does the high e look too close to the edge of neck

What's Hot

Comments

• Not tracking yet but she sent a photo of postage receipt so it looks like it should be ok.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TUESDAY  UPDATE - no guitar yet and no working tracking number. Did speak to the sellers local parcel force depot and its on their system for delivery but they assume guitar is still sitting at the post office. They said it could have missed the last collection on Thursday and with bank holiday no collection until today - (anyone know whether its possible to retrieve a parcel from a post office once its been deposited there as if it could it could be a great scam ie you have a valid tracking number and proof of sending the parcel - yet in reality the parcel has not been sent out - who knows) 

• RichardjRichardj Frets: 1538
    Keep calm, it's a logical delay. Give a couple more days.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    I'm pretty sure once it is handed over to the post office it would highly illegal to hand it to anyone other than a person at the address it's getting sent to.

It's been a bank holiday, it slows everything down, often by more than one day, which I always find confusing.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16296
    underdog said:
    I'm pretty sure once it is handed over to the post office it would highly illegal to hand it to anyone other than a person at the address it's getting sent to.

It's been a bank holiday, it slows everything down, often by more than one day, which I always find confusing.
    Amazon were sending out stuff yesterday, arrived today. Royal Mail I think. I hadn't expected anything to happen on my orders I placed on Sunday until today.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • Has it arrived yet buddy?
  • hi good news - guitar has arrived safely and in one piece.  played terribly out of the case - action was over 3 mm at both E strings. Strings were also dirty so took those off and put a new set on (kept the same gauge 9's as i heard that with a floating trem its a bugger to change gauge as it cocks up spring tension - found a couple of youtube clips as i had no idea how to go about changing the strings)

I gave it a good clean - very pleased that there were no marks on it whatsoever

all the tools were correct and present including tags which confirmed correct serial numbers etc.

lowered the action to around 1.7 mm on low E and around 1.4 on top E (could go slightly lower but dont like any buzz on a guitar).

It now plays very nice indeed - sounds fantastic - especially love the neck pick up and was surprised to find a decent quack strat sound using position 2 on the pickup selector. the top E string is slightly closer to edge than bottom E but not enough to cause the string to slip so dont  think i will need to get that rectified. The frets are very nice (edges have clearly had a lot of care applied to them)

haven't mucked around with truss rod yet - i like them straight with hardly no relief and this is at around 0.010 mm so very straight

overall incredibly impressed with the guitar - and very happy with the price i paid. 
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    edited April 2014
    So you suspicious little bugger it was all legit. Glad it worked out mate, had a feeling it would. 3mm action, yeah I'd gave to take that up at least another mm, hate low actions.
  • martmart Frets: 5205
    Did it have a piece of paper in the case with the word "bananas" on it? If not, can you be sure it was the same guitar? ;)
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2359
    glad it worked out :)

^ :))
    See, sometimes everything is just fine.  Congrats on the new Ibby, now thrash it!
    Oh, pics are obligatory.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72382
    All's well that ends well!

You were still right to be suspicious though - too many dodgy things about it and too many of the typical 'stories'… even if in this case they might actually heave been true!

I felt a bit the same with the PRS Hollowbody I just bought - I didn't breathe easily until the guitar arrived safely, but as with yours the seller was honest so it turned out nice again [© G. Formby].

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ICBM said:
    All's well that ends well!

You were still right to be suspicious though - too many dodgy things about it and too many of the typical 'stories'… even if in this case they might actually heave been true!

I felt a bit the same with the PRS Hollowbody I just bought - I didn't breathe easily until the guitar arrived safely, but as with yours the seller was honest so it turned out nice again [© G. Formby].

I'm with ICBM on this one. It looked well dodgy with all the classic scam lines coming into play but it paid off in the end so enjoy your new purchase buddy! 
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24807
    When's the wedding?
  • When's the wedding?

it was getting that way with the number of texts we exchanged - one quick question - does anyone know whether there are locking nuts on a jem70v, cant work out whether there are or not. the locking nuts should lock the trem in place i assume but i could lower height of action without any problems . there are smaller holes inside the larger bolt holes but they look round rather than allen key shapped and none of the allen keys that came with the guitar fit (either too small or too big)

edited April 2014
    There could be.  On one of mine you use a larger allen key at the top to adjust the height and a much smaller one inside the trem post to lock it down onto the body.  Which model trem does it have?  I'll check my Ibanez guide to double check this.  Did the Jem come with the Strap, tools, book etc?
  • When's the wedding?

it was getting that way with the number of texts we exchanged - one quick question - does anyone know whether there are locking nuts on a jem70v, cant work out whether there are or not. the locking nuts should lock the trem in place i assume but i could lower height of action without any problems . there are smaller holes inside the larger bolt holes but they look round rather than allen key shapped and none of the allen keys that came with the guitar fit (either too small or too big)
    ignore last post - found the screws now - 

• it came with everything - i did not realise the screws were so low in the post - found them using a small allen key.

all locked up and i have given it a whole lot of trem abuse (feel like an 18 year old again) and still in tune.

very happy indeed.

there have been some negative comments on the ibanez forums about some peple having problems with the action and that some necks needing a shim but i must have been lucky or the comments are out of proportion. nice low action and a very fast neck. it feels like a thin necked strat for some reason to me.
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    very happy indeed.

there have been some negative comments on the ibanez forums about some peple having problems with the action and that some necks needing a shim but i must have been lucky or the comments are out of proportion. nice low action and a very fast neck. it feels like a thin necked strat for some reason to me.

Sounds like you got a jem (ignore the pun).

I would imagine the people on the Ibanez forums want a miniscule action, and don't want to adapt their playing, or can't set-up a guitar properly. I've not heard of Ibby's needing neck shims, maybe the odd one, but not loads of them.....

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21)