Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Discussion Thread for "Rate My Guitar"

What's Hot

Comments

• Bigsby said:
    @Bigsby 10 "visits" and 894 Frets!!! Jesus! haha

What have I done to this website!
    What on earth does 10 'visits' mean? I've been here pretty much every day since I joined (3rd March), sometimes more than 10 times a day.  Does 'visit' mean daily average number of visits? :) (I guess, it's something to do with the number of log ins - and I'm staying logged in between visits).

BTW, great thread (and not for the frets), It's been fascinating to see the responses in general, but also to the guitars I posted. There seems to be a lot of love for hollow bodies, except the F-hole-less Spacehawk - perhaps it's the holes people really like? (No, seriously, I realise the Spacehawk is not everyone's thing).

But I'm surprised the Guild S-60 got more Wows than LoLs (so far 28 to 13). Those sold really poorly, and many people seem to find them really ugly (I, of course, love it), and it's certainly very different to the more traditional designs.

And there's really not a lot of love for SGs here - especially if they've got carved flame maple tops.  Also, the purple burst Chowny bass is doing slightly better than the Cherry SG bass; that's a surprise to me.

Ha, on your profile it says 10 visits, I guess it's doing a count of logins, as you say. Perhaps your fret count isn't that much of a surprise given the frequency of your visits :-) it's been a good thread and I love your photos mate.
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BigsbyBigsby Frets: 2962
     it's been a good thread and I love your photos mate.
    Cheers for that! Again, it's been an interesting thread, thanks for starting it. I, for one, am happy to let you off eating your guitar strap, (others may not be so lenient). :)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RabsRabs Frets: 2611
    tFB Trader

Taking this where it should be...

@ICBM

For me...  I don't care about solid colours so much..  You know whats under it, but a nice top or a tasteful burst and I think hiding it is a crime  :) 

Unless a player plays so hard they actually need a pickguard in which case, guard away  :)

• teradaterada Frets: 5114
    edited December 2018
    good plan @Rabs. For others involved, it involves my decision to keep the pick guard off of my R9

link to the post

• Gassage said:
    Conclusions one can draw:

1. Gold tops are loved, flamey bursts are not. (surprising!)
    2. Strats and Teles rule.
    3. People don't like blue guitars
    4. People don't like green guitars
    ...apart from my Strat! (although I'm not bitter, honest!) :D 
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

• As an aside - is anyone else lol/wis’ing like me? I’ve been lol’ing stuff I really don’t like, wis’ing stuff I really like, and neither for stuff I feel neither one nor the other about?

It may explain why some have large numbers of lol, wis or both but some have only a few lols or wis’s.

Crikey that was hard to type.
    That's exactly how I'm doing it 

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

• Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2431
    Gassage said:
    Conclusions one can draw:

1. Gold tops are loved, flamey bursts are not. (surprising!)
    2. Strats and Teles rule.
    3. People don't like blue guitars
    4. People don't like green guitars
    It also seems that most voters are pretty conservative in their tastes. I started off voting to the rules with Wows and Lols but after a short while that seemed pretty negative so I then just stuck to awarding Wows to the guitars I personally liked the look of whilst acknowledging that other members, thank goodness, have different tastes. Somehow awarding Lols seemed to be mocking them, which was surely not the intention.

My only entry was a fairly conventional guitar that won mostly Wows but I'd really liked to have submitted another Tele that is very much unconventional and contentious to see how that fared. It's in bits at present so hopefully the thread will still be alive when it's put back together for photographing after Christmas. I'll anticipate plenty of Lols :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I'd love to do it all again because the first half of the thread has way more votes...way more LOL's, the second half has less votes but also seems to be more positive and has more Wows that I'd expected. Which leads me to think that a lot of the initial reaction to most of the posts was negative for negative sake. Who knows. That's my thoughts though.

• SnagsSnags Frets: 5407
    Probably more that at the start the "rules" are fresh in peoples' minds and so they're doing exactly as asked (lol if you don't like it, wow if you do, wis if you're tepid).  As the thread goes on a) fewer people are probably following it (and early on it was a nightmare to keep up with, so I dipped in and out) and b) people get a bit more relaxed about 'rules' and just start shazaming based on stronger reactions.
  • True enough, @Snags!

• TenebrousTenebrous Frets: 1332
    Super Strats are getting trashed. It's an unjust world...

Positions 2/4 on a Super Strat sound better than on a standard S/S/S Fender Strat. Come at me :+1: 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • With all the LOLs I'm getting - I feel like the funniest chap on the forum!!
    I'm always looking for interesting USA Hamers for sale.

At the moment I'm looking for:
    * Hamer Watson, SS2, Vintage S, T62.
    * Music Man Luke 1, Luke II

Please drop me a message.
  • I'd love to do it all again because the first half of the thread has way more votes...way more LOL's, the second half has less votes but also seems to be more positive and has more Wows that I'd expected. Which leads me to think that a lot of the initial reaction to most of the posts was negative for negative sake. Who knows. That's my thoughts though.
    I think it's partly like @Jimbro66 said too though: awarding a lol seems to feel a bit more aggressive than just saying you don't like a guitar. That has certainly influenced how many posts I've lol'd. I've mostly not voted where something isn't my cup of tea, just an occasional lol for a guitar that has made me fall off my chair in fright and/or horror

• RMJRMJ Frets: 1274
    I'm not doing bad. Across 3 guitars posted I have 16 lols and 61 wows. Happy with that.

Beep
  • It is very difficult to lol a guitar that somebody has built with their own two hands simply because there are one or two aesthetic elements that don't appeal to my particular taste. Seems overly harsh.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited December 2018
    mikem8634 said:
    It is very difficult to lol a guitar that somebody has built with their own two hands simply because there are one or two aesthetic elements that don't appeal to my particular taste. Seems overly harsh.
    So far I have over 280 lols on the first page alone. @Jonathanthomas83 has over 80 on a single post.

Don't let it get you down, its ok for people to dislike stuff, and I'd rather people were honest. 
    :)
  • terada said:
    mikem8634 said:
    It is very difficult to lol a guitar that somebody has built with their own two hands simply because there are one or two aesthetic elements that don't appeal to my particular taste. Seems overly harsh.
    So far I have over 280 lols on the first page alone. @Jonathanthomas83 has over 80 on a single post.

Don't let it get you down, its ok for people to dislike stuff, and I'd rather people were honest. 
    Exactly. I've learned that I should probably never trust my tastes and not buy a blue Les Paul ever, ever again! haha. ;-)

• terada said:
    mikem8634 said:

That's a fair point. As I've said before, it's easy to get caught up in the disparity between simple dislike and 'laughing out loud' at something, but the mechanisms for scoring were always going to be a compromise. Just have to keep the spirit of the thread in mind. BTW I have really enjoyed these two threads.
    terada said:
    mikem8634 said:

Exactly. I've learned that I should probably never trust my tastes and not buy a blue Les Paul ever, ever again! haha. ;-)
    Haha! Avoid avoid! The weird thing is that my inverness green les paul (which I traded a couple of months ago), came out roughly evens. 

Turns out we're a fickle bunch ;)
  • terada said:

Turns out we're a fickle bunch ;)
    I say this all the time, I'm prime culprit for this!