Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

NAMM - New 20W Marshalls?

What's Hot

Comments

• Hope the build is better than the shitty Jubilee 20 watt reissue.

Damn thing fell apart on me within a few hrs. Input jack broke off the pcb and a button switch failed and wouldn’t engage 

These new models all sound very toppy and thin like the jubilee I had. Very thin with no balls whatsoever 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TwinfanTwinfan Frets: 1625
    Hope the build is better than the shitty Jubilee 20 watt reissue.

Damn thing fell apart on me within a few hrs. Input jack broke off the pcb and a button switch failed and wouldn’t engage 

These new models all sound very toppy and thin like the jubilee I had. Very thin with no balls whatsoever 
    Nothing wrong with my Jube, I've used and gigged it solidly for over 2 years.  Maybe you got an odd duff one?

Cranking them up fattens the tone out, like most Marshall's they're not designed to be a low volume home-use amp.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • photekphotek Frets: 1463
    edited January 2019
    Twinfan said:

Nothing wrong with my Jube, I've used and gigged it solidly for over 2 years.  Maybe you got an odd duff one?

Cranking them up fattens the tone out, like most Marshall's they're not designed to be a low volume home-use amp.
    Yup, same here my mini jube has had the nuts gigged out of it with no issues (well apart from the power light not working). Sounds fat a fook if you want it to as well.

Edit: Mine is going through a 2x12 cab though so might fatten it up.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DougCodaDougCoda Frets: 642
    They've shipped the 800 heads and the Vintage Combos, we have them so everyone else should do too, only tried the 800 head and it's very good..a return to form
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Not sure if i like the SLP demos better than the 800

• TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2898
    edited January 2019
    photek said:
    Twinfan said:

Yup, same here my mini jube has had the nuts gigged out of it with no issues (well apart from the power light not working). Sounds fat a fook if you want it to as well.
    No issues with my Mini Jubilee either - don't gig it but it gets used for a few hours rehearsal a week. I have a bit of valve rattle but that seems pretty common with a lot of small valve combos. And yeah the 1x12 cab can feel a bit boxy especially with the greenback - it comes alive plugged into a 212.

I've decided that although the Studio Vintage would be nice I'm just gonna stick with the Jubilee for now. Prefer the more usable EQ and higher gain without needing pedals.
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4184
    The Plexi does look interesting 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11877
    I’ve always wanted a Plexi....and I already have a 1 x 12 Bogner cab...

how much are these?
  • andyozandyoz Frets: 718
    Do we know if they use 1 x valve in 5w mode?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72376
    andyoz said:
    Do we know if they use 1 x valve in 5w mode?
    Not yet, but it's one of the likely possibilities, along with half HT voltage. (Half voltage swing gives a quarter of the power.) It won't be triode because that gives around half power - that's what the original Jubilees had.

If someone would like to buy one and send it to me for reverse engineering I would be happy to find out. Should only take a couple of years... :)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • andyozandyoz Frets: 718
    Could Coda look thru the rear grille and see if only one valve lights up in 5w mode
    andyoz said:
    Could Coda look thru the rear grille and see if only one valve lights up in 5w mode
    That won't be how it's done, even if it is - the filament remains on even if no signal is going through the valve.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• JasonJason Frets: 1103
    tFB Trader
    The Plexi sounds (to me) just like you want one to sound, I played one for a couple of hours two weeks ago, I'm having one. Even at 5w it was bloody loud.
    The Guitar Show, Cranmore Park, Birmingham | Website | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter | Podcast
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Might try one at the show
  • JasonJason Frets: 1103
    tFB Trader
    sweepy said:
    Might try one at the show
    Just not in the quiet times ;)

I think you'll like it
    The Guitar Show, Cranmore Park, Birmingham | Website | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter | Podcast
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Just seen a “look inside” video someone’s posted on YouTube. 

Anything that looks troublesome in there @ICBM ?

https://youtu.be/zBJ13aNBsv8
    Untrained eye but that looks cheap and cheerful
    It’s not too bad... but it is a bit cheap, as sweepy said.

No proper box chassis, cheap (I think Chinese) transformers, loads of jumper connectors and crappy pots are all less than ideal, although not necessarily that likely to cause trouble.

But not as well made as a Jet City - for an amp with a similar level of complexity they should be closer than that. The circuit is also more complex than an original 2203, but most of that is probably due to the power stage switching.

One of the criticisms in that video is just ignorance - no, there is no bias pot... because it’s cathode biased! In fact, it appears to be separately biased with one 150-ohm resistor per power valve, which probably confirms that the 5W mode is single-ended.

• The studio vintage sounds great in the videos I've seen. The only thing that is keeping me from pulling the trigger is volume with a (bloody loud) drummer.. if any of ye lads get a chance to try it out live I'd be very interested!
  • NerineNerine Frets: 2164
    One thing they definitely got wrong with the 800 version is that it looks wrong. The edges of the cabinet look too big for the logo and rest of the amp IMO. Isn't proportioned very well. 

Its only a small thing, but it's that kind of thing that makes it look a bit naff IMO. Like a toy. 

Im sure they sound alright, but even so...irks me. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom