Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Why do so few 'big name' bands/artists use PRS?

What's Hot

Comments

• wellsyboy said:
    There are a lot of ignorant comments on here about dentists and furniture guitars blah blah blah - I have had loads of different guitars over the years including on old PRS Standard , 513 brazilian, swamp ash studio, hollowbody 2, a signature 408,

I'm sure they look wonderful in the waiting room
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CastroCastro Frets: 512
    I'm just not a fan of the aesthetics. I think many of them are really ugly and the headstock has always been a problem for me. 

The latest Mayer model may be a very fine instrument but it is just soooo wrong looks-wise. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2898
    They may well be amazing guitars but if you can’t get over the inlays, the headstock and the colour scheme you’re never going to own one. And the price tag of one for something that those people find very unappealing only adds to the division.   
    But surely that applies to every guitar, its not just PRS who should get special treatment. And it's not like you don't get ludicrously priced and ugly as sin Gibsons or Fenders either.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8189
    wellsyboy said:
    There are a lot of ignorant comments on here about dentists and furniture guitars blah blah blah - pisses me off every time - if someone works hard and wants to indulge themselves why not! The green monster is alive and well on fretboard. NO I am not a dentist but I don't see what that has to do with it. That said -  I have had loads of different guitars over the years Fenders, Gibsons, Tom Andersons, Collings and PRS's. The PRS's include an old PRS Standard (bought new in 1989/90) , a 513 brazilian, swamp ash studio, hollowbody 2, a signature 408. I never bonded with those PRS's and all of my guitars have been moved on to at some stage fund further purchases. The Collings have mostly endured - I have def bonded with them but I will move one or two of those eventually because I am getting to the point where I cannot justify keeping them as I am not playing as much these days and haven't gigged for several years now. The two PRS's I did bond with were a DGT which I still regret selling (couldn't get on with the control layout), and a 594 which I still have. I think these 2 are brilliant guitars especially the 594 - I LOVE the neck and the pickups are great - the control setup is more classic and so suits me well - I think it is a fantastic guitar and hope that it stays with me for a long time. Pojnt is - I like playing it. If I made it big and was a touring or session player I would use it. I think that a player either bonds with an instrument or doesn't. That goes for any instrument. Don't take this the wrong way but the big name bands and artists are in the minority when it comes to guitar players. How many guitar players are there in the world? and how many guitars? Also don't forget the guitar companies are all competing with one another and I don't see anything wrong with making beautiful instruments in order to sell guitars. The fact that they are superbly made and wonderfully playable should not come in for criticism and is obviously why the company is doing so well. FFS stop knocking PRS!!!!! They make great guitars and are innovative - the likes of Fender and Gibson IMHO are behind in that regard and to a point survive on their names. Rant over.
    What is it with PRS owners? Why do they take the bait every time and jump up and down with angst every time someone slags them off?

I have Gibsons, a Fender and a Gretsch. Seriously, say whatever you like about them. Anything. Then cast thine eye upon my field of fucks and see that not a solitary one will be given.

If you like them, great. If others don't, chill the hell out.
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 10reaction image Wisdom
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7771
    Hattigol said:
    wellsyboy said:
    There are a lot of ignorant comments on here about dentists and furniture guitars blah blah blah - pisses me off every time - if someone works hard and wants to indulge themselves why not! The green monster is alive and well on fretboard. NO I am not a dentist but I don't see what that has to do with it. That said -  I have had loads of different guitars over the years Fenders, Gibsons, Tom Andersons, Collings and PRS's. The PRS's include an old PRS Standard (bought new in 1989/90) , a 513 brazilian, swamp ash studio, hollowbody 2, a signature 408. I never bonded with those PRS's and all of my guitars have been moved on to at some stage fund further purchases. The Collings have mostly endured - I have def bonded with them but I will move one or two of those eventually because I am getting to the point where I cannot justify keeping them as I am not playing as much these days and haven't gigged for several years now. The two PRS's I did bond with were a DGT which I still regret selling (couldn't get on with the control layout), and a 594 which I still have. I think these 2 are brilliant guitars especially the 594 - I LOVE the neck and the pickups are great - the control setup is more classic and so suits me well - I think it is a fantastic guitar and hope that it stays with me for a long time. Pojnt is - I like playing it. If I made it big and was a touring or session player I would use it. I think that a player either bonds with an instrument or doesn't. That goes for any instrument. Don't take this the wrong way but the big name bands and artists are in the minority when it comes to guitar players. How many guitar players are there in the world? and how many guitars? Also don't forget the guitar companies are all competing with one another and I don't see anything wrong with making beautiful instruments in order to sell guitars. The fact that they are superbly made and wonderfully playable should not come in for criticism and is obviously why the company is doing so well. FFS stop knocking PRS!!!!! They make great guitars and are innovative - the likes of Fender and Gibson IMHO are behind in that regard and to a point survive on their names. Rant over.
    What is it with PRS owners? Why do they take the bait every time and jump up and down with angst every time someone slags them off?

I have Gibsons, a Fender and a Gretsch. Seriously, say whatever you like about them. Anything. Then cast thine eye upon my field of fucks and see that not a solitary one will be given.

Just because you asked, I looked at your guitars and Wellsyboy is way ahead in the brains department with his 594. Jazzmasters are a bit pointless, cherry Les Paul's are clownish and black must be the blandest colour for a hollowbody Gretsch. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    Hattigol said:
    wellsyboy said:

Just because you asked, I looked at your guitars and Wellsyboy is way ahead in the brains department with his 594. Jazzmasters are a bit pointless, cherry Les Paul's are clownish and black must be the blandest colour for a hollowbody Gretsch. 
    Ha ha! I am OUTRAGED. How dare you!

By the way, it's iced tea, not cherry sunburst. I wouldn't like to be one of your patients having root canal if that's what your eyesight is like....
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
    p.s. You forgot to diss the 345. It's green. Easy target surely.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22879
    edited January 2019
    Hattigol said:

Maybe because nobody ever actually slags off any other brand?

There are one or two people on here with a strange phobia of Telecasters, many more with a hatred of relics, but I've never heard anyone slag off Fender, or Gretsch, or Rickenbacker, or Gibson, as brands.

Yes, there's the universally-accepted received wisdom that Gibson quality control is rubbish, we all moan about the annual range changes, but even then nobody says all Gibsons are shit and uncool.  Nobody says only quantity surveyors play Gretsches.  Nobody says they'd be embarrassed to be seen in public with a Jazzmaster.

PRS is the only brand it's OK to be openly contemptuous of.  In an increasingly PC world we can, quite rightly, no longer get away with jokes about race, sex, sexuality, weight, nationality, religion.... so it all gets heaped on PRS.  And the gingers.

6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11449
    Philly_Q said:

Nobody says they'd be embarrassed to be seen in public with a Jazzmaster.

Speak for yourself.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mikeyrob73mikeyrob73 Frets: 4671
    crunchman said:
    Philly_Q said:

Speak for yourself.
    Oh fuck, I have a PRS, A Tele AND a Jazzmaster 

Looks like I am super uncool 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72364
    When I played PRS exclusively with my band for over five years I always considered myself more of a dental nurse than a dentist - none of mine had bird inlays, gold hardware or very flashy tops. Or not apart from the one with a pink flame (non-10!) top... :)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ICBM said:
    When I played PRS exclusively with my band for over five years I always considered myself more of a dental nurse than a dentist - none of mine had bird inlays, gold hardware or very flashy tops. Or not apart from the one with a pink flame (non-10!) top... :)
    That might have been down to the dress you wear on stage?
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NikcNikc Frets: 627
    crunchman said:
    Philly_Q said:

Speak for yourself.
    Oh fuck, I have a PRS, A Tele AND a Jazzmaster 

Looks like I am super uncool 
    Don't worry at least you haven't listed one of those lame les paul pieces of puke that were so shite even gibson stopped making them - only started again because the festering sore that they replaced it with was so shite that les wouldn't have his name on it. I think they only carry on with their sad legacy line up out of fear and a total lack of imagination - 

Just some balance for the dentists who are feeling bent of shape ;)
  • Dan_HalenDan_Halen Frets: 1648
    edited January 2019
    You just need to count the number of childish dentist references in this thread alone to see why people get so fed up with it.

Come on the guitar forum to talk about guitars... unless you happen to own a PRS in which case it's fair game for everyone to take the piss out of you. A bit of 'banter' wears thin when it's utterly relentless.

Own a blingy Tom Anderson, Knaggs, horrendous CS masterbuilt heavy relic which cost you 5 grand and it's a 'players' guitar, everyone slaps you on the back, job well done. Happen to buy a PRS and for some reason everyone then feels entitled to make assertions about your bank balance, tell you how ugly it is, how horrendous the headstock looks, how they hate the blingy tops and how they wouldn't be seen dead playing one. 

