Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

NAMM - New 20W Marshalls?

What's Hot

Comments

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24296
    Despite my helix I am really tempted by the 800 head.

But I do want to hear the front end getting absolutely battered first.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBM said:
    I've listened to the demos now and I do think they've done very well with them - except for the 1x10" combos. Surprisingly it's not that they lack bass, it's that they sound congested and muddy at the bottom end. The Jubilee combo sounds noticeably better - more open and ringing, like a Marshall should - and that's even though the Jubilee cabinet is closer to a completely closed back than the other two.

The Vintage head through the 2x12" sounds really great though, even with V-Types. The sound at 2'22" is pretty much perfect - and actually has a surprising amount of gain given where the knob is set. I expected to want the JCM800 combo, but on the strength of the three demos it's actually the Plexi head I would buy.

As you know I've been praying for a smaller JCM800 for some time now!!
    I think I may well end up with one of each, I think the JCM800 and Plexi style both sound great.
    Might see if prices come down a bit though, the existing mini jubilee amps are quite a bit less!!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3870
    I like 10" speakers...
    So do I when there's more than one: 2x10 and 4x10 sound great.
    In my experience, 1x10 combos just don't cut it at rehearsal, when you don't have the luxury of miking everything. 1x12 is far more effective, hence why they're more popular. Ridiculous decision by Marshall.

Jubilee sounds best to me too. 
  • clarkefanclarkefan Frets: 808
    Fully expected to prefer the 1959 but the 800 sounds very authentic to my ears, it's immediate, there's that sound   Enjoyed them all, will give them a proper listen later.  

600 quid for the 2x12s is a bit steep. 
  • TwinfanTwinfan Frets: 1625
    edited January 2019
    I think the vertical 2x12s look cack.  Much better to get a (cheaper) horizontal one and swap speakers if required.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JotaJota Frets: 464
    There's also the new Original 2x12 vertical cabs for half. Different speakers and probaby poorer construction but they look great!

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17625
    tFB Trader
    The more I think about this the more I think they've missed a trick by making a 1x10.

If the combo had been a 1x12 it would be a real contender to the HRD as a pub gig machine for the single channel and pedal board crowd.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72376
    Twinfan said:
    I think the vertical 2x12s look cack.  Much better to get a (cheaper) horizontal one and swap speakers if required.
    Maybe, but vertical ones sound better and are less directional.

The diagonal 2061 cab is great too, and looks the best of any of them.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Each to their own :)
  • ICBM said:
    Twinfan said:
    Maybe, but vertical ones sound better and are less directional.

The diagonal 2061 cab is great too, and looks the best of any of them.
    I was thinking that myself.
  • Just spoke to guitarguitar, no availability date yet.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72376
    Twinfan said:
    Each to their own :)
    Not really, it's physics - a vertical cab is genuinely less directional than a horizontal one, which might be counterintuitive I know! But I agree that they can look a little odd, when you're used to the standard way of doing it.

The little 2061 cab really is brilliant though - it looks just like a miniature 4x12" and seems to be a good compromise for directionality. Not sure why Marshall haven't gone the same way for these new ones, but as matone said earlier the Muddled Thinking Dept may have been at work again...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Less directional doesn't make it sound better, it just makes it less directional.

Like I said, each to their own.
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    • Valves: 2 x ECC83, 1 x ECC83 (phase splitter) and 2x EL34 
  • MoltisantiMoltisanti Frets: 1133
    the 800 does sound good to me, I think they will move a lot of these - it's nice to see they do actually pay attention to what people want (finally!)

• shaunmshaunm Frets: 1598
    I’d hate to be trying to sell a 2203 right now
  • photekphotek Frets: 1463
    edited January 2019
    Twinfan said:
    Aye, some of the narrower ones look pants, these two are a bit wider so look like scaled down 4x12’s imo.

1966a and 2061cx

https://imgur.com/gallery/PG4mBH5

Looks like Origin cab comes with 70/80’s
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • slateslate Frets: 89
    photek said:
    Twinfan said:
    Aye, some of the narrower ones look pants, these two are a bit wider so look like scaled down 4x12’s imo.

1966a and 2061cx

https://imgur.com/gallery/PG4mBH5

Looks like Origin can comes with 70/80’s :(
    Oooh, nice!! 
    Are they yours Mark?

• photekphotek Frets: 1463
    slate said:
    Oooh, nice!! 
    Are they yours Mark?

They are, the Origin looked a bit tall on top though.

https://i.imgur.com/XmdMJrF.jpg
  • slateslate Frets: 89
    photek said:
    slate said:
    Oooh, nice!! 
    Are they yours Mark?

They are, the Origin looked a bit tall on top though.

https://i.imgur.com/XmdMJrF.jpg
    Very cool,looks great!! 
    I've been thinking about buying another 212 - I think I need to try one of those 2061s :)