Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Why is Hendrix so revered amongst guitarists?

What's Hot

Comments

• vizviz Frets: 10719
    Jimi Hendrix.
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16299
    His middle name was Marshall FFS!
    :ar!

How much more rock can you get?
    \m/

Yours

Eric Behringer Weary
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JAYJOJAYJO Frets: 1531

His middle name was Marshall FFS!

How much more rock can you get?
    \m/

Yours

Eric Behringer Weary
    Well there was this one time i went to Blackpool and I found a shop called the rockstars rock! so i went in and bought a bar of Jimmy Hendrix Rock!!. I opened it imediately and right there in the centre    it said..............Blackpool Rock!  :D
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    What I find slightly confusing at this point ( well, most things really - what happens to my missing socks, why is my stomach getting bigger, why don't bin men whistle anymore,etc) is that @koneguitarist has pretty much answered his own question, at least with the same answer that I came up with.

Hendrix was to a large extent a magpie - bits of his act from Little Richard, Guitar Slim, Buddy Guy, T Bone Walker; bits of his playing and writing from Albert King, Chuck Berry, Muddy Waters, Bob Dylan, The Beatles, early psychedelia. He wasn't the fastest or the most consistent guitarist.He wasn't the first to use Marshalls or wah or fuzz boxes. Whilst he had some innovative approaches to recording those had been usurped by the Beach Boys and many others no doubt. Indeed, none of this seems to have been denied by him at the time.

BUT what he did do was put all this together; he was the complete package. Everyone who did what he did earlier or better still didn't do all the other things he did. His short solo career also creates a microcosm ( not sure I've ever used that word in a sentence before so here goes...), a compact period in which all of this happened (his musical career up to that point having been the training ground). His death means we have an end to this short period of intense activity, had he lived his legacy as it stands now could have only been diluted; it is part of his legend - young for ever with James Dean and Marilyn Monroe and Kurt Cobain and Richard Beckinsale.  

Debating who had the greatest influence - Marvin, Hendrix, Clapton, Burt Weedon - is a hiding to nothing. It will always ignore strands of music that evolved seperately. However, for me influence is not just about how many people go back to the source ( although I suspect many teenagers picking up the guitar now do learn Hendrix riffs - they are Rock Guitar 101 now)but how that influence comes down through the generations. So anyone picking up a guitar now because they love RHCP, Van Halen, Metallica and some contemporary people who I haven't got the foggiest about will have that indirect Hendrix influence. 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11967

I think I understand now

Some people can't enjoy an artist's work unless they are convinced that the artist is the "best" at something, so once the favourites are selected, it becomes an article of faith that the artist is "like no other", and in some cases "the chosen one", without whom music would have been entirely different

Most of the Pro-Hendrix comments here haven't been "I love his stuff, it has always been the most important to me", which is the measure I use for identifying my favourites (well, even then I don't insist on liking everything an artist has done)

Instead, it's been "No-one else was doing stuff like he was, he was the prophet without whom others would have waited, scratching their heads, with no possibility of developing their own styles ". The evidence presented has been that some old Jazz stars started using electric instruments more, and that other guitar heroes (some who were stars years before Hendrix emerged) have named him as an influence in an interview, did Hendrix never name any of them in the same way?"

Hats off to someone who does something different, but there are dozens who qualify for that honour. However, I don't care if an artist sounds just like 500 other players, if he writes or plays good quality songs and uses his skill in a way that suits the music, whilst taking care to play accurately. On that last point, some people are happy listening to sloppy playing, mistakes and out of tune guitars, since "it's more rock and roll". Well it's torture to me, it distracts from enjoying the art being expressed. Who would argue that a Booker-prize winning novel would not be diminished if there were 5 spelling mistakes and 2 grammatical errors per page. It would break the concentration of the reader, and this is what I experience when I hear out of tune, sloppy playing. Since over 90% of Hendrix's live output is sloppy or out of tune, I can't bear to listen. I really like a few of his studio tracks though.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    /\ You're not Brian Sewell in disguise are you?

Go on then, list these paragons of impeccable technical virtuosity that don't offend your delicate ears.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601

I think I understand now

Some people can't enjoy an artist's work unless they are convinced that the artist is the "best" at something, so once the favourites are selected, it becomes an article of faith that the artist is "like no other", and in some cases "the chosen one", without whom music would have been entirely different

I don't buy that and I really don't see much of that on this forum. I was around when Hendrix came on the scene and he seemed like a guy from another planet. The complaints seem to be more about technique and influence which to me is a pointless exercise. Bum notes and sloppy playing don't bother me - I saw Led Zep in their prime a few times and Page has always been sloppy - it doesn't detract from the atmosphere and the experience of a live gig. I also thought that listening to a live album defeats the purpose - it's always going to be 'sloppy' unless you like total perfection in which case why not say home and listen to a studio album.

I'm more interested in the music and I really can't stand discussions that focus purely on technique and daft conversations about who is best. Music's not a sport. Steve Vai is a technically gifted guitarist who replaced Adrian Vandenberg in Whitesnake - he was appalling. Bernie Marsden would have pissed all over him - horses for courses. Vai was just the wrong guy for what was a essentially a heavy blues rock band.

I haven't listened to Hendrix for years as my tastes have changed. As I type this I'm listening to a guy called Eivend Aarset on my iPod who is Norwegian - very experimental and not to everyone's taste but he revolutionised guitar playing in his own way. My tastes these days are left field - 99% of rock music leaves me cold.

The fact is many guitarists say they were influenced by Hendrix. Who gives a shit if there were 'better' players around whatever that might mean ... if anything it disproves your comment as you don't think he's very good.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • streethawkstreethawk Frets: 1631

I think I understand now

Most of the Pro-Hendrix comments here haven't been "I love his stuff, it has always been the most important to me", which is the measure I use for identifying my favourites (well, even then I don't insist on liking everything an artist has done)

Instead, it's been "No-one else was doing stuff like he was, he was the prophet without whom others would have waited, scratching their heads, with no possibility of developing their own styles ". The evidence presented has been that some old Jazz stars started using electric instruments more, and that other guitar heroes (some who were stars years before Hendrix emerged) have named him as an influence in an interview, did Hendrix never name any of them in the same way?"

----------------------------------------------------

@ToneControl Some people can recognise Hendrix's qualities and influence despite not even particularly liking his records. That's a mature stance.

Also, your literature analogy speaks volumes (pardon the pun). You don't appreciate Rock music in quite the same way most of us do. 

A live gig is not a piano recital.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • randomhandclapsrandomhandclaps Frets: 20521
    edited April 2014

Tonecontrol I think you've hit the nail on the head.  All of those people in this thread who have said they understand Hendrix's reverence have failed to take an objective view.  Every comment is solely based on their personal opinion which is clearly misguided by an idol worship.  Vai, Van Halen, Frusciante, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Prince, Frank Zappa, Richie Blackmore, Joe Satriani, Duane Allman, Yngwie, Pete Townshend,  Eric Clapton, Jeff Beck,  Brian May,  Tom Morello, Dave Murray Marcus Miller, George Clinton and Miles Davis - all those guys who have gone one record describing Hendrix as a phenomenon are indeed utterly clueless hero worshippers.

Meanwhile this thread benefits from the fact that there are at least a couple of open minded musical illuminati who can see through all of that crap.  You guys are f'ing geniuses and we salute you.  I envy the time you guys must save.  In my work I spend so much time listening to music thinking "What do I like about this and what do I not.".  It would be a fantastic tool to be able to interpret art with such clear scientific parameters on what makes something good or bad.  For me the time it would save would be staggering.

Funniest self-congratulatory post of the year.

My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11967

Tonecontrol I think you've hit the nail on the head.  All of those people in this thread who have said they understand Hendrix's reverence have failed to take an objective view.  Every comment is solely based on their personal opinion which is clearly misguided by an idol worship.  Vai, Van Halen, Frusciante, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Prince, Frank Zappa, Richie Blackmore, Joe Satriani, Duane Allman, Yngwie, Pete Townshend,  Eric Clapton, Jeff Beck,  Brian May,  Tom Morello, Dave Murray Marcus Miller, George Clinton and Miles Davis - all those guys who have gone one record describing Hendrix as a phenomenon are indeed utterly clueless hero worshippers.

