Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Why do so few 'big name' bands/artists use PRS?

What's Hot

Comments

• BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 4869
    Some people talk tosh in here, Gibson get more hate than any other brand on this forum of the higher price guitars anyway, throw some banter about PRS and then the dentures dummies come out.

FFS get over it man it's just a bit of crack, just about every time I come on here someone is telling me how awful my Les Pauls are (not personally but in different threads), it was the same before the internet too. People have been slating Gibsons since the 70's at least, sometimes rightly so I don't care one bit tbh. Theres no need to get all defensive about it.  

My head said brake, but my heart cried never.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23041
    Rabs said:
    Philly_Q said:
    Hattigol said:
    What is it with PRS owners? Why do they take the bait every time and jump up and down with angst every time someone slags them off?

Maybe because nobody ever actually slags off any other brand?

There are one or two people on here with a strange phobia of Telecasters, many more with a hatred of relics, but I've never heard anyone slag off Fender, or Gretsch, or Rickenbacker, or Gibson, as brands.

Very much seen the opposite...  Mostly about Gibson and some of their very odd decisions from about 2015 onwards.. Ive heard a lot of hate for Henry J and what his company produced for many years. Like the 2015 models, Gibson diversifying going from the Gibson Guitar company to Gibson Brands and all the companies they bought which has now shown to have been the totally wrong direction for them.. etc etc... And not just on here its all over the internet.. Youd think by some of the reactions that Henry had personally slapped them in the face or something..
    Without wishing to drag out the debate, you've selectively quoted me there - in the next line I did talk about the many gripes people have about Gibson QC and various stupid things they've done with their range.

So yes, there's lots of slagging of things Gibson do, but people still think Gibson is a cool brand.  They still want SGs, 335s and Les Pauls.  The R8 thread has been running since August, it's currently 143 pages long.  I'm not planning to read it all again, but as far as I can remember it's not full of people saying "ha-ha look at your silly guitars you wankers".
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • tekbowtekbow Frets: 1699
    Mmm... no.. Not embarrassed. Neither am I a dentist.

Their pickups are rubbish though. Well they used to be. Mines from 04, dunno about now.

Stoopid photobucket.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RabsRabs Frets: 2611
    edited January 2019 tFB Trader
    Philly_Q said:
    Rabs said:
    Philly_Q said:
    Hattigol said:
    What is it with PRS owners? Why do they take the bait every time and jump up and down with angst every time someone slags them off?

Maybe because nobody ever actually slags off any other brand?

There are one or two people on here with a strange phobia of Telecasters, many more with a hatred of relics, but I've never heard anyone slag off Fender, or Gretsch, or Rickenbacker, or Gibson, as brands.

Very much seen the opposite...  Mostly about Gibson and some of their very odd decisions from about 2015 onwards.. Ive heard a lot of hate for Henry J and what his company produced for many years. Like the 2015 models, Gibson diversifying going from the Gibson Guitar company to Gibson Brands and all the companies they bought which has now shown to have been the totally wrong direction for them.. etc etc... And not just on here its all over the internet.. Youd think by some of the reactions that Henry had personally slapped them in the face or something..
    Without wishing to drag out the debate, you've selectively quoted me there - in the next line I did talk about the many gripes people have about Gibson QC and various stupid things they've done with their range.

So yes, there's lots of slagging of things Gibson do, but people still think Gibson is a cool brand.  They still want SGs, 335s and Les Pauls.  The R8 thread has been running since August, it's currently 143 pages long.  I'm not planning to read it all again, but as far as I can remember it's not full of people saying "ha-ha look at your silly guitars you wankers".

Actually (and also really not picking a fight or anything)  and someone can correct me if im wrong here, but actually that's exactly what happened on that thread..  Lots of really nasty comments being quite rude to people who were really chuffed with their new purchase..  If I remember rightly the thread got closed down because of it and then they cleaned it up and re-opened it.

And really it just depends on whats going on at any given moment... Like when Fender released those guitars which had sound cards in them you could swap out. Enough people slagged Fender off for that and it rarely ever gets brought up these days. Then what about the craziness surrounding the Silver Sky.

I do believe though that both Fender and Gibson specifically have the same issue.. I reckon that the reason these brands are perceived as cool is because of the people who played them and the music made with them over the years (obviously really). When the companies try and do something new everyone screams out, when they just make guitars based on 50s designs everyone calls them boring and moan that they just rely on their history. Its a tough situation to be in...

EDIT: actually I remember now I think why that thread was closed. something to do with being rude to Peach Guitars cos there was a few muck ups with all those orders. But there was some nastiness going on, on that thread. Plus in general I have seen enough hate for Gibsons and Les Pauls on the net to last a life time over the last few years.

The whole thing is silly anyway.. The internet is full of it.. Why should it matter to an individual if someone else doesn't like a guitar you do? All that matters if you like it. (and when I say you, I just mean people in general)

• RabsRabs Frets: 2611
    tFB Trader
    tekbow said:

Stoopid photobucket.

That's something I think we can all agree on  :D
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I have a Gibson and a PRS. I hate myself.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BigsbyBigsby Frets: 2962
    Boromedic said:
    Some people talk tosh in here, Gibson get more hate than any other brand on this forum of the higher price guitars anyway, throw some banter about PRS and then the dentures dummies come out.

Really? I read the unending R8 thread for a few weeks - just for as long as it remained entertaining - and I don't recall anyone getting called a dentist for spending daft amounts of money on a repro-Les Paul. Quite the opposite, the thread was full of back slapping and encouragement to go and buy another one... The 'Gibson hate' I see is aimed at mocking Henry J, G-force tuners, QC, etc., not the guitars, or people who buy them. 

What is the Gibson equivalent of the PRS/dentist trope? I can't say I've noticed one.

For me, as someone who's not a PRS fan, the problem with the 'dentist' jibes is not so much that they're mocking, more that they've become boring; all to often people use it without a trace of humour.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23041
    Rabs said:
    EDIT: actually I remember now I think why that thread was closed. something to do with being rude to Peach Guitars cos there was a few muck ups with all those orders. But there was some nastiness going on, on that thread. Plus in general I have seen enough hate for Gibsons and Les Pauls on the net to last a life time over the last few years.

The whole thing is silly anyway.. The internet is full of it.. Why should it matter to an individual if someone else doesn't like a guitar you do? All that matters if you like it. (and when I say you, I just mean people in general)

You're right, there was a spat which, unfortunately, led to Peach leaving the forum.  I think someone got their knickers in a twist about not being given priority notification when new stock came in... or something.

And agreed on the last point.
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 4869
    Bigsby said:
    Boromedic said:

Really? I read the unending R8 thread for a few weeks - just for as long as it remained entertaining - and I don't recall anyone getting called a dentist for spending daft amounts of money on a repro-Les Paul. Quite the opposite, the thread was full of back slapping and encouragement to go and buy another one... The 'Gibson hate' I see is aimed at mocking Henry J, G-force tuners, QC, etc., not the guitars, or people who buy them. 

What is the Gibson equivalent of the PRS/dentist trope? I can't say I've noticed one.

For me, as someone who's not a PRS fan, the problem with the 'dentist' jibes is not so much that they're mocking, more that they've become boring; all to often people use it without a trace of humour.
    Well then you clearly didn't read the thread properly then did you? There was a number of shitty comments aimed at people along the lines of you're wasting your money on a repro Les Paul (as you put it), why not buy a ......... insert whatever brand you see fit cos they're better. Along with other sly digs. There was also comments as you say aimed at Gibsons QC, Henry, and all the other stuff like there always is whenever it's mentioned. No one calls Gibson owners dentists and there is no trope because that jibe is aimed purely at PRS owners because they can't take a fricking joke, unlike Gibson owners who don't give a f**k.. 

It's about time PRS owners downed their prescription of 20000mg of Growacette and laughed it off, 

My head said brake, but my heart cried never.

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • This is silly. Gibson and PRS are both quality instruments which appeal to different people for different reasons.

Fenders are gay though.

;)

6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11957
    It's so dull reading the same boring joke about dentists over and over again
    Especially since Uk dentists are not as rich as those in the USA, so it doesn't even work as a joke in the UK

It's lucky that that normal people can afford all the other brands, since none of them charge the same as PRS for guitars

;-)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • DeeTeeDeeTee Frets: 764
    It's so dull reading the same boring joke about dentists over and over again
    Especially since Uk dentists are not as rich as those in the USA, so it doesn't even work as a joke in the UK

It's lucky that that normal people can afford all the other brands, since none of them charge the same as PRS for guitars

;-)

If the joke is just based on price, I'm not sure why it doesn't seem to be applied to Suhr, Anderson etc. 
  • DeeTee said:
    There are way too many people, especially in the guitar world, who are unable to separate the concepts "I don't like it" and "it's shit." PRS are a good example. I don't personally like overly figured tops, gold hardware or fancy things on my guitars. I like them to be stripped down tools. BUT - that's my preference. I wouldn't ever say a PS Private Stock is shit. It's very clearly not. It's just not my taste. If you like one, and you get one, then I hope that you enjoy it and it makes you pick it up and play.

The problem comes when people think either: "That guy said he didn't like it. That means he thinks it's shit, and I disagree. Screw that guy" OR "I don't like a thing, therefore it's shit." 

I can't be getting on with thin-necked, Floyd equipped shred machines. I don't like high end Telecaster copies. I don't like heavy relics. So I don't get them. I find that quite an easy solution.
    Definitely this. I'd say it applies more to things like football than guitars; I used to work with a guy who would insist every week that Arsenal had played better than the other team, even if they'd lost by 7 goals.

At the end of the day, as long as we're happy with our guitars, nothing else matters does it? My Squier, my Performance and my old King V got *way* more dislikes than likes on the Rate My Guitar thread but am I going to stop playing them? No, because they feel and look great to me. My Charvel isn't a real Tele, but I love the way it plays, looks & sounds so it's my main guitar now. No-one is going to change my mind on that. I'm kind of rambling again aren't I? Sorry, I do that sometimes...
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

• p90foolp90fool Frets: 31647
    I think we've finally established this week why so few big name artists use PRS, it's because if you take the strings off the bloody frets fall out.

:)
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    p90fool said:
    I think we've finally established this week why so few big name artists use PRS, it's because if you take the strings off the bloody frets fall out.

:)
    Frets are for old people.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6907
    Dan_Halen said:
    You just need to count the number of childish dentist references in this thread alone to see why people get so fed up with it.

Come on the guitar forum to talk about guitars... unless you happen to own a PRS in which case it's fair game for everyone to take the piss out of you. A bit of 'banter' wears thin when it's utterly relentless.

Own a blingy Tom Anderson, Knaggs, horrendous CS masterbuilt heavy relic which cost you 5 grand and it's a 'players' guitar, everyone slaps you on the back, job well done. Happen to buy a PRS and for some reason everyone then feels entitled to make assertions about your bank balance, tell you how ugly it is, how horrendous the headstock looks, how they hate the blingy tops and how they wouldn't be seen dead playing one. 

I have one but don't expect everyone to like them. However, it doesn't mean I'm happy for everyone to feel they can tell me how much they hate them. That's just fucking rude.
    In your PRS fan boy rant clouded by red mist you probably don’t even realise what you’ve done - but I’m pretty sure calling a guitar horrendous is the same as someone hating one?

I love this thread it keeps on giving...
    Previously known as stevebrum
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Not sure where the bank balance comments come from when there's quite a healthy thread on here about the Peach R8s where it seems to be enthusiastically accepted that 2.5k is cheap as chips. Plenty of money sloshing around amongst Gibson fans apparently! No dentist comments on that thread.
  • wellsyboywellsyboy Frets: 453
    Hattigol said:
    wellsyboy said:
    There are a lot of ignorant comments on here about dentists and furniture guitars blah blah blah - pisses me off every time - if someone works hard and wants to indulge themselves why not! The green monster is alive and well on fretboard. NO I am not a dentist but I don't see what that has to do with it. That said -  I have had loads of different guitars over the years Fenders, Gibsons, Tom Andersons, Collings and PRS's. The PRS's include an old PRS Standard (bought new in 1989/90) , a 513 brazilian, swamp ash studio, hollowbody 2, a signature 408. I never bonded with those PRS's and all of my guitars have been moved on to at some stage fund further purchases. The Collings have mostly endured - I have def bonded with them but I will move one or two of those eventually because I am getting to the point where I cannot justify keeping them as I am not playing as much these days and haven't gigged for several years now. The two PRS's I did bond with were a DGT which I still regret selling (couldn't get on with the control layout), and a 594 which I still have. I think these 2 are brilliant guitars especially the 594 - I LOVE the neck and the pickups are great - the control setup is more classic and so suits me well - I think it is a fantastic guitar and hope that it stays with me for a long time. Pojnt is - I like playing it. If I made it big and was a touring or session player I would use it. I think that a player either bonds with an instrument or doesn't. That goes for any instrument. Don't take this the wrong way but the big name bands and artists are in the minority when it comes to guitar players. How many guitar players are there in the world? and how many guitars? Also don't forget the guitar companies are all competing with one another and I don't see anything wrong with making beautiful instruments in order to sell guitars. The fact that they are superbly made and wonderfully playable should not come in for criticism and is obviously why the company is doing so well. FFS stop knocking PRS!!!!! They make great guitars and are innovative - the likes of Fender and Gibson IMHO are behind in that regard and to a point survive on their names. Rant over.

I have Gibsons, a Fender and a Gretsch. Seriously, say whatever you like about them. Anything. Then cast thine eye upon my field of fucks and see that not a solitary one will be given.

If you like them, great. If others don't, chill the hell out.
     The point I was trying to make was that the same applies to all guitars - I’m not ranting because I’m a PRS owner I’m doing it because its always PRS that gets the knocks. 
  • wellsyboywellsyboy Frets: 453

Rabs said:

I don't really get the PRS dentist thing.... 

I have been on the Gibson forum for years now..  We have talked about dentist guitars before... But never usually aimed at a specific brand but say at five/ten grand plus guitars... Cos usually they are the only ones who can afford them its nothing more than that, and only a joke..  And actually more often than not it was aimed at Gibson.. So like the Clapton or Page models that I think went up to like 30k (for a signed Page No1)..  Now that's a dentist guitar..

So actually considering the cost id say that anyone with an ultra true molecular level correct plastic ultra deep tennon hide glue historic Les Paul could be more accused of having a dentist guitar than most PRS's.  The fact that PRS guitars can be quite blingy thus make them a bit OTT for some people I don't think has anything to do with the cost. That's just down to personal taste which is different for everyone.

Personally I don't care what make your guitar is or how blingy it is.. Its your guitar, just enjoy it

And I don’t think Joe Bonamassa started life as a dentist!
  • BigsbyBigsby Frets: 2962
    Boromedic said:
    Bigsby said:
    Boromedic said:

Well then you clearly didn't read the thread properly then did you? There was a number of shitty comments aimed at people along the lines of you're wasting your money on a repro Les Paul (as you put it), why not buy a ......... insert whatever brand you see fit cos they're better. Along with other sly digs. There was also comments as you say aimed at Gibsons QC, Henry, and all the other stuff like there always is whenever it's mentioned. No one calls Gibson owners dentists and there is no trope because that jibe is aimed purely at PRS owners because they can't take a fricking joke, unlike Gibson owners who don't give a f**k.. 

It's about time PRS owners downed their prescription of 20000mg of Growacette and laughed it off, 
    I did say I only read the R8 thread for as long as it was entertaining - during the feeding frenzy. Once it started filling with photos of R8s there was nothing in it to interest me. When reading it, there were very few negative comments at all (of course, there were some - it's a guitar forum after all), but there was no equivalent to the dentist jibes - and we seem to agree that there isn't one. As such, Gibson owners don't have to give a f**k - which is just as well given Gibson's reputation for QC. (Note - even that is still a dig at Gibson, not the owners).

So why should PRS owners have to 'laugh it off', again and again and again and again and again, years after the joke got old, when other guitar owners don't get this crap? Why are a small number of non-PRS owners clinging onto this tired old joke anyway?