The FB BJJ / MA Thread

What's Hot

Comments

• AK99AK99 Frets: 1597

@Fuengi  ;Have you watched any of the Defensive BJJ videos on youtube? 
    They've revolutionised how I roll with aggressive/strong partners. It's all common sense about defending hooks, but it's really well explained. (You can easily watch at 1.5x speed as he talks clearly and slowly). 

Took the time to watch the first of those vids all the way through tonight. Really excellent. 

I recognise a lot of the defensive tactics - you'd see them fairly frequently with the more experienced players - but in all the long years I've been playing judo, I've never heard them articulated or explained.

Closest I got to gaining an insight was recognising at the start of the season you often either catch guys in arm-locks that you normally never would - or vice versa - they catch you in soft hold-downs or locks that you'd normally never give away... and then wondering why you/they don't do it as often a couple of weeks later. With hindsight now, and the input from the vid, Id say it was down to muscle memory starting to kick in again and you start to remember the positions you want to avoid, but without ever fully having understood why. 

Not often you come across guys who have thought stuff through right back to the fundamentals - never mind find ones who are prepared to share it.

Great video - thx for the steer @stimpsonslostson  :)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2850
    Difficult training of late, but hopefully coming through it now.. I rolled with a strong, young wrestler end of January, got into a bad position and as a result ended up with a bulging disk in my upper back which is trapping the ulner nerve.

Apart from some general discomfort while training it's been manageable at 50% intensity and below. Really frustrating though as it just slows every movement down. 

The worst has been sleeping at night. Laying on either arm instantly made my left arm go completely numb from my left little finger and ring finger. 

Seems be be close to resolving now, but still going steady. I'm away camping in the Western Highlands next week and don't want a recurrence before I go, but have a competition lined up in early June that I need to train for, so can't afford time out the gym. 

Being injured absolutely sucks. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3339
    Just take it easy. Do what you can and nothing more otherwise you’ll be out for much longer. 
    I’ve a scan next week on one of my shoulders as it’s been dicky for years but it’s getting to the point it’s limiting my rolling and drilling. 
    Before that I thought I blew my knee out back in November , initial thoughts were mcl and cap damage but turns out it was the hamstring at the back of the knee. I tried rushing it back after 2 months and hurt it again. I’m now only just at the point I dare use it again. 
    Getting old sucks 
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    Fuengi said:
    Difficult training of late, but hopefully coming through it now.. I rolled with a strong, young wrestler end of January, got into a bad position and as a result ended up with a bulging disk in my upper back which is trapping the ulner nerve.

Apart from some general discomfort while training it's been manageable at 50% intensity and below. Really frustrating though as it just slows every movement down. 

The worst has been sleeping at night. Laying on either arm instantly made my left arm go completely numb from my left little finger and ring finger. 

Seems be be close to resolving now, but still going steady. I'm away camping in the Western Highlands next week and don't want a recurrence before I go, but have a competition lined up in early June that I need to train for, so can't afford time out the gym. 

Have you been to a chiropractor?

The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    Fuengi said:

Have you been to a chiropractor?

One I'd the guys I roll with is a physio. and he has checked me over and is monitoring it with me.

He says nerves are a bugger because they carry a longer memory than muscle, so the effects can be felt long after the actual injury is gone. 

Reduced intensity seems to have played out ok for this, although it's possible it would have resolved quicker had I rested completely. I'm one for keeping moving if I can though. 

Definitely improving, nearly through it now. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    DefaultM said:
    It's kinda true.

However, Oliveira showed the true value of a devastating ground game at the weekend. Every time he got clipped on the feet he just went down and took a breather. Nobody wants to engage him down there. 

When Gaetche got dropped he just jumped on him. 
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7350
    edited May 2022
    Yeah it was brill, the first time he did it I thought clever of Gaethje he knows he doesn't want to be down there. However then it happened again and I thought what's your plan then? Knock him out so badly on the feet that the ref just stops the fight? 

That fight saved the PPV for me. I stayed up to watch it for the first time, but I fell asleep and woke up just to see Tony Ferguson's jaw getting kicked off his face. Not what I wanted at all, but I was looking forward to the Rose fight so went to bed and saved it for the next day and well... 
    DefaultM said:
    Yeah it was brill, the first time he did it I thought clever of Gaethje he knows he doesn't want to be down there. However then it happened again and I thought what's your plan then? Knock him out so badly on the feet that the ref just stops the fight? 

That fight saved the PPV for me. I stayed up to watch it for the first time, but I fell asleep and woke up just to see Tony Ferguson's jaw getting kicked off his face. Not what I wanted at all, but I was looking forward to the Rose fight so went to bed and saved it for the next day and well... 
    It's was all very odd that Rose performance wasn't it? She and her (usually excellent) team had an off night. 

