The FB BJJ / MA Thread

What's Hot

Comments

• FuengiFuengi Frets: 2850
    Been training BJJ three times a week recently and definitely felt the difference. I'm using my hooks much more effectively off my back, I've generally got three limbs doing something now which is giving more guys problems. 

Hit a really nice Flower Sweep from guard straight into an Americana on Thursday, very pleasing. 

Got the first stripe on by blue belt yesterday morning at the end of training. 

Loving training at the moment! 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • beed84beed84 Frets: 2414
    Been back at Wing Chun class for the past few weeks. It’s no contact at the moment, so we’re missing out on chi sau and drills, but being able to train again is an absolute god send. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    beed84 said:
    Been back at Wing Chun class for the past few weeks. It’s no contact at the moment, so we’re missing out on chi sau and drills, but being able to train again is an absolute god send. 
    In a quantum sense, bjj is also non-contact. 
  • zepp76zepp76 Frets: 2534
    beed84 said:
    Wing Chun without contact is not Wing Chun!
    Tomorrow will be a good day.
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3339
    Fuengi said:
    Been training BJJ three times a week recently and definitely felt the difference. I'm using my hooks much more effectively off my back, I've generally got three limbs doing something now which is giving more guys problems. 

Hit a really nice Flower Sweep from guard straight into an Americana on Thursday, very pleasing. 

Congrats on the stripe! My first week back last week and I felt like a newbie all over again. Very uncoordinated. 
    grungebob said:
    Fuengi said:

Congrats on the stripe! My first week back last week and I felt like a newbie all over again. Very uncoordinated. 
    Cheers. We've had quite a few little niggles and injuries occur from going too fast, too soon. Constant reminders from our coach to take it easy, but everyone is just so excited to be back it's hard to control. 
    zepp76 said:
    beed84 said:
    Wing Chun without contact is not Wing Chun!
    Aha there’s plenty of form and footwork to keep us busy!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GreatapeGreatape Frets: 3595
    Most of what I have done is aikido, for about 14-15 years. But there's aikido and there's aikido, and perhaps more than most MA's there is limited quality control. A certain amount of compliance is necessary at low grades but I don't like it when senior grades 'throw themselves: (for example, how Yamaguchi liked it - you 'play your part') and I much prefer taking ukemi for people where you have no choice but to go, and wonder how you ended up on the floor..

I think the 'throw yourself' comes in because people don't know how to a) maintain their centre and structural integrity and b) take the other guy's balance before finishing him. 

My sensei was forces/police with extensive experience across other things, so there was a certain practical bent involving getting punched a lot. That school also encompassed iaido. 

Last few years have been involved in Daito Ryu. Subtler, more compact than aikido. Exploring internal dynamics more. 

Have dabbled in escrima. I really love that. I would love to try BJJ with a good teacher. But: time (mostly) and money. 

Have missed being on the mat but it has allowed a couple of persistent injuries to clean up. 

McGregor's leg!  :o
    :open_mouth: 
    Shame, that looked to be a great fight shaping up. Dustin is as well rounded a martial artist as there is on the roster. 
    Yep that was a shocker. I thought it was shaping up to be a banger. Obviously Dustin took the first but I thought Conors tactics and precision were going to trouble him in the second. 
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    grungebob said:
    Yep that was a shocker. I thought it was shaping up to be a banger. Obviously Dustin took the first but I thought Conors tactics and precision were going to trouble him in the second. 
    Conor is a seriously vile human being. 
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4317
    grungebob said:
    He was good at what he does, but yes. He seems to be one of life’s proper scumbags. 

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

CHRISB50 said:
    grungebob said:
    He was good at what he does, but yes. He seems to be one of life’s proper scumbags. 
    I tend to agree, but I do worry for him. He'll never be happy and content no matter what he achieves. 

The story about the guy who he punched in the bar, then bought the bar and banned him! If that is true, it just shows what a petty, vindictive, self centered individual he truly is. 
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4317
    Fuengi said:
    CHRISB50 said:
    grungebob said:
    I tend to agree, but I do worry for him. He'll never be happy and content no matter what he achieves. 

The story about the guy who he punched in the bar, then bought the bar and banned him! If that is true, it just shows what a petty, vindictive, self centered individual he truly is. 
    It’s strange really. As a student of boxing / martial arts you’d think he would have more discipline and self control etc. But he just doesn’t seem to be able to help himself. 

I knew he hit that old fella in the bar but didn’t know the second bit. As you say, if true, wow. 

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

Fuengi said:
    CHRISB50 said:
    grungebob said:

And stupid. Like any customer would go back after being punched by the new owner. If it’s true, I’d say Conor needlessly put himself out of pocket.
    I'm quite enthused by the Jan Blachowicz v Glover Teixira title fight coming up at UFC266, not least because they have a combined age of 79 years!

I'm sure that will be more respectful and disiplined in the build-up.

• TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10263
    edited July 2021
    My boxing club has shut down and I’m toying with the idea of BJJ. Might go this Monday to a local club. Any advice? 

How heavy is this on your lower back and neck?
    edited July 2021
    My boxing club has shut down and I’m toying with the idea of BJJ. Might go this Monday to a local club. Any advice? 

How heavy is this on your lower back and neck?
    Just let them know you’re coming. Wear shorts and a T-shirt, don’t wear shoes on the matts. Cut your toe and finger nails short. 
    There are some positions like stack passing that are taxing on the lower back and neck but just inform your training partner your issues and they’ll help work around them. 
    It’s a great sport/martial art you’ll get more supple and stronger in your core as you progress. 
    In London you should have lots of good options. Try a few and see which one fits. You can always guest roll at another. 

As @grungebob says, just flag this up and they really should accommodate you. 
  • riverciderrivercider Frets: 461
    edited July 2021
    Hall v Strickland tonight could be a special fight. Hall has some incredible finishes to his name and seems to be finding consistency.

Incidentally, my days of MA are long gone now, even more so following scans showing I have three tears in tendons in my shoulder following a fall down a riverbank last September.  So I can't see myself ever going back to it, as I'm now into my 50s.  But fair play to everyone here who keeps at it.