Meanwhile this thread benefits from the fact that there are at least a couple of open minded musical illuminati who can see through all of that crap.  You guys are f'ing geniuses and we salute you.

Funniest self-congratulatory post of the year.

personal insults?
  • ElxElx Frets: 412
    @Fretwired, Vai did not replace Vandenberg, he picked up an injury while practicing piano and Vai was brought in to record the guitar parts written by Vandenberg. He recovered for the world tour and played together with Vai.I think it's a bit too much saying the guy was "appalling". David Coverdale certainly didn't think he was appalling and to this day they have a great relationship and David insists on working with him again. Actually, Coverdale appears as guest on Vandenberg's new project, Moonkings. Also, try and find "Starkers in Tokyo", I am sure you would change your opinion after hearing him play acoustic...

• streethawkstreethawk Frets: 1631
    edited April 2014
    I think this explains a lot.

"I don't practice, I jam, I'm constantly trying to create - which is why I make a lot of mistakes".

Isn't that tension what makes a great rock guitarist different from, say, a great jazz guitarist who plays within the confines of his learning?

You guys are killing me, I promised myself I would never engage in debates like this, and I am finding it very difficult to keep my promise ;)
  • vizviz Frets: 10719
    I LOVE slip of the tongue - I think it's some of Vai's cheekiest playing. Agree it wasn't a proper whitesnake record if you look at what came before and after, but david, rudy and the lads seemed to like it.
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    @Tone Control

Just how many Miles Davis albums have you heard?

Play Bitches Brew. Play Jack Johnson. Play Live Evil. Play Big Fun. Play Get up With It. Play Pangea. Play Agharta.

It'd be easier to tell me where you can't hear the Hendrix influence on the general vibe, rhythms, the instrumentation and crucially the choice of personnel.

I've left off On the Corner cause that was more of a James Brown/ Sly Stone feel.

Get up with it was more of a mix of everything with some Stockhausen ideas added.
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    edited April 2014
    That bloke looks NOTHING like John Frusciante!

.. and these types of thread always end up in a 'my dad's bigger than your dad' style bitchfest!
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3825
    I think this explains a lot.

"I don't practice, I jam, I'm constantly trying to create - which is why I make a lot of mistakes".

Isn't that tension what makes a great rock guitarist different from, say, a great jazz guitarist who plays within the confines of his learning?

Excellent!

Vai, Van Halen, Frusciante, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Prince, Frank Zappa, Richie Blackmore, Joe Satriani, Duane Allman, Yngwie, Pete Townshend,  Eric Clapton, Jeff Beck,  Brian May,  Tom Morello, Dave Murray Marcus Miller, George Clinton and Miles Davis -

- we didn't start the fire it was always burning since...

[I might go to Costa now, I clearly need more caffeine]
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Elx said:
    @Fretwired, Vai did not replace Vandenberg, he picked up an injury while practicing piano and Vai was brought in to record the guitar parts written by Vandenberg. He recovered for the world tour and played together with Vai.I think it's a bit too much saying the guy was "appalling". David Coverdale certainly didn't think he was appalling and to this day they have a great relationship and David insists on working with him again. Actually, Coverdale appears as guest on Vandenberg's new project, Moonkings. Also, try and find "Starkers in Tokyo", I am sure you would change your opinion after hearing him play acoustic...

I know .. I was at Donnington .. I like Vandenberg .. I have a decent solo album by him somewhere. Vai's a great guitar player but was just wrong live for Whitesnake .. you do realise I was on about Vai and not Vandenberg?

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    Fretwired said:
    Elx said:

I know .. I was at Donnington .. I like Vandenberg .. I have a decent solo album by him somewhere. Vai's a great guitar player but was just wrong live for Whitesnake .. you do realise I was on about Vai and not Vandenberg?
    No, I didn't, I thought you meant Vandenberg ;) in that case ok, my bad :)