Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

The forum, its present and its future

What's Hot

Comments

• Personally I don't care about frets, lols, wows, wisdoms, and facepalms. Never did. Musicradar never had them, the CM/FM Intermusic forums never had them, the other forums I frequent don't have them. I think they're a bit of a shitty social media inspired thing that just dilutes the discussion and are weaponised to bully and intimidate people into silence.

Bye!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33848
    In FB 2.0 I'd like to see just a single thumbs up/like type icon that is public, or remove them altogether.

Lee, would it be possible a member can hide frets from view globally, so they still accrue for those that value them, but others can just ignore them entirely?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonic said:

Lee, would it be possible a member can hide frets from view globally, so they still accrue for those that value them, but others can just ignore them entirely?
    That completely misses the point. They're an indication to other people as to the frequency/quality/popularity of a member's interactions on here. To hide them is to totally negate any value that they have.

If people don't care about them, they can just ignore them. Simples.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • mgawmgaw Frets: 5297
    /\ I certainly look at the fret count etc when evaluating a purchase or indeed a sale, its handy to identify a member who actually uses the FB rather than just shopping here
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33848
    edited February 2019
    octatonic said:

That completely misses the point. They're an indication to other people as to the frequency/quality/popularity of a member's interactions on here. To hide them is to totally negate any value that they have.

If people don't care about them, they can just ignore them. Simples.
    Yes, I know this and I don’t agree I’ve missed the point of frets.
    My point is that if people are triggered by people ironically lolling them they could hide the frets component of the forum, much in the same way we give people a way to hide BCD, politics etc.

• It's like Frankenstein. He didn't want to create a forlorn lovesick monster that killed people. He wanted to create life. Alas, the "KREATORRRR" doesn't always get what he wants.

Bye!

• digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26787
    edited February 2019
    It's like Frankenstein. He didn't want to create a forlorn lovesick monster that killed people. He wanted to create life. Alas, the "KREATORRRR" doesn't always get what he wants.
    He didn't get to have a second go, though - trying to correct the mistakes in his first attempt killed him.

Actually, that's very near the truth...
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • It's like Frankenstein. He didn't want to create a forlorn lovesick monster that killed people. He wanted to create life. Alas, the "KREATORRRR" doesn't always get what he wants.
    He didn't get to have a second go, though - trying to correct the mistakes in his first attempt killed him.

Actually, that's very near the truth...
    Look, all I know is De Niro wasnae too bad, but ultimately the straight to TV Frankenstein in the 90's scared the shit out of me more than De Niro ever could. Even if he was drunkenly leering over me breathing his haddocky breath into my mouth whilst whinging about Trump.

Bye!

• The admin team unveiling the new Forum...”It's alive...it's alive...”

https://youtu.be/QuoKNZjr8_U

• BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    The admin team unveiling the new Forum...”It's alive...it's alive...”

https://youtu.be/QuoKNZjr8_U
    I’m gonna need more foundation. And more eyeshadow. And a shit load more velvet
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 5417
    The thing with LOL though is that it's multi-purpose. I only ever use it if I find something amusing and am confident the poster intended it to be so. It's affirming. That others use it as a Nelson* "HA-HA!" just shows them up as pricks.

*From The Simpsons, a popular animated entertainment m'lud.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonic said:

Thats easier to say if you have a 5 figure fret count.  Ive been here pretty much from day 1, and come here every day - several times per day.  I post as and when I have something relevant to say, not everything attracts a wow, wiz or lol so my overall count is moderate.  Im really not sure you can equate the fret count to the frequency of interaction or their commitment to this community.   Or I could just be hated :anguished: 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 5417
    @thumpingrug Nah, if you were hated you'd have picked up more ironic/troll frets. Frets + comment count is really the full picture, and even then is only indicative. 
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12422
    Snags said:
    The thing with LOL though is that it's multi-purpose. I only ever use it if I find something amusing and am confident the poster intended it to be so. It's affirming. That others use it as a Nelson* "HA-HA!" just shows them up as pricks.

*From The Simpsons, a popular animated entertainment m'lud.
    This is how I use them. I'm not fussed if they stay go or get reset though I don't rate anyone by their fret count. 
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11472
    octatonic said:

Thats easier to say if you have a 5 figure fret count.  Ive been here pretty much from day 1, and come here every day - several times per day.  I post as and when I have something relevant to say, not everything attracts a wow, wiz or lol so my overall count is moderate.  Im really not sure you can equate the fret count to the frequency of interaction or their commitment to this community.   Or I could just be hated :anguished: 
    No.  You've probably had the sense to stay out of the politics/Brexit stuff.
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    crunchman said:
    octatonic said:

Or you aren’t a regular poster in Friday Funnies
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11472
    crunchman said:
    octatonic said:

Or you don't post gratuitous pics of guitars you have bought for the wows.

6reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4327
    edited February 2019
    crunchman said:
    crunchman said:
    octatonic said:

Thats easier to say if you have a 5 figure fret count.  Ive been here pretty much from day 1, and come here every day - several times per day.  I post as and when I have something relevant to say, not everything attracts a wow, wiz or lol so my overall count is moderate.  Im really not sure you can equate the fret count to the frequency of interaction or their commitment to this community.   Or I could just be hated anguished 
    Or you don't post gratuitous pics of guitars you have bought for the wows.

I'm wowing that you didn't remove the sticker before taking the photo!

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• octatonic said:

Just post whatever is on your mind, and is relevant, and don't worry about frets or if people wow or wiz you.  That stuff is trivial. 
  • I don't give a moment's thought to the wow,  lol, or wiz. Astonishing how some people get so butt hurt by "lols". 

I quite like the fact the fret gives you some idea of a members' activity but for me it would be more relevant to have always visible measures of:

Discussions started  eg 105
    Comments posted eg 2546
    Wisdoms awarded. Eg 978

But my biggest gripe is the current oddly inconsistent behaviour when trying to post photos when via mobile.  Cheers

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom