Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Budget Brands Played in Bands

What's Hot

Comments

• LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2244
    Read an interview with Matt Heafy from Trivium a while ago about his signature Epiphone.. 

Something along the lines of Gibson CS quality but within a budget that fans can afford. So he went to Epiphone and said make the best possible guitar that will sell at X budget. Another criteria was something along the lines that if he damages/looses guitar on tour he can just walk into a music shop and buy his signature guitar which is like for like to what he is playing. It's apparently a pretty good guitar.. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11319
    HAL9000 said:

Sure I've seen John Mayall with a Squier Strat at some point.
    Given Mayall's habit of sawing off the "excess" bits of guitar bodies I'm sure he wouldn't do that to a full-fat Fender these daysw.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • proggyproggy Frets: 5835
    I remember seeing the Duran Duran  the telly back in the 80s quite often, and the bassist always had an Aria bass. Not sure how much they're worth but I've always thought of them as budget instruments.
  • dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    proggy said:
    I remember seeing the Duran Duran  the telly back in the 80s quite often, and the bassist always had an Aria bass. Not sure how much they're worth but I've always thought of them as budget instruments.
    As far as i remember, back then Aria were pretty top notch.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • dogload said:
    proggy said:
    As far as i remember, back then Aria were pretty top notch.
    Yeh, expensive basses then and John Taylor had top of the line. Aria SB1000, IIRC, the reissue is about £2k. The more expensive Arias were higher quality guitars then, their Les Paul style ones ( PE series?) used to be seen in lots of hands ( Huey Lewis and the News I seem to remember). 
    Gary Kemp of Spandau Ballet used a Westone Rainbow a bit ( most expensive guitar by a budget brand).
    Fender's Lead Series had a few notable users including Clapton and The Edge. Not a budget brand maybe but the most budget range Fender produced at the time ( 1979 to 1982 according to Wikipedia). 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • ColsCols Frets: 7041
    I’m pretty sure Noel Gallagher used an Epiphone Les Paul for all of Definitely Maybe.
  • The best Jack Pearson video is this one.

Jack Pearson on a Squier.

JD Simo on a Burst.

• Cols said:
    I’m pretty sure Noel Gallagher used an Epiphone Les Paul for all of Definitely Maybe.
    Don’t think that’s 100% true. He was certainly borrowing higher end stuff from Johnny Marr around that period. Slide Away was written during the recording sessions on a JM Les Paul. 
    How very rock and roll
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12384
    The only people who care are other players. I wish i could go back to the days of listening with my ears.
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14496
    Alan Murphy used Squier Stratocasters - albeit modified with noise-cancelling pickups for stage work.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • Jared James Nichols is an excellent Epiphone player too. 
  • Mark Bedford of Madness has been seen using a Squier Classic Vibe Jazz Bass. In fact, this is what persuaded me (as an occasional bass player) that I didn't need to get anything more expensive than that.
  • KKJaleKKJale Frets: 982
    Offhand, can't think of a Squier Strat being played in more elevated company than this... RIP George.

(Far as I know there was a huge social media hoo-hah after Chuck Prophet's Tele was stolen in SF, and he actually got it back.)

• JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6394
    mark123 said:
    midge ure uses a vintage(brand)lemon drop also i think the quireboys play vintage lemon drops and 335 alikes
    I saw Midge play the Vintage Lemon Drop through a Vox Valvetronix 40 for his whole set.
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • Mark1960Mark1960 Frets: 326
    Slightly off topic as it was a local band, but a couple of years ago, I was in a pub and heard a band with a really good guitarist, so I went over to get a closer look, and he had a squire Strat, a couple of digitec pedals, and a very old Peavy amp (Studio Pro I think). He sounded amazing!
  • Cols said:
    Don’t think that’s 100% true. He was certainly borrowing higher end stuff from Johnny Marr around that period. Slide Away was written during the recording sessions on a JM Les Paul. 
    There's definitely ( maybe?) a version of the story of the recording that says their Epiphones were horrible to record with and it's all on borrowed gear. However, they thought their Epi's  were cool and so appear in all the photos.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • Some good videos: ) and comments!

I suppose unsurprisingly Squier and Epiphones being pretty common. Vintage getting a bit of a showing but not many other brands.
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16113
    Yeah.......and Willie Nelson uses a beat up old nylon string with holes in it !
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mark123 said:
    midge ure uses a vintage(brand)lemon drop also i think the quireboys play vintage lemon drops and 335 alikes
    I hope that wasn't reason why his sound was so god damn awful at a gig he did in Bath earlier this year. Probably the worse guitar tone I've ever heard from a professional guitarist :(
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/