Just Sold a Guitar on Ebay ...

What's Hot

Comments

• DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7344
    Should have said I won't rape you in case it puts you off the sale.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TINMAN82TINMAN82 Frets: 1846
    I’ve sold guitars on eBay up to around £1200 with no problems. Used to organise and hand in directly at UPS depot but Interparcel website is actually more convenient and cheaper. Insurance is arranged through that website and a courier of your choice collects from your door, easy. The only pain sometimes is finding the right guitar box and packaging. It actually annoys me a bit when I’m looking at a guitar on eBay and the seller isn’t willing to post! Usually it’s their loss as the net is so much smaller. 

The situation OP mentions is weird and the buyer clearly a nutter. I don’t see the problem with PayPal and posting guitars in general though. At the end of the day, you don’t post anything until the payment comes through. Your ad should stipulate the acceptable timeline for payment (their side) and postage (your side). If they don’t pay on time, you cancel and relist.

The main problem with eBay in particular is the fees and for a guitar I’d wait until they’re running a £1 selling fee promotion. Id probably try gumtree first if there’s no promotion happening and I’m in a rush.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TINMAN82 said:
    I’ve sold guitars on eBay up to around £1200 with no problems. Used to organise and hand in directly at UPS depot but Interparcel website is actually more convenient and cheaper. Insurance is arranged through that website and a courier of your choice collects from your door, easy. The only pain sometimes is finding the right guitar box and packaging. It actually annoys me a bit when I’m looking at a guitar on eBay and the seller isn’t willing to post! Usually it’s their loss as the net is so much smaller. 

The situation OP mentions is weird and the buyer clearly a nutter. I don’t see the problem with PayPal and posting guitars in general though. At the end of the day, you don’t post anything until the payment comes through. Your ad should stipulate the acceptable timeline for payment (their side) and postage (your side). If they don’t pay on time, you cancel and relist.

The main problem with eBay in particular is the fees and for a guitar I’d wait until they’re running a £1 selling fee promotion. Id probably try gumtree first if there’s no promotion happening and I’m in a rush.
    The other risk (although it's a minority that do this, and I have to say it's never happened to me) is that if the buyer puts in some sort of claim then eBay/PayPal can take the money back off you and the onus is on you to prove that there's no problem. I've read some proper horror stories about people claiming that they've received an empty case and the seller losing the guitar and the money
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
    TINMAN82 said:

The other risk (although it's a minority that do this, and I have to say it's never happened to me) is that if the buyer puts in some sort of claim then eBay/PayPal can take the money back off you and the onus is on you to prove that there's no problem. I've read some proper horror stories about people claiming that they've received an empty case and the seller losing the guitar and the money
    Never heard of that happening and find it astonishing that eBay would do that, particularly for a seller with a perfect record. I guess on a high value item you could stipulate that buyer must have at least 10 positive feedbacks or something like that. That is criminal activity on behalf of the buyer and would have to be dealt with accordingly.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Simon_MSimon_M Frets: 542
    For many stories like this:

http://www.reddit.com/r/choosingbeggars
    0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • McTootMcToot Frets: 2042
    edited January 2019
    It's just occurred to me: has anyone had a gander at Mumsnet to see if there are any threads by, I don't know, someone like 'Waynetta of Wankcaster' (somewhere in Northants I believe) explaining (in poorly written English) about how she narrowly avoided being snared by a vicious rapist posing as a guitar seller and warning people of the dangers of buying on eBay?

You never know...

B) 

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder

My trading feedback  - I'm a good egg  ;) 

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Simon_M said:
    For many stories like this:

http://www.reddit.com/r/choosingbeggars
    Some jaw-dropping stories on there!
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12382
    edited January 2019
    This whole thing sounds very reminiscent of a certain architectural photographer Who Shall Not Be Named and the way he operated (pretended to be a woman selling photo gear, had to work shifts so couldn’t meet up in person for a handover etc etc)  Not saying it’s actually him, but it’s a very common method of scamming sellers. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7344
    TINMAN82 said:
    TINMAN82 said:

Never heard of that happening and find it astonishing that eBay would do that, particularly for a seller with a perfect record. I guess on a high value item you could stipulate that buyer must have at least 10 positive feedbacks or something like that. That is criminal activity on behalf of the buyer and would have to be dealt with accordingly.
    That's cos you're most likely a decent person, but it does happen all the time. There's been articles in the guardian about it.
    Mabye I’ll stick to gumtree after all. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30291
    delorean said:
    Anyone wanna buy a guitar? 

(It's not shit I promise)
    Not now I know you're a bloody rapist!
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mbembe Frets: 1840
    TINMAN82 said:
    Mabye I’ll stick to gumtree after all. 

I always get a constant stream of messages asking, "is it still for sale" to which I reply, "yes" and then I never hear from them again. 
     :# 
  • Sadly eBay always favours the buyers but it’s rare for the worst to happen, we only ever read about the horror stories not the millions of positive sales.
    just don’t scrimp on the insurance, make sure it’s covered enough to replace if lost/damaged. Some carriers will have a cap for certain things like musical instruments.

Good luck with the sale
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • steveledzepsteveledzep Frets: 1175
    edited January 2019
    Sadly eBay always favours the buyers but it’s rare for the worst to happen, we only ever read about the horror stories not the millions of positive sales.
    ^^^^ This.  Just be careful.
  • deloreandelorean Frets: 224
    Sassafras said:
    delorean said:
    Anyone wanna buy a guitar? 

(It's not shit I promise)
    Not now I know you're a bloody rapist!
    The reports of my rapiness are greatly exaggerated :lol: 
  • AdeyAdey Frets: 2274

just don’t scrimp on the insurance, make sure it’s covered enough to replace if lost/damaged. Some carriers will have a cap for certain things like musical instruments.

I've posted lots of guitars over the last few years and not had any problems with damage.

I haven't insured any though, as when you actually read the small print (on Parcel 2 Go website), they will happily insure musical instruments, but the value of them is capped to a really low value - about £100 i think, so not really worth while.

If it's lost, it's not difficult to prove it was in their care and they are responsible, even if they try to exclude it in their Ts&Cs
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6082
    Transglobal Express will insure musical instruments but I've not made a claim so can't say how bulletproof it is. I figure it's better to invest in an extra shipping box and some more packing rather than trust to an insurance company.
  • AdeyAdey Frets: 2274
    edited January 2019
    I must admit, I've wondered why the postal company asks me to insure my package.

After all, it's not me who is going to drop it or drive a 40t artic over it. As long as I have taken reasonable steps to package it well enough to withstand reasonable handling that is all I reasonably have to do. If they think they will damage it when it's in their care, then they are free to insure it themselves...

If it gets damaged, I just have to take them to the small claims court, which has been a bit of sport from time to time with various companies.
  • jpfampsjpfamps Frets: 2734
    Obviously not want to trivialize rape, but it seems to me that selling guitars on eBay and offering to deliver them would be a very inefficient method of finding victims.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mikeyrob73mikeyrob73 Frets: 4671
    jpfamps said:
    Obviously not want to trivialize rape, but it seems to me that selling guitars on eBay and offering to deliver them would be a very inefficient method of finding victims.
    Only if the rapist likes middle aged GAS victims. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom