Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Budget Brands Played in Bands

What's Hot

Comments

• thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    Joe Bonamassa plays East Coast Strat and Firebird clones.

50 quid a pop at Andertons.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_Q said:
    TTBZ said:
    Simon_M said:
    TTBZ said:
    Lee Malia from BMTH do use theirs on stage.
    Saw Horizon on Sunday night in Glasgow and he played an Epi LP through the whole gig.
    Yeah saw them last night and he was using his Epiphones the whole time apart from one song on a Charvel I think. I don't think his rack even has any other guitars in it! His signature Epiphones are bloody lovely!
    I think that "1970s Ibanez" styling, with all the fancy inlays, actually helps to disguise the Epiphone headstock shape.
    And the fact that they seem to have been carved from my Nan's sideboard! ;-)
    I actually quite like them & suspect that his habit of putting a P90 in the neck will make them quite versatile .
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2911
    Philly_Q said:
    TTBZ said:
    Simon_M said:
    TTBZ said:
    Lee Malia from BMTH do use theirs on stage.
    Saw Horizon on Sunday night in Glasgow and he played an Epi LP through the whole gig.
    Yeah saw them last night and he was using his Epiphones the whole time apart from one song on a Charvel I think. I don't think his rack even has any other guitars in it! His signature Epiphones are bloody lovely!
    I think that "1970s Ibanez" styling, with all the fancy inlays, actually helps to disguise the Epiphone headstock shape.
    Yeah, I like Epiphone Customs for the same reason, the binding and inlay seems to make the headstock shape look less offensive to me for some reason.
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31663
    Jota said:
    He probably only does it to push some sales but Bonamassa played his Firebird I signature often on one of his tours:

These sound awesome, with a great pickup and decent electrics, but I sold mine because it still didn't feel or play like a good quality guitar. 
    They have a dual action truss rod, but I just couldn't get the neck to stabilise on mine - with 009s on it the rod was slack and it moved around every couple of days.

If Joe's tech sets it up and hands it to him for one song per show it would doubtless be fine, but slinging it around in a boiling pub for three hours? Not a chance. 
  • JotaJota Frets: 465
    p90fool said:
    Jota said:
    He probably only does it to push some sales but Bonamassa played his Firebird I signature often on one of his tours:

These sound awesome, with a great pickup and decent electrics, but I sold mine because it still didn't feel or play like a good quality guitar. 
    They have a dual action truss rod, but I just couldn't get the neck to stabilise on mine - with 009s on it the rod was slack and it moved around every couple of days.

If Joe's tech sets it up and hands it to him for one song per show it would doubtless be fine, but slinging it around in a boiling pub for three hours? Not a chance. 
    I have one too. Not the most tuning stable guitar but it's just a joy to play... when you get it in tune.
    I may change the bridge and nut some day and pay for a pro setup to see how it works.
    And yes, Joe was playing it for one song only.
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7079
    tFB Trader
    Mrs R was watching Strictly ITT last night and I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw this:

Mrs R was watching Strictly ITT last night and I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw this:

Saw what?

Isn't that a Fender?
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31663
    Looks like a Jedson or something.
  • axisus said:
    Awesome blues player Jared Nichols is always using his one pickup Epiphone. Sounds amazing
    Yep, saw him playing it in the summer with LAguns - it sounded superb!
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72644

I've said this many times before, but if you strip those down, treat them like a kit and put them back together fixing all the original assembly flaws as you go along, they're perfectly good guitars. It looks like the pickup has been changed in that one too, so there's no reason it won't sound good.

I've rebuilt quite a few of them and always got good money for the results.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

ICBM said:

I've said this many times before, but if you strip those down, treat them like a kit and put them back together fixing all the original assembly flaws as you go along, they're perfectly good guitars. It looks like the pickup has been changed in that one too, so there's no reason it won't sound good.

I've rebuilt quite a few of them and always got good money for the results.
    What guitar is it?

I can't make out the logo from the screenshot.
  • It’s got the characteristic “bar” string retainer found on guitars of that ilk. Is there a difference in quality between Jedson, Zenta etc and the crappy Kays and Satellites of my teenage years?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72644
    edited December 2018
    thegummy said:

I can't make out the logo from the screenshot.
    From this, it looks like it may be a Dana - although with the logo plate missing.

https://reverb.com/item/14175852-teisco-dana-jedson-tele-style-1960-s-cream

In which case the pickup may also be original.

It’s got the characteristic “bar” string retainer found on guitars of that ilk. Is there a difference in quality between Jedson, Zenta etc and the crappy Kays and Satellites of my teenage years?
    No, they're all the same thing apart from the logo really. All made by Tiesco.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

ICBM said:
    It’s got the characteristic “bar” string retainer found on guitars of that ilk. Is there a difference in quality between Jedson, Zenta etc and the crappy Kays and Satellites of my teenage years?
    No, they're all the same thing apart from the logo really. All made by Tiesco.

7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • rossirossi Frets: 1707
    edited December 2018
    Freebird said:
    There are Squier guitars, and then there are Japanese Squiers from the 80's.
    Really, are they that different?
    Not really .I have owned both the cheapest Squier and a JV and really its a matter of set up .The JV ;s a nice  guitar as a player but so is an affinity  and  especially a SE after a good fret job and maybe a pickup swap along with pots though once you dial in those ceramics they are good .In other words the usual  .You put in the time and money the maker didnt and turn it into a good guitar .My favorite Strat I have owned is an SE body ,Joe Trohmann Tele neck-12 inch radiaus 22 fret  and Maida Vale pickups (A3,4 2 ).It suits me and until Fender make one like it its just not worth buying a Fender .

• rossirossi Frets: 1707
    Paul Draper posted a picture of recording from a Blackstar Fly 3 during the recording of his recent (really good) solo album.  Don't get any cheaper than that.
    The Fly is decent amp for those Blackstar sounds .I always surprised how good it sounds on overdrive at low volume  .No good for jazz though .
  • artiebearartiebear Frets: 810
    edited December 2018
    not exactly budget but akin to the comments re the Duran Duran Aria bass moments , but John Clark who has been Cliff Richard's main guitar player forever ( and before you take the piss ) was previously working with with Bill Bruford, and is a ridiculously great player, played an Aria Espirite ( same guitar as the aforementioned Alajn Murphy used with Go West ) while leaving a beautiful LP on the stand as his second guitar. It's about the player not the guitar ( but we all no that...don't we ???) oh and the other secret only known to us who were working in the 70's / 80's ...Non American guitars were not budget, they were somewhat better than the stuff from over the pond we could get our hands on :)

• dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    Oh, how did I forget these?!

And Dave Brock played a Westone Paduak for years after wards, and these were 99 quid guitars when they came out. 
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12678
    rossi said:
    .No good for jazz though .
    And there was much rejoicing...
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11880
    rossi said:
    Paul Draper posted a picture of recording from a Blackstar Fly 3 during the recording of his recent (really good) solo album.  Don't get any cheaper than that.
    The Fly is decent amp for those Blackstar sounds .I always surprised how good it sounds on overdrive at low volume  .No good for jazz though .
    So it's fine for music? ;) haha, joking, sorry.

As well as the Fly 3, I honestly think the little ID:Core 10 and 20 amps (the 40 is nudging "just buy a Kat 50" money) are a good little praccy option and can be used to record from as well, so a superb little starter amp for £100.
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom