Just Sold a Guitar on Ebay ...

What's Hot

Comments

• Th4fonzTh4fonz Frets: 246
    i think your worrying to much.  you should have advertised as local collection only if your worrying about sending it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Personally after some bad experiences i only every do cash on collection. I've been contacted by 2 people this morning already on gumtree about something im selling. They both sounded off, Wanted to arrange via courier as they couldn't get to mine as they are both unable to drive and both wanted to pay by paypal. They could be legit but from experience don't use paypal if you're the seller. I felt uneasy so im sticking by my cash on collection. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • chris78chris78 Frets: 9320
    Honestly, I won’t post another guitar on eBay. Cash on collection, even if it means it get less. It’s a crap shoot
  • EpsilonEpsilon Frets: 620
    Yes I often see an awful lot of largely unjustified overcautiousness about this sort of thing. I've probably shipped 50 or 60 guitars in the last five years and never had a problem. Just package it well, send it via a tracked courier, ensure you have lots of photos of it get it insured for the full value (shouldn't be much for a £300 guitar) and the most likely outcome by far is that everything goes smoothly.

To be honest if someone wants to scam you on ebay there's not much you can do about it. If your risk appetite isn't willing to accept some (admittedly remote) possibility of this happening then selling on eBay and offering postage probably isn't for you. As others have mentioned you can always offer to deliver it yourself, but then you have no proof of postage (getting her to sign a piece of paper won't mean anything to the paypal/ebay claims team). As a buyer she might not be thrilled about having to pay cash for it when that's not what she signed up for, which was presumably payment by PayPal and delivery by a tracked courier.

People taking a few days to pay is quite annoying (particularly if you've sold something because you need the cash), but usually just a bit of an inconvenience and nothing sinister.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • deloreandelorean Frets: 224
    Th4fonz said:
    i think your worrying to much.  you should have advertised as local collection only if your worrying about sending it.
    I did.  I never really wanted to post it, but then she contacted and asked nicely if I could get a courier quote etc
  • Th4fonzTh4fonz Frets: 246
    delorean said:
    Th4fonz said:
    I did.  I never really wanted to post it, but then she contacted and asked nicely if I could get a courier quote etc
    AH I see well cancel the sale and relist it again :) 

Dont cause yourself agro if you didnt want to send it in the first place.  I personally wouldnt have a buyer arrange for a courier to collect my item.  I would do it my end or local collection only.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • rossirossi Frets: 1703
    delorean said:
    The thing that worries me is that they only have 2 feedback on Ebay.  Both excellent, but still, it's only 2...

Also, I had it on a buy it now or best offer - and she hasn't tried to make an offer.

She's about 2 hours from me and doesn't want to collect it because she's "terrible at driving".  I offered to meet halfway with it, but she declined for the same reason.  Also, it's a present for her boyfriend so she wants it to turn up unexpectedly.

I've just read so many horror stories that I'm a wee bit worried - maybe unnecessarily so?
    A girl wanted to buy one of my guitars .I specified 100% feedback on at least 10 largish items. but she only had one .She too wanted it for her boyfriend and was a few hours away .,i said I would deliver it and never heard from her again .Careful
    0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Th4fonz said:
    delorean said:
    Th4fonz said:
    AH I see well cancel the sale and relist it again :) 

Dont cause yourself agro if you didnt want to send it in the first place.  I personally wouldn't have a buyer arrange for a courier to collect my item.  I would do it my end or local collection only.
    It's me that's doing the arranging for the courier she just wanted me to get a quote for her.  I was going to send it through my work as we ship guitars every day, but that won't matte at all if she decides to say I sent an empty case.

I just get an odd vibe from her..not necessarily suspect I guess,but this one just doesn't feel right compared to previous transactions on Ebay.

• Lack of Feedback
    • Ebay member since October
    • She messages me with questions, I message back literally with in 1-2 mins and she then takes 24 hours to respond   (every time)
    • Wants me to wait for payment
    • Wouldn't collect because she's "rubbish at driving"
    • Wouldn't meet halfway because she's "rubbish at driving"
    • Hasn't responded to my offer of driving it to her (although I may get a reply in the next 24 hours)

Buying a guitar as a gift for someone also seems a bit odd to me - certainly my other half wouldn't have a clue what exact guitar, spec/colour to get me if she wanted to do that as a surprise (not unless I'd been extremely clear and written it down - and then it wouldn't be a surprise!). 

It's like buying a random perfume for someone without knowing whether they like that smell...Personally I'd never do it, but I guess maybe some folk do?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6083
    delorean said:
    Well, she hasn't paid yet - she's away util Tuesday so has asked if she can wait until then.  I just feel a little bit uneasy about the whole thing.
    I’d cancel the deal and relist. Why should you wait on her convenience, plus the possibility she sees something else, splits with boyfriend etc.
  • @delorean ; Im selling something on gumtree and have had two very similar messages off their this morning alone. Both buyers are buying for someone else, both won't collect (don't drive well) or need a courier and will only use paypal. I may be sceptical but neither felt right so i simply stuck by my cash on collection. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    JezWynd said:
    delorean said:
    Well, she hasn't paid yet - she's away util Tuesday so has asked if she can wait until then.  I just feel a little bit uneasy about the whole thing.
    I’d cancel the deal and relist. Why should you wait on her convenience, plus the possibility she sees something else, splits with boyfriend etc.
    @delorean ; Im selling something on gumtree and have had two very similar messages off their this morning alone. Both buyers are buying for someone else, both won't collect (don't drive well) or need a courier and will only use paypal. I may be sceptical but neither felt right so i simply stuck by my cash on collection. 
    Yeah, I think at the very least I'm going to go back and say I'd rather do cash on collection. 

If she's not cool with that then I'll cancel and relist - thanks for the advice everyone :) :+1: 

• WindmillGuitarsWindmillGuitars Frets: 731
    tFB Trader
    @delorean I've sold loads of guitars on eBay without problem. Take pics of packing process, including a weight of the guitar and send on a signed for service including insurance. 
    www.windmillguitars.com - Official stockist of Yamaha, Maybach, Fano Guitars, Kithara Guitars, Eastman Guitars, Trent Guitars, Orange Amps, Blackstar Amplification & More! (The artist formerly known as Anchorboy)
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30291
    Buyer sounds like a pain in the arse and driving doesn't sound like the only thing she's bad at.
    Do you really want to take a chance on her being kosher?
    I'd cancel and relist.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • King85King85 Frets: 631
    If you think it smells fishy then knock it on the head and relist it for collection or on gumtree or here.

If anything goes wrong you'll be kicking yourself for not trusting your instincts.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8189
    I've just had some cod liver oil.
    By the sounds of it, I think it was possibly less fishy than your 'buyer'.
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    She's gone completely silent since I told her that I won't be posting it but I would be very happy to hand deliver it.

I guess that says it all!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • cancel and relist, ive had the exact same type of buyer, "wanting it for a present for boyfriend"  might be kosher but if you are worried, which i would be too, save yourself stress, relist it and in the description put cash and collect only.
  • DB1DB1 Frets: 5025
    Yes, cancel and relist. If it sounds dodgy to you, and you wanted 'collection only', stick to that. It might be completely straight, but at best it sounds like a pain in the neck, and at worst a scam attempt. 
    Call me Dave.
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7880
    delorean said:
    She's gone completely silent since I told her that I won't be posting it but I would be very happy to hand deliver it.

I guess that says it all!
    Being ‘away’ is likely code for ‘I can’t pay you until payday’. 

Did you offer postage in your listing? If so, you should honour it. 
    Well, all's well that ends well -

Her:

"no delivery I'm not allowed to give our adress out.  please post "   
    (I'm not entirely sure how I'm expected to post it without an address...but hey, who am I to argue!)

Me:
    "Hi, no worries - how about I meet you somewhere convenient to you to deliver the guitar instead?  At least we'll both know it has arrived safely and you'll get to inspect it before parting with any money"

Her:
    "I dont wan to do that you could be a rapist.  just post the guitar and stop fuckign about "

Me:
    "You know what, I think we should probably leave this here.  I wasn't comfortable sending the guitar to you from the outset.  I've tried being accommodating in every possible way, however your last message has convinced me not to pursue this any further.  Thanks for your interest, but no thanks."

Her:
    "shitguitar anyway your a c*nt"

She's bang out of order - It's not a shit guitar :D 
    22reaction image LOL 13reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom