Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Discussion Thread for "Rate My Guitar"

What's Hot

Comments

• ronnybronnyb Frets: 1747
    Frost red.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2244
    @Jonathanthomas83 Hmm.. I think someone might need to eat their guitar strap soon :)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3402
    edited December 2018
    Sporky said:
    Gassage said:
    Conclusions one can draw:

1. Gold tops are loved, flamey bursts are not. (surprising!)
    2. Strats and Teles rule.
    3. People don't like blue guitars
    4. People don't like green guitars
    Today I am opposites day. 
    5. People are pretty conservative. Strats, 335s, les paul's all do well.
    6. Ibanez's and PRS's are polarising
    7. More hate than love
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    I’d say the lol/wis ratio depends on how people interpret the “rules”

Some lol’s might be “nah, not for me” - some might be “aaaagh it’s hideous” but some might be “I had one, it was nice, but I didn’t gel with it” etc. 

• BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    As an aside - is anyone else lol/wis’ing like me? I’ve been lol’ing stuff I really don’t like, wis’ing stuff I really like, and neither for stuff I feel neither one nor the other about?

It may explain why some have large numbers of lol, wis or both but some have only a few lols or wis’s.

Crikey that was hard to type.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TenebrousTenebrous Frets: 1332
    Philly_Q said:

I'm quite surprised by the number of LOLs on that thread.

Maybe I'm not as mean-spirited as I thought I was.  I'm happy to WOW something if I like it, but I can't actually bring myself to LOL at somebody's pride and joy.

….unless someone shows up with something from the Peavey PXD series.

Image result for peavey pxd series

With a more standard headstock & proper inlays, I'd actually play that third one... Oh, it'd also have to be a different colour.

The design itself I actually like.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23041
    edited December 2018
    Tenebrous said:
    Philly_Q said:

Maybe I'm not as mean-spirited as I thought I was.  I'm happy to WOW something if I like it, but I can't actually bring myself to LOL at somebody's pride and joy.

With a more standard headstock & proper inlays, I'd actually play that third one... Oh, it'd also have to be a different colour.

I'm sure they were pretty serviceable metal guitars, with the EMGs and Kahlers.  But they look awful and it's the names that get me as much as, or more than, the look - who thought it was a good idea to call a guitar the Peavey Tragic?
    Philly_Q said:
    Tenebrous said:
    Philly_Q said:

I'm sure they were pretty serviceable metal guitars, with the EMGs and Kahlers.  But they look awful and it's the names that get me as much as, or than than, the look - who thought it was a good idea to call a guitar the Peavey Tragic?
    My guess? The "Twenty-Three" marketing guys from Peavey rose from their "Tomb" at the heart of the "Void" & decided, unanimously, that this guitar should be called.

*Flicks back jet black hair*

"The Tragic."
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Goldtop PRS just went up, immediate Lol, I wonder if people are ignoring the no brand hating rule? PRS' have definitely divided opinion. Looks like a beautiful guitar to me. (Says the guy who liked and bought the most disliked guitar on the forum)

I'm not suggesting that this vote wasn't genuine, but I'm still skeptical. Hmmmm.
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
  • markblackmarkblack Frets: 1591
    Tenebrous said:
    crunchman said:
    Tenebrous said:
    I just gave a "LOL" to a custom shop telecaster... I feel disgusting :anguished: 
    Was that the one with the pink over sunburst.  If so it deserves a LOL.  If it was mine, I'd get it refinished in a nice NOS LPB finish.

Aye that one. I really like the pink, but over the sunburst... Nah, I'm really not a fan of those finish over finish guitars.
    Lol, glad you don't like it. :) if we all liked the same things it would be a dull old place. Full of "brown" les Paul's (which I have has well :)
  • LuttiS said:
    @Jonathanthomas83 Hmm.. I think someone might need to eat their guitar strap soon :)
    Haha, I had a feeling this would come up!

markblack said:
    Tenebrous said:
    crunchman said:
    Tenebrous said:
    I just gave a "LOL" to a custom shop telecaster... I feel disgusting :anguished: 
    Was that the one with the pink over sunburst.  If so it deserves a LOL.  If it was mine, I'd get it refinished in a nice NOS LPB finish.

Aye that one. I really like the pink, but over the sunburst... Nah, I'm really not a fan of those finish over finish guitars.
    Lol, glad you don't like it. :) if we all liked the same things it would be a dull old place. Full of "brown" les Paul's (which I have has well :)

I'd take your tele in a heartbeat over a brown LP =) The tele is gorgeous, it's just that one corner that makes me go AHHHH! I'd make it all pink :+1: To each their own.
  • markblackmarkblack Frets: 1591
    Tenebrous said:
    markblack said:
    Tenebrous said:
    crunchman said:
    Tenebrous said:

I'd take your tele in a heartbeat over a brown LP =) The tele is gorgeous, it's just that one corner that makes me go AHHHH! I'd make it all pink :+1: To each their own.

I MUST HAVE EVERYONE ON THE INTERNET LIKE MY GUITAR! :) So I popped down to Halfords.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Haha, now THAT my friend is a Wow! from me...

(But I still gave the post a LOL)

What does it all mean!?
  • PVO_DavePVO_Dave Frets: 2379
    Goldtop PRS just went up, immediate Lol, I wonder if people are ignoring the no brand hating rule? PRS' have definitely divided opinion. Looks like a beautiful guitar to me. (Says the guy who liked and bought the most disliked guitar on the forum)

I'm not suggesting that this vote wasn't genuine, but I'm still skeptical. Hmmmm.
    Thought I’d test the love for goldtops theory :) 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72549
    edited December 2018
    Goldtop PRS just went up, immediate Lol, I wonder if people are ignoring the no brand hating rule? PRS' have definitely divided opinion. Looks like a beautiful guitar to me.

It has bird inlays, therefore immediate lol. No exceptions. If it had moons it would have got a wow.

Altnough the lampshade knobs and mix’n’match brass and nickel hardware make it closer than it should be...

Jonathanthomas83 said:

(Says the guy who liked and bought the most disliked guitar on the forum)
    I’ve actually changed my vote on that - it’s only the knobs that ruin it. If it had black or white ones it would look great.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • PVO_Dave said:
    Goldtop PRS just went up, immediate Lol, I wonder if people are ignoring the no brand hating rule? PRS' have definitely divided opinion. Looks like a beautiful guitar to me. (Says the guy who liked and bought the most disliked guitar on the forum)

Thought I’d test the love for goldtops theory :) 
    Hats off to you, I really like that. And for reference, I've not voted any other goldtops. There's something about the PRS singlecutshape that I really like...despite how against the grain that is!

ICBM said:
    Goldtop PRS just went up, immediate Lol, I wonder if people are ignoring the no brand hating rule? PRS' have definitely divided opinion. Looks like a beautiful guitar to me.

It has bird inlays, therefore immediate lol. No exceptions. If it had moons it would have got a wow.

Altnough the lampshade knobs and mix’n’match brass and nickel hardware make it closer than it should be...

Jonathanthomas83 said:

(Says the guy who liked and bought the most disliked guitar on the forum)
    I’ve actually changed my vote on that - it’s only the knobs that ruin it. If it had black or white ones it would look great.

I can't argue with that logic to be fair.

Haha, thank you for that, my poor old guitar is taking a pasting! :-) Black 60's knobs would look awesome.

• @Bigsby 10 "visits" and 894 Frets!!! Jesus! haha

What have I done to this website!

• TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2911
    I like that PRS Goldtop but yeah moon inlay would make it a bit nicer looking.
  • BigsbyBigsby Frets: 2962
    @Bigsby 10 "visits" and 894 Frets!!! Jesus! haha

What have I done to this website!
    What on earth does 10 'visits' mean? I've been here pretty much every day since I joined (3rd March), sometimes more than 10 times a day.  Does 'visit' mean daily average number of visits? :) (I guess, it's something to do with the number of log ins - and I'm staying logged in between visits).

BTW, great thread (and not for the frets), It's been fascinating to see the responses in general, but also to the guitars I posted. There seems to be a lot of love for hollow bodies, except the F-hole-less Spacehawk - perhaps it's the holes people really like? (No, seriously, I realise the Spacehawk is not everyone's thing).

But I'm surprised the Guild S-60 got more Wows than LoLs (so far 28 to 13). Those sold really poorly, and many people seem to find them really ugly (I, of course, love it), and it's certainly very different to the more traditional designs.

And there's really not a lot of love for SGs here - especially if they've got carved flame maple tops.  Also, the purple burst Chowny bass is doing slightly better than the Cherry SG bass; that's a surprise to me.