Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Jimmy Page's Mirrored and Dragon Telecasters

What's Hot

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14508
    edited January 2019
    It would be far more faithful to the spirit of the original to just DIY one yourself by modifying stock or building a partscaster. Who the hell buys these kind of things?
    Probably, the same people who buy from TPP.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • wesker123wesker123 Frets: 496
    There is obviously not a 'whole lotta love' for the JP Tele on this forum, but certainly with regard to the Masterbuilt Version, we are not the customer - Re-phrase to 'most of us are not the customer'

Yet I wonder what we'd have said back in 2004 when Gibson released 3 different Jimmy Page Les Paul's all based on his #1 -  only 25 x aged and signed  - only 150 x aged   - only 870 x authentic finish

all three versions have risen well beyond their original value, with the aged and aged/signed versions having seriously risen in value - I recall back in 2004 a lawyer from London calling me and phoning around other UK dealers, desperate to buy an aged/signed version for a client - He was offering to pay in excess of the selling price to jump the queue - ie, if you had one on order for a customer, then he'd pay £1000 to the customer and an additional £1000 to the dealer in order that you dropped out the sale and allocate it to him on arrival

I chose not to order any of the Masterbuilt models as I admit the price scares me, but I bet dealers who have ordered them will have them sold in no time at all - I would be surprised if any stock remains for sale once we get to the warm summer months
    PRS - Dentist
    Gibson - Lawyer
    Fender - ?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • monoaminemonoamine Frets: 506
    Fender - Millionaire
    1979 Tokai TE-85
    1980 Tokai LS-80
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MagicPigDetectiveMagicPigDetective Frets: 3032
    edited January 2019
    Fender - ex Prime Ministers
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9704
    edited January 2019
    He only plays unplugged at home on them obviously or he incurs Satan next doors wrath
    I assume Jimmy lives at 668 then...
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2401
    Here's an alternative.....I'd rather buy this guitar below and spend another £500 on getting a graphic designer to paint the Dragon and maybe a £100 on getting the pickguard made. Then take said guitar to London to my friend who works in connection with Mr Page and get him to sign the headstock rear and lacquer over it. Then I'd have a genuine old wood 60's Dragon signed Tele....and have saved £13000! On second thoughts I'd just buy this Tele and enjoy it as it was (should I want a 60's one)...who wants a Dragon on their guitar?
    Gotta love Fender though, it certainly knows how to remove money from the vunerable! Like Mark says, they will all sell in a heartbeat.

https://reverb.com/item/18125464-fender-telecaster-1960-blonde

https://images.reverb.com/image/upload/s--DVNtFGM0--/f_auto,t_supersize/v1547069899/jq5ctvi09rt2kibo3oai.jpg

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • MikeSMikeS Frets: 2133
    edited January 2019
    It's a bit hard to take this seriously when we see things like this lack of attention to the most basic detail...

Signature half under the Tuner. Really Fender, at this price point?

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14310
    tFB Trader
    wesker123 said:
    There is obviously not a 'whole lotta love' for the JP Tele on this forum, but certainly with regard to the Masterbuilt Version, we are not the customer - Re-phrase to 'most of us are not the customer'

Yet I wonder what we'd have said back in 2004 when Gibson released 3 different Jimmy Page Les Paul's all based on his #1 -  only 25 x aged and signed  - only 150 x aged   - only 870 x authentic finish

all three versions have risen well beyond their original value, with the aged and aged/signed versions having seriously risen in value - I recall back in 2004 a lawyer from London calling me and phoning around other UK dealers, desperate to buy an aged/signed version for a client - He was offering to pay in excess of the selling price to jump the queue - ie, if you had one on order for a customer, then he'd pay £1000 to the customer and an additional £1000 to the dealer in order that you dropped out the sale and allocate it to him on arrival

I chose not to order any of the Masterbuilt models as I admit the price scares me, but I bet dealers who have ordered them will have them sold in no time at all - I would be surprised if any stock remains for sale once we get to the warm summer months
    PRS - Dentist
    Gibson - Lawyer
    Fender - ?
    Fender - ? ='s venture capitalist
  • Anyone who willingly hands over £23k for a reissue with stick on mirrors should immediately be sectioned. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9704
    edited January 2019
    Anyone who hands over £23K for a Telecaster must be Dazed and Confused!

I wonder if a Noddy Holder hat with stick-on mirrors might be in the pipeline.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28339
    The mirror guitar. Looks like what you'd get if you asked Katie Price to decorate a guitar using items in her handbag and told her she had a maximum of 10 seconds.
    8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8189
    It would be far more faithful to the spirit of the original to just DIY one yourself by modifying stock or building a partscaster. Who the hell buys these kind of things?
    Probably, the same people who buy from TPP.
    Someone has bought from TPP???
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8189
    wesker123 said:

PRS - Dentist
    Gibson - Lawyer
    Fender - ?
    Oligarchs?
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
  • clarkefanclarkefan Frets: 808
    I'm a big Page fan, he is personally responsible for me picking up a guitar in the first place 35 years ago, and I've always thought he looked cool, even with a Strat or an RD Artist.

But that dragon Tele has always looked like shit to me.  I have zero idea why anybody would want one.  Except, cynical hat on, they think they'll make money.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • chris78chris78 Frets: 9347
    £23k is just silly, but almost £1300 for a Mexican guitar? I’m not a snob and I think the stuff coming out of the Mexican factory is very good indeed. I’m also aware that the pound isn’t at its strongest, but again, £1300 for a Mexican guitar???
  • chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 3987
    chris78 said:
    £23k is just silly, but almost £1300 for a Mexican guitar? I’m not a snob and I think the stuff coming out of the Mexican factory is very good indeed. I’m also aware that the pound isn’t at its strongest, but again, £1300 for a Mexican guitar???
    ...for a signature model Fender guitar with a custom paint job, aged lacquer finish, and a hard case. I’m not sure I see an issue with that.
  • Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2401
    Philly_Q said:
    Jesus, you have to buy the two...ffs. Beyond belief. Imagine what guitars you could buy for that.The Dragon Tele in my eyes looks nothing like the original either.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/dc/1c/a8/dc1ca89085147dbba53298e5396cbb82.jpg
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23007
    Strat54 said:
    Philly_Q said:
    Jesus, you have to buy the two...ffs. Beyond belief. Imagine what guitars you could buy for that.The Dragon Tele in my eyes looks nothing like the original either.

The pictures I've seen so far all look photoshopped or "enhanced" in some way.  Maybe it'll look better in real life.
  • TINMAN82TINMAN82 Frets: 1846
    Philly_Q said:
    Imagine the uproar if this was a set of Gibson Les Paul’s! That said, I think we have to accept that there are a lot of people out there for whom that sort of money is pocket change. I’m sure they won’t be available for long.