Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Not great guitarists who are nevertheless perfect for the band they're in

What's Hot

Comments

• William Reid
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • the correct answer is Noel Gallagher 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • teradaterada Frets: 5114
    Me. My band play mostly 3 chord nonsense progressions. A match made in heaven  :)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Paul Buchanan from The Blue Nile
  • Dave Evans
  • mikem8634 said:
    It's a difficult one. It depends what you mean by great. If we are talking technical ability with someone like Guthrie Govan representing the pinnacle, then guitarists like Reg and Dave from The Chameleons would be, by comparison, not great. I, however consider them to be both perfect for their band and utterly great.
    100% with you on that. Two of my favourite guitarists.

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Kilgore said:
    Joey Santiago
    Definitely a great shout, made some genius noises
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Gavin Rosdale

Objectively sounds like he's just holding a chord then falling down the stairs, but somehow awesome for the music. 
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72792
    Peter Buck in REM.

The Edge doesn’t count because he *is* a great guitarist.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 12reaction image Wisdom
  • AlexOAlexO Frets: 1102
    Came to put Noel G but was already beaten to it. Let's throw Bonehead into the mix then. 
    The only man to never play anything other than a bare chord and play stadiums.

Who said you need to have flashy solos and glossy hair ey...
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9779
    ICBM said:

The Edge doesn’t count because he *is* a great guitarist.
    Indeed. He has come up with a load of instantly recognisable intros. You only need to hear the first few bars (or in some instances the first few notes) to recognise...

Where The Streets Have No Name
    Vertigo 
    Pride
    Zoo Station
    Beautiful Day
    One
    I Still haven’t Found What I’m Looking For

...and plenty more.

To come up with something original and recognisable isn’t easy. To do it several times certainly isn’t easy.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10359
    edited November 2018
    Philly_Q said:
    And not being pedantic about the thread... Kim Thayil.
    Absolutely. I don’t care for a lot of his lead work at all but it largely works.

Johnny Marr is a very good guitarist IMO. Guthrie Govan is a genius. 
  • TJT1979TJT1979 Frets: 188
    Disagree with Joey Santiago. I think he is a great, innovative guitarist. Just not traditional. Agree that he's perfect for the band, though.
  • George Harrison 
  • I pretty much disagree with the whole concept of this thread and a good number of the players listed. Fine if you place technical ability above all else.

i would far prefer to listen to most of the so called adequate for their band players 

like Gilmour, Keef, Alomar etc than a night of Guthrie. Who is only really liked by guitarist. I am bored by the third track, once you get past the oh he can do xxx for all his chops he is boring as **** to listen too. 

But each to to their own 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 12reaction image Wisdom
  • I pretty much disagree with the whole concept of this thread and a good number of the players listed. Fine if you place technical ability above all else.

i would far prefer to listen to most of the so called adequate for their band players 

like Gilmour, Keef, Alomar etc than a night of Guthrie. Who is only really liked by guitarist. I am bored by the third track, once you get past the oh he can do xxx for all his chops he is boring as **** to listen too. 

But each to to their own 
    Wis’d.

All my favourite guitarists ‘serve the song’ - the other sort (which Frank Zappa refered to as ‘Stunt Guitarists’) - don’t interest me at all.

Mike Campbell is a master of ‘playing the song’. He always adds something memorable but without ever hogging the limelight. 
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31755
    Some of you people have a very cheeky idea about who isn't "great".

I'd love to hear some of you attempt a perfect Wilko Johnson or Keith Richards impression, you might actually find some of the shreddy stuff surprisingly easy in comparison. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • p90fool said:
    Some of you people have a very cheeky idea about who isn't "great".

I'd love to hear some of you attempt a perfect Wilko Johnson or Keith Richards impression, you might actually find some of the shreddy stuff surprisingly easy in comparison. 
    Wilko sounds easy - until you try and get it spot on. It's impossible to get the muting and percussive attack right with a pick for example.
  • carlos said:
    Sassafras said:
    John McGeoch wasn't what I'd call a virtuoso but he was incredibly inventive and original so he fitted the Banshees perfectly.
    Same with Hugh Cornwell.
    The first I thought of. Also liked him in PIL
    And before those, in Magazine. Excellent playing to the song. 
    My old band used to do Shot By Both Sides - the first few bars of the solo in the middle are not easy! I reckon I played it 50 or 60 times on stage and never got it quite right. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2418
    Any member of the FB who play in a band....?