I thought Oliveira was outstanding. 
    My friend told me

"Make sure you watch the Rose / Esparza fight. It takes a while to warm but once it does it's like Gastelum/Adesanya"

Prick haha.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Smug rose more like. I don’t know what her team were thinking. Even after the event she was adamant in her performance?
    charlie had a blinder, the dudes so talented but you do have to question his chin, although he took some of Justin’s best and shook it off. 

I felt bad for Tony, I thought he had a decent 1st round. 
    Yeah after round 4 I said I think she's gonna lose her belt here and she deserves it. Absolutely ridiculous. She's just kicked off Wei Lei's head in one fight and beat her on decision in another, then she's doing this with someone who I'm sorry but looks like a mum getting her hour in at Pure Gym before going to pick the kids up from school.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • AK99 said:

@Fuengi  ;Have you watched any of the Defensive BJJ videos on youtube? 
    They've revolutionised how I roll with aggressive/strong partners. It's all common sense about defending hooks, but it's really well explained. (You can easily watch at 1.5x speed as he talks clearly and slowly). 

Took the time to watch the first of those vids all the way through tonight. Really excellent. 

I recognise a lot of the defensive tactics - you'd see them fairly frequently with the more experienced players - but in all the long years I've been playing judo, I've never heard them articulated or explained.

Closest I got to gaining an insight was recognising at the start of the season you often either catch guys in arm-locks that you normally never would - or vice versa - they catch you in soft hold-downs or locks that you'd normally never give away... and then wondering why you/they don't do it as often a couple of weeks later. With hindsight now, and the input from the vid, Id say it was down to muscle memory starting to kick in again and you start to remember the positions you want to avoid, but without ever fully having understood why. 

Not often you come across guys who have thought stuff through right back to the fundamentals - never mind find ones who are prepared to share it.

Great video - thx for the steer @stimpsonslostson  :)

I spent last weekend at a seminar in Glasgow taught by Priit, all about defending back attacks. 
    It was great fun- I learned a lot of details you can't get from the videos, got some good rounds in and met some lovely people. If you're ever in Glasgow, I recommend Ronin Grappling- cool bunch of guys and girls
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    edited July 2022
    Our gym had the big boss in on Sunday - BJJ legend Roberto "Gordo" Correa - he did a two hour seminar on half guard (he developed half guard as an attacking position), then took questions for 40 minutes and photos for another half hour. 

He was just on another level. Unbelievable. I'm on the left  ;)

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    @Fuengi  3 stripes now mate?! Well done. 
    grungebob said:
    Yep. Rolled with my black belt (on the right) a couple of weeks ago and he gave me my third stripe. Nice surprise, especially as I've been injured most of this year and having to roll light for much of the time. 

Need to get a competition in this year at some point and hope to hear towards my purple belt some time next year. 

How  are you getting on @grungebob
    Fuengi said:
    grungebob said:
    Yep. Rolled with my black belt (on the right) a couple of weeks ago and he gave me my third stripe. Nice surprise, especially as I've been injured most of this year and having to roll light for much of the time. 

Need to get a competition in this year at some point and hope to hear towards my purple belt some time next year. 

How  are you getting on @grungebob
    Slow and steady for me. I got a bad knee/hamstring injury late last year that put me out for a few months completely and slowed me down a bit on my return. I got my 1st blue belt stripe in December out of sympathy I think lol but  during the last round of levels ups I didn’t get anything but I am where I am skills wise no complaints there. 
    The gyms been discussing comps this year and maybe I could give one a go. I’m guessing I’d be masters III at my age but would need to check weight classes as I flit between 82-87kgs
  • Anyone partaking in any comps this year?
  • FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2422
    Found out last week - via a very out of the blue email - that my Japanese JJ class is closing with immediate effect. I was actually in 2 minds as to whether to go back or not, as there are some real egos there, which I hate. So, in some ways it answered the question for me.

However, it then transpired that a couple of the senior members - including Mr Ego - are trying to take it on, and adults classes are still happening. I have to say though, I'm not very keen.

So, I've found a different martial arts school near me, where I'll be going for a couple of taster sessions in October (when I'm back from the US). It's Taijitsu (which is just Ju Jitsu, basically), and they seem like a nice bunch from what I've seen. Only trouble is, I need to start at white belt again!
    grungebob said:
    Anyone partaking in any comps this year?

Yes. I've signed up for the Dorset & Hants Open again this month. I missed it last time as my knee blew up a couple of weeks before I was due to compete last time.

My instructor has told me to get a comp in and then expect to get my Purple Belt by the end of the year.