Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Why do so few 'big name' bands/artists use PRS?

What's Hot

Comments

• Paul7926Paul7926 Frets: 227
    The last few posts so reminded me of this.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I’m looking forward to the next generations cool or not cool discussions.

Ibanez RGs are cool, Suhrs don’t have the same heritage and are too blingy
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28271
    I'm waiting for Daisyrock to be cool again. When that happens I'm sitting on a fortune!
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3655

Is it still cool to say that something is 'cool'?  I'm a bit out of touch.  I seem to remember that if something was cool enough then is became hot, but I could be a couple of generations out.

Anyway I think that all my guitars, including the PRS's, a totally hip - and my Dentist agrees with me.

• deano said:
    Yes but that isn't the ACTUAL reason is it? The ACTUAL reason is that they are expensive.

People don't like them because they are a sign of wealth. It isn't the guitars, it's the people who buy them you don't like.
    Is that true though? I'm astounded by what people will pay for Les Pauls, which often have quite unbelievable flaws that are just written off as "oh Gibson - you big silly"  =)

Maybe my experience is skewed because I have only experienced the lower end of the PRS catalogue, not the very expensive blingy stuff. But it seems to me that the prices generally are similar to Gibson and Fender, if you look at the USA built stuff.

In terms of cool - yeah, they don't have the history, except maybe the Santana thing. But whenever I've bought something on the basis of it being cool, I've never kept it. I think maybe people are mistaking cool for what they like. I think Strats are cool and whenever I see Ritchie Blackmore playing one in the old days, I really want one. But I find them a bit meh when I play them - plus single coils aren't my thing and I feel like there's no point in buying a humbucker one. Same with Les Pauls - when I see Jimmy Page or Slash ripping away, or when I see an awesome old one, I really want one - but I just don't get on with the design when I have it in my hands.

I dunno - I don't have a strong hatred for any guitar though. It seems weird that PRS engenders such strength of feeling. Maybe it is the dentist cliche. But as I say - I suspect the average spend on Gibson on this forum would be at least as much if not more than the average spend on PRS.

I think Fender Jaguars are ugly. But I don't hate them. If I was looking for a guitar and I tried one and I loved the feel I'd probably buy it.
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    Sporky said:
    Hattigol said:

All ignoring the actual reason, as set out over various pages in this thread which is that they look shit and are the antithesis of cool.
    So a bunch of middle aged internet argument pundits with an obsession for 50-year-old music are the official what's cool panel?

:s 
    Lol this has really become bizarre.

Can just imagine some sitting in slippers with their belly hanging over their cargo shorts arguing about what's cool.

It's an abstract concept but if there's anything universally accepted about "cool" it's that middle aged men (or anyone over 30 basically) have no idea about it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • thegummy said:

It's an abstract concept but if there's anything universally accepted about "cool" it's that middle aged men (or anyone over 30 basically) have no idea about it.
    ......Or more importantly, giving a toss about it.
    No Darling....I've had that ages.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    thegummy said:

Very good point!
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22881
    thegummy said:
    thegummy said:

Very good point!

A bunch of middle-aged men have spent nine pages of this thread getting our knickers in a twist about whether or not something is cool.  So apparently some of us give some kind of toss.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Philly_Q said:
    thegummy said:
    thegummy said:

Very good point!

A bunch of middle-aged men have spent nine pages of this thread getting our knickers in a twist about whether or not something is cool.  So apparently some of us give some kind of toss.

I give a toss about pondering why PRS are played by a lot fewer big name bands (or other quasi-philosophical questions relating to my interests). Not saying it bothers me or infiltrates my life but I enjoy reading others' suggestions, e.g. "they aren't cool" and enjoy taking a few minutes to respond to the argument.

But when actually buying a guitar I definitely don't give a toss about "cool" - it doesn't even come in to mind, only the function of the guitar and how the form appeals to my own taste.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11449
    Sporky said:
    Hattigol said:

All ignoring the actual reason, as set out over various pages in this thread which is that they look shit and are the antithesis of cool.
    So a bunch of middle aged internet argument pundits with an obsession for 50-year-old music are the official what's cool panel?

Remember the Top Gear cool wall.  Anything that one of the three of them owned was automatically uncool.

Maybe something similar should apply here. Although, given the kleptomania/GAS of the Fretboard members, we probably own just about every type of guitar ever made between us - so all guitars automatically become uncool.

Thread over!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    crunchman said:
    Sporky said:
    Hattigol said:

Remember the Top Gear cool wall.  Anything that one of the three of them owned was automatically uncool.

Maybe something similar should apply here. Although, given the kleptomania/GAS of the Fretboard members, we probably own just about every type of guitar ever made between us - so all guitars automatically become uncool.

Thread over!
    Are you trying to tell me that wearing a sports jacket and jeans is uncool!?!?!

P.S. Sorry for the denseness but what's the kleptomania reference?
  • thegummy said:
    Sporky said:
    Hattigol said:

Lol this has really become bizarre.

Can just imagine some sitting in slippers with their belly hanging over their cargo shorts arguing about what's cool.

Have you hacked my webcam?
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2898
    And just like that my GAS for a Tele has vanished :)

Though, as a bunch of internet guitar nerds we're probably not best qualified to judge what's cool.
  • This is extremely biased but as a result of the late 90s early 00s nu-metal thing I struggle to see them as anything other than a ‘metal’ guitar. I know that it’s a ridiculous way to view the brand, however, would I walk onstage with one -no, purely because of that ridiculous preconception (I’ve played a few and all have been exceptional). I can’t help but wonder if there’s a lot of people that feel the same way and know they are being ridiculous but just as when they (I) try to gel with a strat, simply can’t do it.
    I gigged a Jackson Soloist exclusively for some 18 years. Not once for metal. 90% was for Soul & Ska. Yes it did confuse a few people, but not me. It was simply the best guitar I could find. That's all I cared about.

I dont use it any more. Others, including a PRS, have replaced it now.
    I sometimes think, therefore I am intermittent
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11449
    TTBZ said:
    And just like that my GAS for a Tele has vanished :)

Though, as a bunch of internet guitar nerds we're probably not best qualified to judge what's cool.
    There are pictures of him with a Strat as well.  If anyone wants to cure Strat GAS then google them.  I don't really want to post a picture of him.
  • Rabs said:

If you find a good Gibson and or Fender you just don't need a PRS   

Maybe that's why people buy PRS ;)
    I sometimes think, therefore I am intermittent
    6reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28271
    Rabs said:

Dangit. We need WizLOLs! 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    Sporky said:
    Rabs said:

Dangit. We need WizLOLs! 
    Totally, that comment was gold
  • AlexCAlexC Frets: 2396
    It’s the music you make that’s cool, not the instrument you make it on. And the price of something is completely irrelevant... Some people have little logos on their Polo shirts, for example.  But in order to know how much that Polo Shirt cost then you have to know about and recognise the little logo. You have to ‘buy into’ that scene.
    Recorded music is invisible.
    An audience at a gig is all about the sound and the show. 
    The ‘exclusive geek club’ culture exists for all things but is - by and large - irrelevant.
    If I see someone with a PRS my interest is do I like the music they are making? I don’t make assumptions about their bank balance. They could’ve won it in a competition for all I know and care.
    And if you think that having a reliced Fender (for example) immediately makes you cool... well, er... if you’re playing Mustang Sally in a Wedding Band then probably not.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom