Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Not great guitarists who are nevertheless perfect for the band they're in

What's Hot

Comments

• Seconded. Only saw Mick once but he was excellent. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • drwiddlydrwiddly Frets: 918
    My old band supported The Pirates at one gig in 1977 when they were touring the Skull Wars album. They were a lovely bunch of guys and Mick Green's guitar playing was pure class.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Dave Navarro 
  • AlexOAlexO Frets: 1105
    I've just seen that someones thrown Brian Setzer to the list. I'm going to give the OG Poster the benefit of the doubt and presume that they meant to add him to this thread instead .....http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/144829/guitarists-you-like-in-bands-that-you-dont#latest

Which would still be strange as the Stray Cats are great...

• PerdixPerdix Frets: 136
    French and Ojeda Twisted Sister, not great but do a job.
  • Seconded. Only saw Mick once but he was excellent. 
    Thirded - great player. 
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9782
    Marc Bolan.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • DeeTeeDeeTee Frets: 764
    abw1989 said:
    I'm surprised Billie Joe Armstrong hasn't appeared on here yet. Green Day have made a fortune off power chords and octaves!
    Yep. This. And whilst we are at it, Brian Molko
    God yes! Molko is the perfect answer to this thread. Really simplistic stuff that's just *right*.

As for the comments about quality etc, I just took this thread to mean "not technical but good for the band," hence the Cobain reference. A lot of other professional guitarists are "better" technically, but I would struggle to hum their guitar line. I'm only ever interested in musicians that serve the song. Good example - Billy Duffy. The guy is so restrained on a lot of Cult stuff. Not a note wasted.
  • Chris Stein and Frank Infante.  Neither's exactly a technical wizard, but they were masters of playing parts which complimented each other, and sat within the song instead of stomping all over it.
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 12169
    abw1989 said:
    I'm surprised Billie Joe Armstrong hasn't appeared on here yet. Green Day have made a fortune off power chords and octaves!
    Great, under-rated band Placebo.

But... if he can get those kind of results with that kind of simple playing isn't that in itself... great?
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    abw1989 said:

But... if he can get those kind of results with that kind of simple playing isn't that in itself... great?
    Molko is the guitar in Placebo. But his genius is his writing, his performance, his vocals and his simple but effective guitar. He isn’t a guitarist, or a great guitarist - he’s an exceptional all rounder
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5198
    Brian Setzer
    My first 7” single was ‘Rock this Town’ by the Stray Cats’ I love his playing  :)
  • EggmanEggman Frets: 43
    Stuckfast said:
    Oooh, good shout.

I'd probably add Mick Ronson and Ron Asheton too.
    I agree about Mick Ronson. Although, I would argue that he was actually very musically talented. With Bowie he did all the instrumental arrangements. He was originally leader of The Rats, which became the spiders from mars.
    tone1 said:
    Libertines- Pete Doherty 
    This is who I thought of too!
  • Cant believe Dave Gilmour and George Harrison are in this list, is it because they can't shred ?  Yeah CN and Here comes the sun are really shite records :)
    “Ken sent me.”
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 12169
    abw1989 said:

Molko is the guitar in Placebo. But his genius is his writing, his performance, his vocals and his simple but effective guitar. He isn’t a guitarist, or a great guitarist - he’s an exceptional all rounder
    Ahh, fair point, and very eloquent.

Must put some Placebo on...
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23395
    abw1989 said:

Doesn't Stefan Olsdal also play a lot of guitar on the records?

Which doesn't take away from the point at all, very good band.  I should listen to them more.
  • hobbiohobbio Frets: 3440
    I'd say Page Hamilton isn't a technically great guitarist (yes, yes, I know about his education etc) but his riffage with Helmet is up there with the best.

electric proddy probe machine

My trading feedback thread

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23395
    hobbio said:
    I'd say Page Hamilton isn't a technically great guitarist (yes, yes, I know about his education etc) but his riffage with Helmet is up there with the best.
    I was thinking about him earlier, in relation to this thread.  To me he seems pretty great, but he certainly doesn't go in for displays of virtuosity and he certainly does what's right for the band.

Another would be Tim Sult.  He always seems to be the quiet man in Clutch, a bit overshadowed by the rhythm section and Neil Fallon's vocals and lyrics.  But I can't imagine anyone doing a better job in that band.
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    Philly_Q said:
    abw1989 said:

Doesn't Stefan Olsdal also play a lot of guitar on the records?

Which doesn't take away from the point at all, very good band.  I should listen to them more.
    Yeah, I believe he does. They are very different live I must admit - but just as epic and as well polished - but they do have (or used to have) a much more back to basics sound...
  • The chaps from Half Man Half Biscuit