Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Would you Pay $1000 to play a burst?

What's Hot

Comments

• AlexCAlexC Frets: 2396
    merlin said:
    No-one has yet mentioned in this thread that "Pint Glass with Complimentary Drink" refers to a US pint which is 16oz as opposed to a proper UK pint which is 20oz. I'm guessing that the glass itself is a souvenir. 
    So is the glass half full or half empty?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8831
    AlexC said:
    merlin said:
    No-one has yet mentioned in this thread that "Pint Glass with Complimentary Drink" refers to a US pint which is 16oz as opposed to a proper UK pint which is 20oz. I'm guessing that the glass itself is a souvenir. 
    So is the glass half full or half empty?
    As a borderline alcoholic, it's pretty much panic stations either way.
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • impmann said:
    I’ve spent more on stimulants over a weekend in Brighton/London/Tokyo countless times with less to show.. 
    Really?

Like I said fools and money...
    Typically positive and classy contribution @impmann thanks for chiming in :+1:  
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3308
    tFB Trader
    I’d love to spend some time with some real Korina, and hope to see if Joe B will let me have a gander next round :-)
    It's bloody limba, korina is a gibson trademark name they made up, it's thought they didn't want people to either know it was from Africa or it was cheap wood or both

Another name for it is Afara

I have 2 all white body blanks that I'm saving for something nice plus alot of 2 pc body blanks, it had been over here years before i got it, i love the stuff personally 
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12703
    impmann said:
    I’ve spent more on stimulants over a weekend in Brighton/London/Tokyo countless times with less to show.. 
    Really?

My pleasure.

You line em up, I’ll knock em in. ;-)
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • impmann said:
    impmann said:
    Really?

My pleasure.

That’s exactly what we did with the stimulants- shame you were tucked up in bed 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • impmann said:
    impmann said:
    Really?

My pleasure.

That’s exactly what we did with the stimulants- shame you were tucked up in bed 
    I won't ask where you were getting things knocked into...
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 5432
    Sheesh, don't let @ttony and @bridgehouse see this, or the fees for the jams are going to go through the roof ...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Snags said:
    Sheesh, don't let @ttony and @bridgehouse see this, or the fees for the jams are going to go through the roof ...
    Is that to cover the stimulants or the filling of male cavities?
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • horsehorse Frets: 1593
    I'd never pay a grand to play any guitar. I mean, you can buy yourself a used r8 for about that these days can't you?
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23533
    I’d love to spend some time with some real Korina, and hope to see if Joe B will let me have a gander next round :-)
    It's bloody limba, korina is a gibson trademark name they made up, it's thought they didn't want people to either know it was from Africa or it was cheap wood or both

I have 2 all white body blanks that I'm saving for something nice plus alot of 2 pc body blanks, it had been over here years before i got it, i love the stuff personally 

Cheap or not - and I guess it isn't any more - it's fantastic looking (I daren't say sounding...) stuff.  I've got a PRS McCarty Korina with a 1-piece body and to my eyes it's prettier than any maple top.

Korina seems to be like mahogany, though - a generic term which covers more than one type of timber.  The wood in cheaper korina guitars, like Reverends or the old PRS SE One, looks nothing like my McCarty or a Flying V.  The grain's completely different.

Sorry, off topic....

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
    edited November 2018
    You could buy a nice plectrum for £999 and you get to keep it forever!
    If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10383
    Freebird said:
    You could buy a nice plectrum for £999 and you get to keep it forever!
    Until it disappears into wherever they go and you never see it again. 
  • Got to play a fmous guitarist's  61 SG today, for free.
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    Snags said:
    Is that to cover the stimulants or the filling of male cavities?
    It’s purely to cover “expenses”
  • DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3308
    tFB Trader
    Philly_Q said:

Cheap or not - and I guess it isn't any more - it's fantastic looking (I daren't say sounding...) stuff.  I've got a PRS McCarty Korina with a 1-piece body and to my eyes it's prettier than any maple top.

Korina seems to be like mahogany, though - a generic term which covers more than one type of timber.  The wood in cheaper korina guitars, like Reverends or the old PRS SE One, looks nothing like my McCarty or a Flying V.  The grain's completely different.

Sorry, off topic....

No limba is just one tree black and white come from it and yes it's very mahogany like but can vary in weight and looks quite alot, I've had black limba that weighs a ton and featherweight white limba, it sometimes gets some nice orange streaks too

It's fairly cheap compared to south american mahogany 
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    I’d rather just buy a guitar for a grand.
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14670
    tFB Trader
    Garthy said:
    No - I've played maybe 1/2 doz original models over the years, maybe a touch more - 

But I can see why some would want to pay for the experience - I'd pay to drive a certain car round Silverstone, so why not take on the LP experience, but I'd pass on this option 
    The car vs guitar is apples vs oranges though. Even if you don't crash the car it needs fuel, tyres, brakes and servicing. A guitar may need periodic repairs at most.

But then you have to look at the level of investment on the LP alone, let alone the whole project

Then the cost of insurance on such a guitar on its own, let alone the whole project, along  with alarm maintenance etc that an insurance company will require on such an investment

So the cost of electricity to run such a project will be small in comparison to above

Now add rent/rates etc

Not a cheap project to run, maintain regarding daily cost, plus the huge capital required in the first place
  • blueskunkblueskunk Frets: 2911
    I’d pay someone to nick it for a grand :-/
  • Garthy said:
    No - I've played maybe 1/2 doz original models over the years, maybe a touch more - 

But I can see why some would want to pay for the experience - I'd pay to drive a certain car round Silverstone, so why not take on the LP experience, but I'd pass on this option 
    The car vs guitar is apples vs oranges though. Even if you don't crash the car it needs fuel, tyres, brakes and servicing. A guitar may need periodic repairs at most.

But then you have to look at the level of investment on the LP alone, let alone the whole project

Then the cost of insurance on such a guitar on its own, let alone the whole project, along  with alarm maintenance etc that an insurance company will require on such an investment

So the cost of electricity to run such a project will be small in comparison to above

Now add rent/rates etc

Not a cheap project to run, maintain regarding daily cost, plus the huge capital required in the first place
    I wonder if the collection came first and then the setting up of the museum or whether the museum was the plan form the start. either way it's a big investment.