The FB BJJ / MA Thread

What's Hot

Comments

• FuengiFuengi Frets: 2850
    Sounds good, I wish my takedowns were a lot better but there is always something to work on and it's rarely them!

Our gym is really busy at the moment, it's great. Beginners class is consistently 15 -20 guys twice a week, I'm helping out with those just giving tips on some basic techniques. Really enjoy that.

Have been training three times a week, including one double session, so four hours of BJJ. Have dropped a weight class to 76kg without actively trying to lose any weight. 

Have been going back to basics myself and looking at and drilling little details for armbars and triangles from guard and have started hitting those in sparring. 

Focussing on overlook attacks now from guard... still loving it. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • AK99AK99 Frets: 1594
    Fuengi said:

Our gym is really busy at the moment, it's great. Beginners class is consistently 15 -20 guys twice a week, I'm helping out with those just giving tips on some basic techniques. Really enjoy that.

Nice when you can pay it back to other players as a kind of return for all the guys who helped you :)

Coaching others is actually really good for your own technique - makes you think through what the fundamentals of any given technique or skill actually are before you can try to teach it to others.  (Even better at times when somebody asks - what happens if I try to do it this way ? )
    UFC card is stacked with grapplers, and it's UK time from 5pm. Should be a good night of fights, who's watching?
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3339
    Oh definitely. Is that 5pm main or prelims?
    grungebob said:
    Oh definitely. Is that 5pm main or prelims?

5pm Prelims. Main Card from 7pm.

UFC 267: Blachowicz vs Teixeira Fight Card

Jan Blachowicz (c) vs Glover Teixeira - Light heavyweight

Petr Yan vs Cory Sandhagen - Bantamweight

Islam Makhachev vs Dan Hooker - Lightweight

Alexander Volkov vs Marcin Tybura - Heavyweight

Li Jingliang vs Khamzat Chimaev - Welterweight

Magomed Ankalaev vs Volkan Oezdemir - Light heavyweight 

UFC 267: Blachowicz vs Teixeira prelims

Amanda Ribas vs Vima Jandiroba - Women's strawweight

Ricardo Ramos vs Zubaira Tukhugov - Featherweight

Albert Duraev vs Roman Kopylov - Middleweight

Elizeu Zaleski dos Santos vs Benoit St Denis - Welterweight

Makwan Amirkhani vs Lerone Murphy - Featherweight

Yeah thanks for that looks like a decent lined up. 
  • FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2422
    FINALLY - after 2 years due to Covid - going for my (traditional) Ju Jitsu grading tomorrow. Grading for blue belt, which in our syllabus is 2 from 1st Dan black belt.

It's going to be intense; running through everything takes about 40 mins, non-stop. Fingers crossed all goes well though - will be exactly 2 years to the day since I got my current belt!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    FarleyUK said:
    FINALLY - after 2 years due to Covid - going for my (traditional) Ju Jitsu grading tomorrow. Grading for blue belt, which in our syllabus is 2 from 1st Dan black belt.

It's going to be intense; running through everything takes about 40 mins, non-stop. Fingers crossed all goes well though - will be exactly 2 years to the day since I got my current belt!
    Good luck with it, hope it goes well. 

Next Friday is our grading night with all of next week full of tests and hard rolling (shark tank) but I’m not holding out for much as I’ve had three weeks off with torn cartilage in my knee, tried class last night and it hurt just drilling still so looks like I won’t get to take part in the fun. 
    FarleyUK said:

Best of luck with it, but you'll be grand.

Getting a new belt is a great thing - proof you're getting better, and payback for all of the effort you put in. First night back at the club with the new belt on - even better :)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    So, I've been told I'm about a year of consistent training away from my purple belt. Huge motivation. 

I've been helping with the beginners group, they are all much younger, fit, strong and mostly bigger than me and after a few months training becoming a handful.

It's actually really helped my game become much more patient, careful and opportunist. I can now handle the aggressive white belts much more easily and bait them in to doing something dumb then take advantage. 

