Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Not great guitarists who are nevertheless perfect for the band they're in

What's Hot

Comments

• Stephen Carpenter in Deftones 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • proggyproggy Frets: 5835
    Sassafras said:
    For all those who don't rate Wilko Johnson, try playing a 2 hour set in his style. I reckon you'd be exhausted by the 3rd song.
    We used to play Roxette and I found the relentless driving rhythm very demanding.

That makes him an energetic guitarist, not necessarily a great one.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • AlexCAlexC Frets: 2396
    I wonder if there’s a Literary Foum where people discuss how Shakespeare was a hack, Dickens didn’t have a command of the English language, Virginia Wolf is just like every other writer and Homer wasn’t a good story teller?
    James Herbert is better than all of them. Because I liked his books when I was thirteen.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5849
    AlexC said:
    I wonder if there’s a Literary Foum where...........
    Yup. 
  • AlexC said:
    I wonder if there’s a Literary Foum where people discuss how Shakespeare was a hack, Dickens didn’t have a command of the English language, Virginia Wolf is just like every other writer and Homer wasn’t a good story teller?
    James Herbert is better than all of them. Because I liked his books when I was thirteen.
    Probably.

Just listening to The Slits in the car. Viv Albertine was not a technical player by any stretch of the imagination but perfect for that band. If she'd left and auditioned for a wedding band would she have got the gig? No, but she wouldn't have wanted to either. 

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14646
    Cosey Fanni Tutti
    Captain Sensible
    Peter Shelley
    Tim Smith (Cardiacs)
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mikem8634mikem8634 Frets: 382
    edited November 2018
    In terms of not particularly proficient guitarists but are actually great* guitarists, I'd have to say-

Peter Buck. I've heard a lot of people say, "even *I* could play that!" to which I respond, "yeah, but you didn't."

Reg Smithies and Dave Fielding from The Chameleons. Invented a completely new version of guitar interplay which hasn't been bettered since.

John McGeough. You try writing Spellbound. Genius.

Robin Guthrie. Very few guitarists invent entire genres. I can't think of anyone who has made the guitar sound more beautiful.

*To me, a great guitarist (or musician) is someone who knows that the song is king. They'll play exactly what's needed in the context of the piece of music and nothing more.
    Bingo! Lilting angry delicate driving haunting epic
  • I was going to say Greg Ginn...…… but no he's f@$%in great
  • Brian Setzer
    2reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5849
    Brian Setzer
    Surely he belongs in the opposite thread. I see him as a very talented musician who often (but not always) fails to set my heart alight 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • dazzajl said:
    Brian Setzer
    Surely he belongs in the opposite thread. I see him as a very talented musician who often (but not always) fails to set my heart alight 
    It's a very high bar that says Brian Setzer isn't a great guitarist, I suspect he could play pretty much anything you could throw at him. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • Setzer is an amazing guitar player, no question.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • Yes, very surprised to see Setzer in the list!
    And Wilko
    And Rick Parfitt (who was a much better player than most people give him credit for, just because he was known mainly for dumdy dumdy rhythm parts [which he was also bloody good at of course])

I mostly clicked the thread to say "me", but it seems to have been done already :)
  • proggyproggy Frets: 5835
    Setzer is an amazing guitar player, no question.

This^
  • AlvinAlvin Frets: 416
    Brian Setzer
       Well in that case how about John McEnroe from the John McEnroe band (also played a bit of tennis)  because  "you cannot be serious " .

• abw1989abw1989 Frets: 643
    I'm surprised Billie Joe Armstrong hasn't appeared on here yet. Green Day have made a fortune off power chords and octaves!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    abw1989 said:
    I'm surprised Billie Joe Armstrong hasn't appeared on here yet. Green Day have made a fortune off power chords and octaves!
    Yep. This. And whilst we are at it, Brian Molko
  • AlexOAlexO Frets: 1105
    Jamie Cook from Arctic Monkeys 

I've heard quite  a few videos of him hitting the wrong notes, someones made a comp of them lol.

Happens to all of us TBF.

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Mark1960Mark1960 Frets: 326
    Carl Perkins bass player (his son)
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10900
    tFB Trader
    I'll add my own personal guitar hero: Mick Green to the list ... he was the man that inspired Wilko after all. I remember seeing the Pirates at the Half Moon in Putney not long before Mick became ill and eventually passed away ... his playing was absolutely perfect for the stripped down, dirty R&B set ... 
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message