I have one but don't expect everyone to like them. However, it doesn't mean I'm happy for everyone to feel they can tell me how much they hate them. That's just fucking rude.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 9reaction image Wisdom
  • RabsRabs Frets: 2609
    edited January 2019 tFB Trader

I don't really get the PRS dentist thing.... 

I have been on the Gibson forum for years now..  We have talked about dentist guitars before... But never usually aimed at a specific brand but say at five/ten grand plus guitars... Cos usually they are the only ones who can afford them its nothing more than that, and only a joke..  And actually more often than not it was aimed at Gibson.. So like the Clapton or Page models that I think went up to like 30k (for a signed Page No1)..  Now that's a dentist guitar..

So actually considering the cost id say that anyone with an ultra true molecular level correct plastic ultra deep tennon hide glue historic Les Paul could be more accused of having a dentist guitar than most PRS's.  The fact that PRS guitars can be quite blingy thus make them a bit OTT for some people I don't think has anything to do with the cost. That's just down to personal taste which is different for everyone.

Personally I don't care what make your guitar is or how blingy it is.. Its your guitar, just enjoy it

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • fftcfftc Frets: 559
    Dan_Halen said:
    You just need to count the number of childish dentist references in this thread alone to see why people get so fed up with it.

Come on the guitar forum to talk about guitars... unless you happen to own a PRS in which case it's fair game for everyone to take the piss out of you. A bit of 'banter' wears thin when it's utterly relentless.

Own a blingy Tom Anderson, Knaggs, horrendous CS masterbuilt heavy relic which cost you 5 grand and it's a 'players' guitar, everyone slaps you on the back, job well done. Happen to buy a PRS and for some reason everyone then feels entitled to make assertions about your bank balance, tell you how ugly it is, how horrendous the headstock looks, how they hate the blingy tops and how they wouldn't be seen dead playing one. 

I have one but don't expect everyone to like them. However, it doesn't mean I'm happy for everyone to feel they can tell me how much they hate them. That's just fucking rude.
    /thread
  • RabsRabs Frets: 2609
    tFB Trader
    Philly_Q said:
    Hattigol said:

Maybe because nobody ever actually slags off any other brand?

There are one or two people on here with a strange phobia of Telecasters, many more with a hatred of relics, but I've never heard anyone slag off Fender, or Gretsch, or Rickenbacker, or Gibson, as brands.

Very much seen the opposite...  Mostly about Gibson and some of their very odd decisions from about 2015 onwards.. Ive heard a lot of hate for Henry J and what his company produced for many years. Like the 2015 models, Gibson diversifying going from the Gibson Guitar company to Gibson Brands and all the companies they bought which has now shown to have been the totally wrong direction for them.. etc etc... And not just on here its all over the internet.. Youd think by some of the reactions that Henry had personally slapped them in the face or something..
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    I'm a PRS fanboy (half my electrics are PRS and I wear the t-shirt) but am totally baffled that anyone cares what others say about the brand of guitars they own!

Whether it's jokey banter or full on malicious, I can't even imagine being even the tiniest bit peeved what anyone said about a material object I bought because I wanted to use it.

Are some people buying them as some kind of status symbol and upset that it's having the opposite effect? Is it maybe that they're not buying it as a status symbol but the same kind of psychology (i.e. connecting self-worth to a material possession) at play but in reverse?
  • DeeTeeDeeTee Frets: 764
    There are way too many people, especially in the guitar world, who are unable to separate the concepts "I don't like it" and "it's shit." PRS are a good example. I don't personally like overly figured tops, gold hardware or fancy things on my guitars. I like them to be stripped down tools. BUT - that's my preference. I wouldn't ever say a PS Private Stock is shit. It's very clearly not. It's just not my taste. If you like one, and you get one, then I hope that you enjoy it and it makes you pick it up and play.

The problem comes when people think either: "That guy said he didn't like it. That means he thinks it's shit, and I disagree. Screw that guy" OR "I don't like a thing, therefore it's shit." 

I can't be getting on with thin-necked, Floyd equipped shred machines. I don't like high end Telecaster copies. I don't like heavy relics. So I don't get them. I find that quite an easy solution.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 1949
    I have all the Lynyrd Skynyrd CDs and I'm sure one of the albums has a picture of the great Ed King playing a blue PRS Custom.

What about all those dentists tho...