The FB BJJ / MA Thread

What's Hot
1212223242527»

Comments

• grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3322
    Mostly just bruises and sore joints but I’ve torn or snapped a few ligaments. I think just like judo broken toes is the most common for BJJ. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I've had a few bad ones- torn rotator cuff, dislocated knee and herniated discs being the worst. The discs put me out for 18 months.
     All came from people applying submissions with "enthusiasm" rather than technique. The ability to spar with a high level of resistance is both a blessing and a curse! 

Bruises and sore joints are certainly most common- I'm sporting a fetching black eye today following a white-belt's failed attempt at a cartwheel pass.  :s

As I get older and (hopefully) better at BJJ, I'm finding I'm still getting niggles (I tape my fingers due to tendonitis) but fewer injuries. 
     I select my training/sparring partners according to how I'm feeling and what I'm working on. There are some within the club who I simply won't spar with- to his credit our coach is excellent at weeding out people who aren't careful and addressing it. This is one of the reasons I like the club I train at.  
    That said, I'd much rather get murdered by a technical brown/black belt than get into a battle with a white belt who lacks control.

When I joined my current club I reappraised my training schedule too. I ensure I've got recovery days and do yoga etc between sessions. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • There are some within the club who I simply won't spar with- to his credit our coach is excellent at weeding out people who aren't careful and addressing it. This is one of the reasons I like the club I train at.  
    That said, I'd much rather get murdered by a technical brown/black belt than get into a battle with a white belt who lacks control.

Ha, yeah same here. Gung ho newbies going too fast or trying to be creative or both!
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2850
    I've had a few bad ones- torn rotator cuff, dislocated knee and herniated discs being the worst. The discs put me out for 18 months.
     All came from people applying submissions with "enthusiasm" rather than technique. The ability to spar with a high level of resistance is both a blessing and a curse! 

Bruises and sore joints are certainly most common- I'm sporting a fetching black eye today following a white-belt's failed attempt at a cartwheel pass.  :s

As I get older and (hopefully) better at BJJ, I'm finding I'm still getting niggles (I tape my fingers due to tendonitis) but fewer injuries. 
     I select my training/sparring partners according to how I'm feeling and what I'm working on. There are some within the club who I simply won't spar with- to his credit our coach is excellent at weeding out people who aren't careful and addressing it. This is one of the reasons I like the club I train at.  

When I joined my current club I reappraised my training schedule too. I ensure I've got recovery days and do yoga etc between sessions. 
    Exactly this. 

The best coaches seem to know intuitively, or certainly can spot early, the ones who are going to be trouble. 
    Enjoying rolling as a purple belt so far. I feel like a weight of expectation has been removed, I no longer have to be the 'top blue belt'. 

Knees close to chest playing bottom is definitely helping, my guard is getting much harder to pass. 

I've been working on Granby rolls to retain guard and found it leads to lots of triangle and omoplata opportunities. 

Can't wait for the weather to warm up though! 
    I’ve noticed since I started rolling as a purple im not so quick to admit defeat and tap. I wait a fraction longer and more often than not escape the situation and improve my position. 
    Don’t get me wrong I still tap early and often it’s just I’m mentally more prepared to test myself. 
  • Well well, the landlady at my local just took a gold at the BJJ European Championship. Shall have to say congrats next time I'm in for a beer.
    https://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/news/plymouth-news/plymouths-clovelly-bay-inn-landlady-8102645?fbclid=IwAR2LnL0vUljLaFNVPMdGjNC1NW_iPCFudze1IOtcx6UvGvUm89q0r_0DGBE

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Don’t skip your bar tab!
    Well well, the landlady at my local just took a gold at the BJJ European Championship. Shall have to say congrats next time I'm in for a beer.
    https://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/news/plymouth-news/plymouths-clovelly-bay-inn-landlady-8102645?fbclid=IwAR2LnL0vUljLaFNVPMdGjNC1NW_iPCFudze1IOtcx6UvGvUm89q0r_0DGBE

Fantastic!

A brown belt at my gym competed in Paris at that tournament.
  • Just spent the weekend in Glasgow at a seminar taught by Jon Thomas. 
    It was excellent, LOADS of good content & insights into training/mindset strategies. 

It's going to take a while to assimilate all the info.

I;m VERY tired now (& my fingers are sore)!
  • I unexpectedly got my purple belt this weekend. 
    I was on three stripes, so thought I had 6 months to go, but my coach obviously felt different. 

I now have imposter syndrome- I imagine it'll last several months as I get used to the new belt. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Biggest problem I have with martial arts/hard trainers is giving myself time to recuperate.
    I have jujitsu 3x a week and then fencing 3x a week. I ache all the time. I’m getting (a lot) older and things take an age to heal. 
    I am, I think, quite addicted to endorphins and adrenaline. 
  • Biggest problem I have with martial arts/hard trainers is giving myself time to recuperate.
    I have jujitsu 3x a week and then fencing 3x a week. I ache all the time. I’m getting (a lot) older and things take an age to heal. 
    I am, I think, quite addicted to endorphins and adrenaline. 
    For sure. I'm over 40 and have to do yoga/stretch every morning. 
    I've found moving from Olympic lifting to kettlebell stuff has improved my resilience to injury, but I take a complete rest day one day a week. On that day I don't do anything other than stretch and go for a walk.  
  • AK99AK99 Frets: 1578

I now have imposter syndrome- I imagine it'll last several months as I get used to the new belt. 
    No - you're a target now for all those still at your old belt level or below. That accelerates the process :)

(Congrats on the new belt too btw.)
    Congratulations on your purple. 
    If you trust your coach you must trust their judgment on your ability. 

I thought the same, I was a one stripe blue when I got my purple! Maybe we’re almost ready,maybe the new belt is the impetus we needed to make us ready?

there will no doubt be some blues thinking their better than you and they’ll show you and there will be blues thankful you made it to make them feel better about their rolls with you. 
    Remember as much as jiu jitsu claims to destroy egos, people are people and some of those people train jitsu and some of those people are dicks. 
    Trust yourself, keep rolling, keep learning and don’t let doubt make you fall.