Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Discussion Thread for "Rate My Guitar"

What's Hot

Comments

• munckeemunckee Frets: 12415
    terada said:
    terada said:
    mikem8634 said:
    It is very difficult to lol a guitar that somebody has built with their own two hands simply because there are one or two aesthetic elements that don't appeal to my particular taste. Seems overly harsh.
    So far I have over 280 lols on the first page alone. @Jonathanthomas83 has over 80 on a single post.

Don't let it get you down, its ok for people to dislike stuff, and I'd rather people were honest. :)
    Exactly. I've learned that I should probably never trust my tastes and not buy a blue Les Paul ever, ever again! haha. ;-)
    Haha! Avoid avoid! The weird thing is that my inverness green les paul (which I traded a couple of months ago), came out roughly evens. 

Turns out we're a fickle bunch ;)
    I don't even like les pauls but nearly bought an inverness green one once, lovely looking guitar.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Exactly. I've learned that I should probably never trust my tastes and not buy a blue Les Paul ever, ever again! haha. ;-)
    Well if you ever decide you don't want a blue Les Paul any more, please let me know! :)
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

• Exactly. I've learned that I should probably never trust my tastes and not buy a blue Les Paul ever, ever again! haha. ;-)
    Well if you ever decide you don't want a blue Les Paul any more, please let me know! :)
    Ahh, thanks mate. I actually sold it back in September, so it's long gone. It was a nice guitar but didn't come close to my R8 once I got that :-)
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27178
    edited January 2019
    I'm super late to this. Have gone through and lol/wowed as appropriate. I'm surprised my own partscaster strat has done so well. I've always said green is the best colour. 

I'm baffled by what kind of deviant would lol a black LP Custom though. There's literally nothing cooler!
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • thebreezethebreeze Frets: 2808
    Here’s a possible divider, CS ‘63 Custom Tele

0reaction image LOL 7reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • tekbowtekbow Frets: 1699

Summary of what i think is happening in the general sense.

- PRS cores and above gets lol'd by Gibson owners and anyone that doesn't have one. PRS owners claim green eyed monster.

- PRS SE gets lol'd by PRS core owners and gibson owners.

- Gibson Les Pauls are lol'd because Gibson at the moment and LP owners rabidness about them. Gibson owners claim green eyed monster.

- Traditionalists outweigh fans of more modern instruments. If it's gotta Floyd, lol.

- If it's super expensive or pretty, lol. Owners claim green eyed monster.

- If it's a fender, it's pretty safe, unless heavy relic or super bling.

- If it's something connoisseur-ish (gretsch, yamaha SG's etc) safe.

- If its a functional, unpretentious partscaster, safe.

- If it's a non LP gibson, pretty safe.

Here's why i think the above.

- Guitar players are broadly an ageing demographic.

- Because they're an ageing demographic traditional styles are favoured.

- Even when they're not older players, the guitar heroes of the 60's and 70's are still a big influence in terms of aesthetics

- There's a financial divide which would follow the trend of ageing demography although not as clear cut as the traditional vs modern thing.

- aside from this, during Gibson's recent problems, LP owners especially doubled down on backing their brand of choice, despite the demonstrable numerous issues at Gibson.

The whole Gibson PRS thing has always confused me given Gibson basically invented the flashy figured carve top thing.

I'm the guy that started the equivalent amp thread, and that has suprised me somewhat. Seems we're a lot more accepting of Amps than Axes.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2244
    tekbow said:

I'm the guy that started the equivalent amp thread, and that has suprised me somewhat. Seems we're a lot more accepting of Amps than Axes.

I was just going through and thought the same - i suppose for the most part (lookswise) an amp is a black box, and most of the ones posted so far are good amps, that are on the whole desirable. 

I posted the Kustom 36 - i expected a good mix of lols/wows for that - as people in the past have been very split about the roll top on that series, usually a love/hate type thing, but so far only have wows. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Wait, there's an amp thread?

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • timmypixtimmypix Frets: 2408
    edited January 2019
    Didn't know we had a discussion thread - again I was a late joiner, and I've really enjoyed going through everyone's guitars. It's surprising how there are guitars that divide opinion that I would have thought that would be definite winners, and there's just a great mix in general.

I've also learned that from the LOLs I've received, I do not have popular taste in guitars. 
    Tim
  • Jonathanthomas83Jonathanthomas83 Frets: 3474
    edited January 2019
    Don't take it personally mate. Many of us have spent hundreds and thousands and had plenty of LOL's on those guitars. We're all just really different. Though, maybe we're not, I'm tempted to agree with @tekbow's evaluation above.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8794
    Wait, there's an amp thread?
    Oh man!  That's Tuesday morning written off.
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72558
    I see @HarrySeven has joined in on Rate My Guitar...

We may be some time :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • timmypixtimmypix Frets: 2408
    Don't take it personally mate. Many of us have spent hundreds and thousands and had plenty of LOL's on those guitars. WerrW all just really different. Though, maybe we're not, I'm tempted to agree with @tekbow's evaluation above.
    Oh I don't at all, different strokes for different folks and all that - as you say, I think there's certainly a general taste in this forum. That said, for every ten reliced Strats there's something weird and wonderful in there too, so while there's a trend I think there's still a great mix here. I'm really enjoying seeing everything.
    Tim
  • I was thinking if its unremarkable, brown, looks like a potato, or been buried in a grow bag for 12 months, it should score well! ;)
    I'm always looking for interesting USA Hamers for sale.

At the moment I'm looking for:
    * Hamer Watson, SS2, Vintage S, T62.
    * Music Man Luke 1, Luke II

Please drop me a message.
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31648
    I was thinking if its unremarkable, brown, looks like a potato, or been buried in a grow bag for 12 months, it should score well! ;)
    My Strat is all of the above and got lol'ed
    :)
  • p90fool said:
    I was thinking if its unremarkable, brown, looks like a potato, or been buried in a grow bag for 12 months, it should score well! ;)
    My Strat is all of the above and got lol'ed
    :)
    And at one stroke, my theory is destroyed :) !!!
    I'm always looking for interesting USA Hamers for sale.

At the moment I'm looking for:
    * Hamer Watson, SS2, Vintage S, T62.
    * Music Man Luke 1, Luke II

Please drop me a message.
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31648
  • ewalewal Frets: 2605
    ICBM said:
    I see @HarrySeven has joined in on Rate My Guitar...

We may be some time :).
    A superb collection! So much more worthwhile and interesting than another anonymous collection based on the holy trinity...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • GrokeGroke Frets: 3
    edited January 2019
  • drwiddlydrwiddly Frets: 918
    Must get the camera out, I have an avalanche of lols awaiting!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom