Just Sold a Guitar on Ebay ...

What's Hot
deloreandelorean Frets: 224

I’ve just sold a guitar on ebay and will be shipping it next week in a hard case.

This is first time I’ve sold something this pricey on ebay before and not had a face-to-face collection so I’m a bit wary.

What (if anything) can I do to protect myself from the buyer filing a false claim that the guitar wasn’t in the case/was broken in half/made out of a potato etc?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30291
    Cross your fingers and pray.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 15reaction image Wisdom
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5426
    Not a lot unfortunately. Weigh the parcel (which you'll have to do anyway if you are arranging a cheap courier).Take pics of it before it ships so any condition issues can be disputed, but you'll find that if the buyer wants to dispute they kinda just can and they won't really let you have much of a say. Is their feedback good? If so, you can likely trust them. I've sold loads of guitars on eBay and never had a dispute, save for one old banjo that had a busted tuner that I didn't notice. Gave the guy a partial refund (against what wasn't much anyway) so he could replace it, all ended well. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • deloreandelorean Frets: 224
    The thing that worries me is that they only have 2 feedback on Ebay.  Both excellent, but still, it's only 2...

Also, I had it on a buy it now or best offer - and she hasn't tried to make an offer.

She's about 2 hours from me and doesn't want to collect it because she's "terrible at driving".  I offered to meet halfway with it, but she declined for the same reason.  Also, it's a present for her boyfriend so she wants it to turn up unexpectedly.

I've just read so many horror stories that I'm a wee bit worried - maybe unnecessarily so?
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28339
    Close your account and move house?
    8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • I’ve never had any issues with selling on eBay but I’ve read some right horror stories (as have we all, I expect).

If you’re really worried, two hours isn’t that much of a drive; could you deliver it to her yourself? That way you know it’s going to arrive safely and you can see it in her hands...
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • mgawmgaw Frets: 5280
    I would deliver in person if I was that worried but get payment in CASH...NOT paypal 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • McTootMcToot Frets: 2042
    ^^ What the good Skullfunkerry says. Offer to deliver it (so that 'there's no risk of it getting damaged in transit') for a small fee (ie the same as courier). If you were willing to take an offer on it and she's paid full monty then you can forgive the petrol hit. Meet at a mutually convenient public place. 

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder

My trading feedback  - I'm a good egg  ;) 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Offer to deliver it if she pays cash... and see what she says. Offer to meet her in public somewhere nearby her house so if it's legit she'll feel safer. If she comes up with excuses as to why that can't work then consider that a red flag.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    Well, she hasn't paid yet - she's away util Tuesday so has asked if she can wait until then.  I just feel a little bit uneasy about the whole thing.
  • Dan_HalenDan_Halen Frets: 1648
    Take a load of photos before you put it in the case and a load of the case as well. Also, some when packed. Make sure you ship insured for the full value as well so you've got yourself covered to an extent.

I've always gone collection only when selling any guitars or amps on eBay but it's a bit late for that. It will *probably* be fine - millions of items are sold on eBay with no issue. However, just 2 feedback isn't great. Some people just buy a couple of items for a quid each to give themselves some feedback. The idea of it turning up unexpectedly as a surprise sounds a bit iffy as well but could be legit.

Roughly how expensive was it out of interest? If it was a couple of hundred it'd probably be fine but if you're talking a grand then I'd be suspicious as that would be one hell of a surprise present when it's something he might not like.
    Whitecat said:
    Offer to deliver it if she pays cash... and see what she says. Offer to meet her in public somewhere nearby her house so if it's legit she'll feel safer. If she comes up with excuses as to why that can't work then consider that a red flag.
    This I think, is a good idea.  It's a couple of hundred mile round trip, but I guess I could take Mrs DeLorean and make it a day out.

Or alternatively I could go on my own and enjoy the drive...
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Saw a suggestion somewhere to take photos as you pack it and secure it. At least have some proof it wasn't delivered in a bin bag etc.
    Dan_Halen said:
    Make sure you ship insured for the full value as well so you've got yourself covered to an extent.

I wouldn't necessarily do this, it depends on the courier service. Some exclude guitars completely and some limit liability to £100. Check the fine print and insure for the max amount they will actually cover you for (which could be zero!) - they will all take your money for insurance to full value (which can get pricey) but in the event you need to claim they will just fob you off with T&Cs.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8189
    edited January 2019
    I would drive it there. If she refuses, tell her your concerns and pull out.

If you must post it, video the whole packing process and weighing, then sign across the seal. Send them the video.

You'll still have naff all chance of a good outcome if all goes tits up but hey, you tried.
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
  • Whitecat said:
    Dan_Halen said:
    Make sure you ship insured for the full value as well so you've got yourself covered to an extent.

I wouldn't necessarily do this, it depends on the courier service. Some exclude guitars completely and some limit liability to £100. Check the fine print and insure for the max amount they will actually cover you for (which could be zero!) - they will all take your money for insurance to full value (which can get pricey) but in the event you need to claim they will just fob you off with T&Cs.
    Agreed. Also, with the photos, I’m not sure they’d get you far in a legal sense; it wouldn’t take much to take photos of the guitar being wrapped properly, but to then send something which didn’t match the photos at all...
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

• AdeyAdey Frets: 2274
    I'd go with the "deliver it yourself for the cost of the courier and meet in a public place if she is bothered about her boyfriend seeing it come into the house" option.

You can then give her a receipt - "received the sum of £xxx for guitar. Sold as Seen" and get her to countersign it. Done
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Dan_Halen said:

Roughly how expensive was it out of interest? If it was a couple of hundred it'd probably be fine but if you're talking a grand then I'd be suspicious as that would be one hell of a surprise present when it's something he might not like.
    It was just over 300quid.  The more I think about it, the more wary I feel..

I think you guys might be right about taking it there in person and getting a receipt countersigned.  It's a ball-ache, but I'd be super-pissed if I lost a £300-odd guitar because of some Ebay douchebag..

• IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6906
    Hattigol said:
    If she refuses, tell her your concerns and pull out.
    Good advice that can be applied to many situations...
    Previously known as stevebrum
    21reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • carloscarlos Frets: 3451
    delorean said:
    Well, she hasn't paid yet - she's away util Tuesday so has asked if she can wait until then.
    I'd start to worry about now...
  • Simon_MSimon_M Frets: 542
    The most likely outcome is that the guitar is delivered on time in good condition to the lady from eBay and she leaves positive feedback before giving it to her boyfriend as a special gift which he is dead chuffed about.

It could go sour but unlikely.