Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

HX Stomp

What's Hot

Comments

• TADodgerTADodger Frets: 211
    Thanks @Cabicular for  nearfields, Genelecs are on my list, although looking at 8010a’s. Where do 8020 differ?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    For users of the Helix Stomp. Sometimes I get no sound out of my unit - it's connected to the computer and the editor is open although the patch being used is not being edited. I am using the FX loop. Switch the unit off and on again and everything works.

Anyone else had this?

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    TADodger said:
    Thanks @Cabicular for  nearfields, Genelecs are on my list, although looking at 8010a’s. Where do 8020 differ?
    I’ve not tried them side by side so I don’t know
    Genelec think they are great ...
    https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.audiomediainternational.com/.amp/recording/genelec-8010
  • HoraceBHoraceB Frets: 337
    Having had my Stomp for about three weeks I'm still getting to grips with the routing features and how to get the best out of it live. I'm at present using it live for stomp FX strait into my amp and at home for recording via USB. My disappointment is with the Rotary and pitch fx (was hoping to be able to move my Mini Vent and Pog off my board) the OD's & Distortions were actually better than I thought they would be but still prefer my pedals. Was wondering how others are using the stomp and routing in a live/gig situation and what (if any) disappointments or love you have for the unit. At the moment mine may be heading to the classifieds :D
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Cabicular said:
    TADodger said:
    I’ve not tried them side by side so I don’t know
    Genelec think they are great ...
    https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.audiomediainternational.com/.amp/recording/genelec-8010
    @Cabicular. Thanks, useful write-up. If I go for near fields, which I likely will, it seems to be a toss up between these and the ILoud Micro's. I note that the 8010's frequency range is quoted as 74Hz to 20KHz.

74Hz is quite a bit higher than other monitors I have looked at, is this likely to be an issue for guitar or bass playing?
  • CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    You can’t tell much from frequency responses alone
    placement and cabinet design as well as porting all play a part.
    I can only tell you my genelecs handle it fine for studio volume
     The other thing to remember is if they can reproduce bass from a recording ok then they will be more or less ok with it from a live instrument as long as you aren’t looking at bigger volumes in which case go for a bigger FRFR or an amp
  • siremoonsiremoon Frets: 1524
    HoraceB said:
    Having had my Stomp for about three weeks I'm still getting to grips with the routing features and how to get the best out of it live. I'm at present using it live for stomp FX strait into my amp and at home for recording via USB. My disappointment is with the Rotary and pitch fx (was hoping to be able to move my Mini Vent and Pog off my board) the OD's & Distortions were actually better than I thought they would be but still prefer my pedals. Was wondering how others are using the stomp and routing in a live/gig situation and what (if any) disappointments or love you have for the unit. At the moment mine may be heading to the classifieds :D
    The pitch shift effects are generally accepted as being pretty awful so disappointment there isn't a surprise however be aware that new ones are reportedly in the works.
    “He is like a man with a fork in a world of soup.” - Noel Gallagher
  • HoraceBHoraceB Frets: 337
    siremoon said:
    HoraceB said:
    The pitch shift effects are generally accepted as being pretty awful so disappointment there isn't a surprise however be aware that new ones are reportedly in the works.
    Cheers for that snippet, I better hang on to mine then :) To be fair I've spent a bit of time with it over the holidays and I'm getting some great results now, especially routing through my amp and PA. We use a Bose L1 system and I'm getting some fab stereo sounds. The other thing I've done is to keep my analog needs to pedals and embrace the Digital emulations of the stomp. 
  • shuikitshuikit Frets: 224
    TADodger said:

I was wondering if there is a way to open downloaded Helix patches in HX Edit in order to copy across the main block elements for some of the best Helix patches - and then tweak in Stomp from there?

Not a simple copy and paste, but hlx files are just structured text files, you can open them and pretty much figure out what's what. Or use this webpage to help https://dbagchee.github.io/helix-preset-viewer/

@shuikit, that is excellent, thanks.
    I picked up some Iloud Micro Monitors to use with the Stomp, but I cannot seem to get a good volume (i.e. even with the Stomp volume on full, Speakers up and guitar volume full the output seems quiet).

Am I missing a global setting that I should be adjusting to ensure accurate volume?
  • Cabicular said:
    TADodger said:
    OK, another question based on no useable answers from internet research.

What output device should I connect my stomp to in a small home office / studio that is no more than 2.5m x 3.5m to get the most representative guitar sound ( for home use plus jams, but could be differ for each).

Would a 8/10/12 inch wedge style monitor under my desk, or, a pair of small nearfield monitors be better?

and, suggestions for each please.....
    Small nearlfields and I like Genelec 8020s our of the three monitors I own (Yamaha ms5 and Adam Ax7s)
    They also couple as decent studio monitors 
    +1 to the Genelec's, they're great. I too had the Adam's and they were good but not as nice as the Genelec's.
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7420
    TADodger said:
    I picked up some Iloud Micro Monitors to use with the Stomp, but I cannot seem to get a good volume (i.e. even with the Stomp volume on full, Speakers up and guitar volume full the output seems quiet).

Am I missing a global setting that I should be adjusting to ensure accurate volume?
    output set to line or instrument level? 
    Red ones are better. 
    Instrument in and line out as far as I can see.
    OK, maybe it wasn’t set that way before as it seems to have better volume now!
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7420
    TADodger said:
    aye active monitorss will usually expect a line level signal (although some have a setting for instrument) 
    Red ones are better. 
    TimmyO said:
    TADodger said:
    aye active monitorss will usually expect a line level signal (although some have a setting for instrument) 
    Well thanks for the nudge because it made me go to the I/o and it seems fixed now. Just need some decent patches!
  • I am looking to purchase a Stomp in the coming weeks, but I don't own a PC or laptop.

How much extra can you do/must you do with HX Edit to maximise the unit's potential? 

I plan to use it as a stand alone amp modeller straight to the PA for those gigs where there's not enough room to swing a cat on stage, and as a gig backup to my regular amp/pedalboard setup.

I am hoping that enough parameters can be accessed and tweaked with the on board controls to get the "professional grade" sound that Line 6 state can be achieved with this bit of kit. 

• simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    edited January 2019
    I am looking to purchase a Stomp in the coming weeks, but I don't own a PC or laptop.

How much extra can you do/must you do with HX Edit to maximise the unit's potential? 

I plan to use it as a stand alone amp modeller straight to the PA for those gigs where there's not enough room to swing a cat on stage, and as a gig backup to my regular amp/pedalboard setup.

I am hoping that enough parameters can be accessed and tweaked with the on board controls to get the "professional grade" sound that Line 6 state can be achieved with this bit of kit. 

You can do everything on the unit itself.

Although you’ll need a computer to connect via USB if you want to load IR’s or paid for presets/CustomTone downloads etc
  • MoltisantiMoltisanti Frets: 1132
    i've had one for about 3 weeks and haven't connected it to a computer yet