Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

NAMM - New 20W Marshalls?

What's Hot

Comments

• TwinfanTwinfan Frets: 1625
    Buy the head, problem solved.  They're by far the best option.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • photekphotek Frets: 1463
    edited January 2019
    TINMAN82 said:
    No obvious reason why they’ve gone for 10 inch speakers in the other two.
    Profit. Going for a smaller speaker lets them hit the required price point I guess.
    Plus those who realise a 1x10 combo is a folly will purchase the head and overpriced 1x12 cab. The Jubilee 2x12 cab was over £500!

Lickily most of us have decent cabs anyway so the head will do the job.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I thought the Jube cab was reasonably priced - it's available for £411 if you shop around.  Speakers are £100+ retail these days.

Try looking at Friedman and Bogner cab prices if you want to see a rip off.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24294
    Marshall have replied on YouTube to the cone size question.

They say after loads of testing the 10 sounded better.

That might be true. But as we also know, guitarists are luddites who will refuse to believe that the 10 sounded better even if it did.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • photekphotek Frets: 1463
    Twinfan said:
    I thought the Jube cab was reasonably priced - it's available for £411 if you shop around.  Speakers are £100+ retail these days.

£400 odd is more reasonable, they were £560 or so when I was looking. I paid £550 for my Bogner OS which is in my opinion a much better cab.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72376
    Marshall have replied on YouTube to the cone size question.

They say after loads of testing the 10 sounded better.

That might be true.
    If that was true, they were using the wrong 12” as well. Why not a Greenback?

They seem to just obtusely resist doing what everyone wants them to do, as if they can’t be seen to give in to popular demand. I really don’t get it.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27043
    I like 10" speakers...
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • matonematone Frets: 211
    ICBM said:
    TINMAN82 said:
    Just watched the vid...the jubilee combo appears to be the only one with a 12 inch greenback speaker, so appears to be exactly the same as the mini jub combo that’s been out for a while. No obvious reason why they’ve gone for 10 inch speakers in the other two.
    I didn't spot that in the spec earlier.

Why do they *always* have to screw something up? It's really not hard to get this right - just make a small version of a classic amp. When has the classic speaker for a Plexi or a JCM800 *ever* been any variety of 10"? It's so inexplicable I can only think it must be deliberate.

Fail.
    Too right ,they must have a` Muddled Thinking Dept` to achieve as many own goals....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited January 2019
    I like 10" speakers...
    So do I, but they don’t sound the same as 12”s. And if they sound different, then it’s missing the point - especially as given what their modern amps sound like, I don’t trust Marshall R&D’s idea of ‘better’ at all.

I know, I’m starting to sound like the guy on TGP who doesn’t believe they’ll sound anything like a Plexi when he hasn’t heard one... but this just sounds like an excuse for using a cheaper speaker to me.

They need to just stop pissing around - the target market for these doesn’t care if the amp is £20 more expensive... they do care if it isn’t *right*. And unlike using the wrong model of 12” speaker, the average buyer isn’t going to be able to replace a 10” with the right 12”.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17625
    tFB Trader
    Even on the Andertons demo they are clearly struggling with the combo trying to get more bass.
    photek said:
    Twinfan said:

£400 odd is more reasonable, they were £560 or so when I was looking. I paid £550 for my Bogner OS which is in my opinion a much better cab.
    If that was new it wasn't recently.  It's £849 for a 2x12 and £1099 for a 4x12 these days...
    Ridiculous prices for a cab...
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11877
    Twinfan said:
    You haven't seen their metal one. £715

https://www.musik-produktiv.com/gb/bogner-atma-112-10071131.html
    Twinfan said:

At least there's some very different technology and probably a much more expensive construction process in that one than just a few bits of plywood and some vinyl.

• RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11877
    ICBM said:
    Twinfan said:

At least there's some very different technology and probably a much more expensive construction process in that one than just a few bits of plywood and some vinyl.
    I think it is a metal ring/sides with ply at the back.
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2168
    How much is a full fat jtm45 Anyway? It kind of seems that marshall are playing catch up to friedman again. 
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
  • HHwarnerHHwarner Frets: 137
    Twinfan said:
    Buy the head, problem solved.  They're by far the best option.
    This
    Take my money please. Iv been waiting for the mini 800 for a lifetime
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited January 2019
    I've listened to the demos now and I do think they've done very well with them - except for the 1x10" combos. Surprisingly it's not that they lack bass, it's that they sound congested and muddy at the bottom end. The Jubilee combo sounds noticeably better - more open and ringing, like a Marshall should - and that's even though the Jubilee cabinet is closer to a completely closed back than the other two.

The Vintage head through the 2x12" sounds really great though, even with V-Types. The sound at 2'22" is pretty much perfect - and actually has a surprising amount of gain given where the knob is set. I expected to want the JCM800 combo, but on the strength of the three demos it's actually the Plexi head I would buy.

• fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 4101
    The jubilee sounds clearer and more defined to buy ears.   Lovely