Fingers crossed I can stay on the mats and keep consistent. I'll have to do at least one competition this year too, but now I'm in the Masters 5 division, not sure that will be stacked with blue belts! 
    edited January 2022
    @Fuengi hey congratulations dude! What are the chances but I got told that recently too on our last grading night in December. I’ve been off the mats injured the past 6-8weeks but still managed to pickup a stripe on my blue. 
    I still don’t think I’m worthy of a blue so to be told  that  I’m more than just a blue and if I keep healthy I could be a purple is almost disconcerting, I don’t know why. 
    Perhaps because I’m better at defence and not attacking that I feel I’m more closer to a blue belt?
    maybe I should try a comp this year, think I’d be masters 2 though. 

• Fuengi said:

It's actually really helped my game become much more patient, careful and opportunist. I can now handle the aggressive white belts much more easily and bait them in to doing something dumb then take advantage. 

@Fuengi  ;Have you watched any of the Defensive BJJ videos on youtube? 
    They've revolutionised how I roll with aggressive/strong partners. It's all common sense about defending hooks, but it's really well explained. (You can easily watch at 1.5x speed as he talks clearly and slowly). 

• FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2422
    FarleyUK said:

Got it :)

Grading took almost 45 minutes of non-stop action. Pretty knackering but well worth it.

Aiming for purple in March, and then Brown end of the year / early 2023... with black 1st dan at least 1 year after that.

Also upped my weapons training as well - going on kobudo courses, have a pair of sai now too.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Fuengi said:

They've revolutionised how I roll with aggressive/strong partners. It's all common sense about defending hooks, but it's really well explained. (You can easily watch at 1.5x speed as he talks clearly and slowly). 

Thanks for these, I'll take a look when I can. 

I've been watching a lot of Roy Dean tutorials, they seem to work well for me. 

@grungebob know exactly what you mean, feeling slightly a fraud. Some nights I can more than hold my own, other nights I get tapped a few times. I don't tend to get smashed any more except by a couple of purple belts who tie me up in knots, but even then I can defend for a while. It's hard to compare your game against a constantly improving class. 

Congratulations @FarleyUK ;
    Fuengi said:

Watched the first half of the Globetrotters tutorial and rolled last night with the intention of not letting anyone gain control between my armpits and knees.

It worked against everyone except the purple belt I rolled with, he is excellent at attacking that space, although he took my back once and I just defended hooks and he struggled to do anything. Even hit the Running Man a few times and felt completely secure. Interesting.

Tried the principles of this tonight. The running man got me out of a lot of trouble. I’ll need to work on the rest still. 
    grungebob said:
    Tried the principles of this tonight. The running man got me out of a lot of trouble. I’ll need to work on the rest still. 
    What I liked about the Running Man was the way he switched sides face down to the mat, in the traditional frame position you can't really do that. 
    It frustrated the hell out of the purple belts. So much so in the end they got me with a cheeky heel hook in the Gi. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited January 2022
    Fuengi said:

I don't tend to get smashed any more except by a couple of purple belts who tie me up in knots, but even then I can defend for a while. It's hard to compare your game against a constantly improving class. 

That's one invariable truth. it's a bit like Formula 1 - where even the slowest times are faster in qualifying half way through the season than the Pole-Sitters are at the start.

I find round our way, once - maybe on a very rare occasion, a second time - you get to pull off a great move against one of the Good guys, and that's it, it's over, finished, Everybody (or at least all of the experienced guys) knows the score, knows how to counter against it, and it never works again (or at least not in your own club :) ). It's a constantly moving battlefield out there.

One of the things that keeps it fresh.

Went back training briefly in November, but we had my mum down staying over Christmas, and I didn't think it was fair to go wrestling and possibly bring the bug back to her. Am envious of you chaps back training - hope it's going well for y'all.
  • Glad you guys liked it.
    I've been playing with it for a few months, the key is to transition between the positions. 
    I initially just used them as ways to not get tapped, now I'm trying flow from one to the other looking for openings to start my offence. 

Unfortunately my coach got interested in what we were doing, watched the videos, understood them better than us & taught the rest of the gym! 
    So I'm back to square one!

I really like the Globetrotters videos, I think they're well put together. I'd love to do one of their camps.