Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

The "I will never sell this guitar" Thread

What's Hot

Comments

• JotaJota Frets: 464
    I always say that, if someday I have to sell everything, this would be the last:

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MrBumpMrBump Frets: 1244
    I'd never sell this - mostly because no bugger would buy it.

It's a Charvel ST - only it isn't, the body is, and the trem.  The rest of it is such a mix of different stuff, it's a complete mongrel.  

But it's the best sounding guitar in the world.  It's the only guitar I own that I'd be devastated to lose.
    Mark de Manbey

Trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/72424/
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • teradaterada Frets: 5113
    Right its been 3 days since the thread was started - any sold yet?  ;)
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2430
    MrBump said:

It's a Charvel ST - only it isn't, the body is, and the trem.  The rest of it is such a mix of different stuff, it's a complete mongrel.  

But it's the best sounding guitar in the world.  It's the only guitar I own that I'd be devastated to lose.
    I've got to say I really like the look of that @MrBump, even though I'm normally not much of a Strat fan. Is that an ebony board or dark rosewood?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • McTootMcToot Frets: 2042
    I'm a serial breaker of the never sell rule. I love buying guitars, having a few guitars around and playing several different guitars in any one day. I look at the guitars I have at the moment and only two (of the 5) are safe, - one more than the other.  

This one, bought by Lady McToot for my yet-to-happen 50th, is the most safe. Even if I totally stop playing the guitar (unlikely but fate and health issues sometimes piss on one's chips) I will mount this on the wall as a thing of beauty.  It's only a crappy iPad picture but here it is in its Slashy goodness:

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder

My trading feedback  - I'm a good egg  ;) 

• LegionreturnsLegionreturns Frets: 7965
    edited December 2018
    The "I will never sell this guitar" Thread

That title could also be applied to some of the ...shall we say optimistic listings regularly featured in the classifieds section...

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • teradaterada Frets: 5113
    Oh and these...

I just love paisley

Utterly utterly stunning
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Having parted with a few really good instruments early on and very much regretting it, I vowed not to sell anything that I have really bonded with. That leaves me with a fair few that I wouldn't dream of selling.

First up would be my Rickenbacker 4001.

I bought this in 1990 for an absolute steal, later discovering it's from 1973. It has a bit of a dodgy refinish on the back, covering some buckle rash, but for me, it's the perfect bass. On the few occasions I've played it live, I've always had people come up to me afterwards and comment on how much they liked the sound. The 13 is because it was the thirteenth guitar or bass that I had owned, if you include some really shonky, unplayable acoustics that various family members would leave with me. Coincidentally, it has become a significant number for me, though not for any superstitious, mumbo-jumbo reasons.

The chrome scratchplate was on it when we bought it and I honestly think it looks great on this particular instrument.

Yeah, this one will be interred with me in my pyramid when I shuffle off this mortal coil.
    My wife asked me to stop singing Wonderwall.
    I said maybe.....
    0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6153
    JerkMoans said:

Keep coming back to look at this - it's lovely.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2850
    goldtop said:
    JerkMoans said:

It is. Love the way the scratch plate disappears into the body. 

Not sure what it is, first glance thought it was a Gordon Smith?
  • MrBumpMrBump Frets: 1244
    edited December 2018
    Jimbro66 said:
    MrBump said:

I've got to say I really like the look of that @MrBump, even though I'm normally not much of a Strat fan. Is that an ebony board or dark rosewood?
    Thanks, @Jimbro66 - kind of you to say.

Yep - it's a replacement maple/ebony neck - it made a MASSIVE difference to the tone of the guitar overall - it's not skinny, reasonably full in the hand.  I can't even remember where I got it from, I've tried to find similar since but have been unable to.

Mark de Manbey

Trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/72424/
  • enjoenjo Frets: 278
    Fuengi said:

It's a Feline
    edited December 2018
    ... too late...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • joetelejoetele Frets: 951
    My MIM Tele (upgraded in about 2008 with Samarium Cobalt Noiseless pickups when I knew nothing about pickups. Might consider changing them for something a bit hotter). Bought when I was a big Tom Morello fan but despite serving that purpose really well, it's genuinely a fantastic guitar for rock, blues, jazz, country, ambient stuff....just wonderful. It's not much, and there are thousands around like it, but it's mine. 

I've had this since February 2004, and it's the only guitar over the years that's stayed with me when others have come and gone. The neck is just utterly stunning to play, and it's aged wonderfully with a nice golden yellow to the maple now. A couple of dings here and there but still in pretty good condition despite being thrashed about a fair bit. And it just stays in tune. It feels really played in and comfortable. 

I've also got a Vintage V72 thinline tele and getting an Ibanez ARZ200 goldtop for Xmas/birthday, but while those may end up elsewhere (who knows), the MIM Tele will always stay with me. I could never give up that neck - smooth, silky and comfortable, and better than any of the other 2003 MIM Tele necks I'd tried in shops at the time. 

MUSIC: Pale Blurs
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Fuengi said:
    goldtop said:
    JerkMoans said:

Feline Lion Cub I think. 
    Bloody lovely. 
  • SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
    The Feline Junior is lovely.

I would love to see a New Year trend/wish in which it becomes more common for very talented builders to put their own name on guitars which are inspired by iconic designs.

Terry Morgan has recently resigned as the Chairman of Crossrail/HS2.
    Let's not rule out the possibility that he will use all his spare time to build more guitars with the wrong name on the headstock. Surely nobody wants to see that?
    =)

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • It's the guitar I've been playing the longest to date (8 years) everything else at that time has gone. It's practically speaking, irreplaceable. So knock on wood it'll stay here. CS 330L

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    Vaiai said:
    DrJazzTap said:
    I dont name guitars, they are only planks of wood and metal.
    I don't name them either and they are tools but you can bond with one or more. I named my kids they are only flesh and blood.

Taking something down to the constituent parts does not remove any affection, bond or connection with it - it's only wood and metal is not a valid argument - if we keep down that line of argument we get to everything is just quarks and atoms etc etc... - btw - this is a general feeling of mine @DrJazzTap ;; - not directed at you personally - it's just that your comment said it
    Isn’t there some kind of legal requirement to name ones children, though? Even if there isn’t, it would be more difficult to navigate through life without having a name, I’d have thought.. 
    Not having a go, btw, it just occurred to me as I read your post..
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11594
    tFB Trader
    Skipped said:
    The Feline Junior is lovely.

I would love to see a New Year trend/wish in which it becomes more common for very talented builders to put their own name on guitars which are inspired by iconic designs.

Our lacquer finish ones do have a name as well as the pearl inlaid catseye logo
    Oil finish ones often just have the eyes as the oil doesn't seem to like working with some waterslide or rub down transfer logos in my experience.
    Here is a fully logo'd one with a lacquer finish

Here is an earlier pic of the guitar from above with a nice blonde companion

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!