Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Jimmy Page's Mirrored and Dragon Telecasters

What's Hot
124»

Comments

• 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7344
    edited February 2019
    so are these taking the aesthetic from his embroidered loons suit from the 70s?

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
  • They sound shite if you don't play them through a Sundragon amp apparently.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14310
    tFB Trader
    impmann said:
    Tough crowd. And I’d wager most of you aren’t target market. 

As a a historical document the mirrors are correct and look ‘right’. Would I gig it? No... but then again I’m not in a Yardbirds tribute band.

You are all going nuts about the cost, but won’t blink about Gilmour’s partcasters selling for more than a million. Even 001 is a bitsa (ask Seymour Duncan - he built it). Point is. all of the guitars are wood and wires - the ‘value’  you place upon them is based upon your own perspective. Will the dragon Tele make you play like JP? No. Will owning the black Strat make you play like Gilmour? Not a chance. And would either of the two gents in question sound like themselves playing CV Squiers? Yes, 100%.

Like I say, the ‘value’ is based on perspective. Don’t get angry or resentful about it.
    I said earlier that most FB members are not the target for such a package - But it is a free country (still and just) so I suppose we have to listen to all comments

I'm sure there are FB Members who have spent more than £48K collectively on guitars over the years - Might even be the odd member who has spent 48K + on one guitar, I don't know - Personally if I had the luxury of 48K to spend on guitars, I'd probably spend it on 4/5/6 nice instruments, say 5-10K each, than so much on one instrument - I'd prefer the variety as against all my eggs in one basket

But 48K to some is small change - And to the right person they would have great pride in owning such a package

Is it worth it ? - One answer is if you can afford it you don't need to justify it - If you can't afford it then you can't justify it

Ref Dave's #001 Strat - I mentioned similar in the posting about Dave selling his collection - I've read so much about the SD story that states/implies it is a bitsa - Yet surprised this story has not made more main line news in the relevant press etc - After all SD is a known and knowledgeable figure within the guitar trade - Only a guess on my part, but since it has been in DG's collection for many years now, no known source has had to, or been allowed to evaluate it accordingly and maybe DG doesn't want/need to state otherwise - At least the EC Blackie Strat was public knowledge about its origin
  • chris78chris78 Frets: 9346
    impmann said:
    chris78 said:
    chris78 said:
    £23k is just silly, but almost £1300 for a Mexican guitar? I’m not a snob and I think the stuff coming out of the Mexican factory is very good indeed. I’m also aware that the pound isn’t at its strongest, but again, £1300 for a Mexican guitar???
    ...for a signature model Fender guitar with a custom paint job, aged lacquer finish, and a hard case. I’m not sure I see an issue with that.
    It’ll be the most expensive guitar Fender have sold from Mexico. The road worns were about £500 when they came out.
    Yes but that was 15 years ago...
    2009. And you’re not telling me inflation or even the pound’s weakness has led to a 260% increase. I accept businesses need to make money, but the Page tele is exorbitant in my view. Of course, I don’t have to buy one, and won’t. Lots of people will. I might even jump on one when they are £750 second hand as a long term investment 

The road worns were never £500 new.

There’s already a couple of MIM Fenders over a grand - Brad Paisley Tele and TVL Jazzmaster. I’ve not read much of the Paisley but I haven’t seen a bad review of the TVL.
    They were under £600. I got one in about 2009/10.
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12668
    chris78 said:
    impmann said:
    chris78 said:
    chris78 said:
    £23k is just silly, but almost £1300 for a Mexican guitar? I’m not a snob and I think the stuff coming out of the Mexican factory is very good indeed. I’m also aware that the pound isn’t at its strongest, but again, £1300 for a Mexican guitar???
    ...for a signature model Fender guitar with a custom paint job, aged lacquer finish, and a hard case. I’m not sure I see an issue with that.
    It’ll be the most expensive guitar Fender have sold from Mexico. The road worns were about £500 when they came out.
    2009. And you’re not telling me inflation or even the pound’s weakness has led to a 260% increase. I accept businesses need to make money, but the Page tele is exorbitant in my view. Of course, I don’t have to buy one, and won’t. Lots of people will. I might even jump on one when they are £750 second hand as a long term investment 
    Ok so 10 years ago....

And they were £599 at launch - as I nearly bought a 72 Tele Custom. But then again, a US standard Strat was sub £1k if you shopped around... 

What was the exchange rate? I remember it being about 50p to $1.... that makes a massive difference. And it was around that time, as I was importing large quantities of Harmony Bobkats at that point from the US before the bubble burst.

Point is, unless you have a time machine the price then is irrelevant. Everything has gone up - blame whatever you want. But fact is, all prices for US and Mexican guitars of all flavours have gone up.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Not interested. I never really liked Led Zeppelin or Jimmy Page and the Telecasters look cheap and nasty. I’m sure that they’ll be a commercial success however, there are plenty of wealthy collectors around and as there are only a limited number of the Custom Shop ones being made they’ll probably fetch more than the current, excessive, asking price in a few years.
  • I don't want one but I don't really see the fuss. They're for the same subset of people as McLaren P1s, rainbow-diamond Rolexes and plain white Prada t shirts. 

If you don't get it, you're clearly just not the target market.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    impmann said:
    chris78 said:
    impmann said:
    chris78 said:
    chris78 said:
    Ok so 10 years ago....

And they were £599 at launch - as I nearly bought a 72 Tele Custom. But then again, a US standard Strat was sub £1k if you shopped around... 

What was the exchange rate? I remember it being about 50p to $1.... that makes a massive difference. And it was around that time, as I was importing large quantities of Harmony Bobkats at that point from the US before the bubble burst.

Point is, unless you have a time machine the price then is irrelevant. Everything has gone up - blame whatever you want. But fact is, all prices for US and Mexican guitars of all flavours have gone up.
    That illustrates my point. If a us standard was a grand then and is £1300 now (less in some cases), that’s a 30% increase. More than merited based on inflation, exchange rate etc.

If a road worn has gone from £599 to £1300, that’s insane, even allowing for the fact that quality has probably gone
    up
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7050
    tFB Trader
    chris78 said:

If a road worn has gone from £599 to £1300, that’s insane, even allowing for the fact that quality has probably gone
    up
    Fender must have calculated that that price point, balancing volume sold and margins, provides the greatest profit. 
  • This calcuation IMHO aren't right with a star named Jimmy Page. Probably this is the most influencial Fender testimonial of all times. 
  • On record when did Page start using Les Pauls.  Was it the crap albums after Physical Graffiti or before?
  • On record when did Page start using Les Pauls.  Was it the crap albums after Physical Graffiti or before?
    Heartbreaker on II is the first confirmed LP use. Anything past that may or may not be an LP or the Tele, but everyone argues about it. It's generally accepted that the Stairway solo is the Tele, fwiw.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • To be truly authentic these should probably come with a lightly modded replica of Howling Wolf's guitar. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ColsCols Frets: 7074
    Not interested. I never really liked Led Zeppelin or Jimmy Page.
    There’s a faint possibility that you may not be the target audience for these guitars.
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • To be truly authentic these should probably come with a lightly modded replica of Howling Wolf's guitar. 
    I know exactly what you mean.