Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

NAMM - New 20W Marshalls?

What's Hot
123457»

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72376
    Nerine said:
    One thing they definitely got wrong with the 800 version is that it looks wrong. The edges of the cabinet look too big for the logo and rest of the amp IMO. Isn't proportioned very well. 

Its only a small thing, but it's that kind of thing that makes it look a bit naff IMO. Like a toy. 

Im sure they sound alright, but even so...irks me. 
    I know what you mean, but I think it's just that the edges look thicker because the box is smaller - the logo *is* smaller but I think that's a good thing, the huge 80s logo would look out of place too.

It's a difficult balance to get right when you scale something down, but I think overall these look right - at least they've avoided past howlers, like not giving the JTM1 enough knobs so it looked like there was something missing... because there was.

And at the end of the day these *are* toys, for those of us who want that old-school rock tone at a volume that won't upset the neighbours in our suburban semis, or the pub owner and the council noise officer - real rock stars will continue to use full-size 2203s, I'm sure...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2898
    I do think the 800 looks a bit too much like the DSL20H, shame it doesn't have the old school basketweave style grille cloth which would have been nice. It doesn't sound like a toy though :) massive through a 4x12.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72376
    TTBZ said:
    I do think the 800 looks a bit too much like the DSL20H, shame it doesn't have the old school basketweave style grille cloth which would have been nice.
    JCM800s never had basketweave cloth.

There is a popular belief that they did, like this...

... but in fact that is a standard black grille which has faded from exposure to light. If you lift the logo you'll see a perfect black 'shadow' behind it.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2898
    Ah, that's the one! Looks much better than the standard black though.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom