous setup was a way (which will stay) drive and a distortion (tried tonnes and never fully settled, stuff like Fulltone FD2, SD1, BD2, Proco Rat) then a TS9 as a boost (that will be staying) an envelope filter and a delay...usually a DD6. Whammy gets added if I need any pitch FX.

Load of different guitars, 335, Tele, couple of strats....amp is usually a 410 Deville.

Like I say, hopefully just going to be using it for FX, with a few amp patches setup in case of amp failure. 

I'm thinking something like TU3 - Whammy Crybaby - Helix - TS9 with the helix providing a smooth drive, distortion, delay, tremolo, maybe a univibe, possibly a clean boost (could I use and expression pedal for that?)

Any tips for where to start re creating patches etc will be warmly welcomed! Am I best editing patches etc via laptop? I really am out of the loop with regards to multi FX, modelling etc
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Oh and with regards to the tuner, same as @smudge_lad .....it's just all over the place! I could never use that live!
  • @rossyamaha wow, a very kind offer. Previous setup was a way (which will stay) drive and a distortion (tried tonnes and never fully settled, stuff like Fulltone FD2, SD1, BD2, Proco Rat) then a TS9 as a boost (that will be staying) an envelope filter and a delay...usually a DD6. Whammy gets added if I need any pitch FX.

Load of different guitars, 335, Tele, couple of strats....amp is usually a 410 Deville.

Like I say, hopefully just going to be using it for FX, with a few amp patches setup in case of amp failure. 

I'm thinking something like TU3 - Whammy Crybaby - Helix - TS9 with the helix providing a smooth drive, distortion, delay, tremolo, maybe a univibe, possibly a clean boost (could I use and expression pedal for that?)

Any tips for where to start re creating patches etc will be warmly welcomed! Am I best editing patches etc via laptop? I really am out of the loop with regards to multi FX, modelling etc
    OK leave it with me. Got some tone stuff to do today so will put something together for you. 

As far as editing patches goes, laptop is certainly one way but I would say if you intend to use it live, program from the unit so you get used to the UI. Nothing worse than having to tweak something half way through a gig and you're not sure what to press or where to go. 

I play guitar and take photos of stuff. I also like beans on toast.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    HX Stomp banjo ... :-)

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Yeah it was just a mess around with the factory presets......going into a 410 Blues Deville. Literally just straight in to the helix then in to my amp. Think that I need to watch some tutorials!

How crap is the tuner too?! 
    Do you need amp modelling or not?

• Only as an emergency backup (potentially got a few fly away gigs that it'd be handy for next year too) I'm more than happy with my current amps though....
    Only as an emergency backup (potentially got a few fly away gigs that it'd be handy for next year too) I'm more than happy with my current amps though....
    I've found the amps sound better with IR's .. the basic presets sound poor. You need to make your own ... having worked with the unit I'm impressed ..

• PablocrackersPablocrackers Frets: 181
    edited December 2018
    Yep im impressed i set up a 3 channel amp setup with snapshots using the friedman model going direct sounded pretty decent tbh but using IR’s they are night and day better over the stock cabs. As i say my main amps are a Friedman Smallbox and BE50 DLX and the stomp sounds plenty good enough to get into
  • simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    Anyone else finding their stomp a bit buggy over USB? FW 2.71...
    Sometimes it saves settings changes made in HX Edit, sometimes not.
    simonk said:
    No. Works as advertised for me.

• TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7420
    Fretwired said:
    HX Stomp banjo ... :-)

file under "just because you can, doesn't mean you should" :-) 
    Red ones are better. 
    edited December 2018
    simonk said:
    This is a thing apparently as there are a few instances of it cropping up on the Facebook thread. Bloody annoying.
    Its being investigated though, so a fix should be pending.
  • TADodgerTADodger Frets: 211
    Being on Christmas hols, I have just started playing with the HX Stomp that I bought back in the Black Friday sales. I think that I read somewhere (maybe heard on one of Jason Sadites vids) that if you have / own both a Helix and a Stomp and you open HX Edit with both plugged in via USB you can copy blocks between the two units (only six from Helix to Stomp obviously). 

I was wondering if there is a way to open downloaded Helix patches in HX Edit in order to copy across the main block elements for some of the best Helix patches - and then tweak in Stomp from there?
    edited December 2018
    TADodger said:

I was wondering if there is a way to open downloaded Helix patches in HX Edit in order to copy across the main block elements for some of the best Helix patches - and then tweak in Stomp from there?
    As long as you connect your Stomp and Floor/LT at the same time via two USB cables they’ll open two instances of Edit and you can copy and paste block between them.

Edit: sorry, I see you’ve said as much in your first paragraph! Doh!
  • Anyone using a Stomp with a Kemper? I'm so intrigued by this little thing.
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
  • siremoonsiremoon Frets: 1524
    edited December 2018
    TADodger said:

Disclaimer first. I don't have Stomp so I am assuming that HX Edit has some mechanism to prevent a Helix patch being opened with Stomp connected (different file extension/patch data/whatever).

HX Edit is not currently a stand alone editor, it's really a remote UI into the hardware so you can't open a patch in HX Edit unless its connected to a Helix family device.  So to transfer blocks between Helix and Stomp you'd have to open two instances of HX Edit with one connected to Helix and the other to Stomp.  Then load the patch into the Helix using its instance of HX Edit and copy across the blocks you want into Stomp via its instance of HX Edit.
    “He is like a man with a fork in a world of soup.” - Noel Gallagher
  • siremoon said:
    TADodger said:

Disclaimer first. I don't have Stomp so I am assuming that HX Edit has some mechanism to prevent a Helix patch being opened with Stomp connected (different file extension/patch data/whatever).

HX Edit is not currently a stand alone editor, it's really a remote UI into the hardware so you can't open a patch in HX Edit unless its connected to a Helix family device.  So to transfer blocks between Helix and Stomp you'd have to open two instances of HX Edit with one connected to Helix and the other to Stomp.  Then load the patch into the Helix using its instance of HX Edit and copy across the blocks you want into Stomp via its instance of HX Edit.
    My disclaimer - I only have an HX FX, not even a proper Helix, but I think this is correct. You can't edit a device that you're not attached to. If someone tries this and finds that you need to run two instances of HX Edit, with two USB cables and it still doesn't work, maybe it would be possible to share the same library? Download the Helix patch you want to use, edit it so it's only using the blocks available in a Stomp, save it to the library and then switch devices in order to download to the Stomp. Sounds a bit long-winded, though. 
    @siremoon and @TheBigDipper I fear 5hat you are correct, but was just hoping that here was a solution!
    OK, another question based on no useable answers from internet research.

What output device should I connect my stomp to in a small home office / studio that is no more than 2.5m x 3.5m to get the most representative guitar sound ( for home use plus jams, but could be differ for each).

Would a 8/10/12 inch wedge style monitor under my desk, or, a pair of small nearfield monitors be better?

and, suggestions for each please.....
  • CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    TADodger said:
    OK, another question based on no useable answers from internet research.

What output device should I connect my stomp to in a small home office / studio that is no more than 2.5m x 3.5m to get the most representative guitar sound ( for home use plus jams, but could be differ for each).

Would a 8/10/12 inch wedge style monitor under my desk, or, a pair of small nearfield monitors be better?

and, suggestions for each please.....
    Small nearlfields and I like Genelec 8020s our of the three monitors I own (Yamaha ms5 and Adam Ax7s)
    They also couple as decent studio monitors