Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Why is Hendrix so revered amongst guitarists?

What's Hot

Comments

• AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616

You are all making excuses for shit sloppy guitar playing, stuff that if you seen down your local pub, you would walk out. I know I would.
    I do like rock music, but I also like it played well, everyone else can do it, so why is Hendrix excused ?

Can you Play Better than Hendrix?

If so, please get your video camera out and show the world.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745
    Bidley said:
    Sambostar said:
     You are no better than a metalhead shredder!

I regret this already, but what is exactly is wrong with being a "metalhead shredder"?

Nuffink.  I kind of meant that judging everything as a bottom line on technique or speed over tone, ambience and mood and rhythm is very, very wrong.  But nothing wrong with being a metalhead shredder I guess.  What is one anyway?  Michael Anglio batio?

Backdoor Children Of The Sock
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745
    edited April 2014
    Note the can of red bull in the right hand foreground!  He is actually reading music at the same time.  What an expert!
    Backdoor Children Of The Sock
  • ThePrettyDamnedThePrettyDamned Frets: 7484
    edited April 2014
    Sambostar said:
    Seriously you are arguing along the lines of a teenager debating whether slash or buckethead is better...because buckethjead is more technical, has a better technique and Faster!  You are no better than a metalhead shredder!
    The answer is buckethead, not for technicality, but because he wears a KFC bucket on his head, not a top hat. Oh, and he writes brilliant sleazy riffs through to epic ballads through to jazz to noisey shite to pure shred. But then again, if I could be either, I'd choose to be slash.
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Bidley said:
    Sambostar said:
     You are no better than a metalhead shredder!

I regret this already, but what is exactly is wrong with being a "metalhead shredder"?
    Nothing .. it requires a certain amount of technique, precision and timing that our friend in the video, and most of the bedroom wannabes on YouTube, don't have. They should be charged with bringing shredding into disrepute .. :-)

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Dear KoneyIslandBanjoPlayer,

I do not like the cut of your jib, sir.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Drew_fx said:
    Dear KoneyIslandBanjoPlayer,

I do not like the cut of your jib, sir.

Ta! ;)
  • Alnico said:

You are all making excuses for shit sloppy guitar playing, stuff that if you seen down your local pub, you would walk out. I know I would.
    I do like rock music, but I also like it played well, everyone else can do it, so why is Hendrix excused ?

Can you Play Better than Hendrix?

If so, please get your video camera out and show the world.

Happily prove to you that I am not as good as Hendrix, just look at my band videos, if you can tell who my influences are well done! I don't know !
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Actually I am playing a Marshall, my playing is sloppy and I make mistakes. Some parallels there then ! ;)
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Actually I am playing a Marshall, my playing is sloppy and I make mistakes. Some parallels there then ! ;)
    How do you live with yourself ....

And I know you like to stick to hard facts - your actually playing a guitar through a Marshall .. :-)

Looks like you have a decent band there Kone .... your playing fits the song nicely .. you could look like your enjoying yourself .. try :-)

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • ElxElx Frets: 412
    edited April 2014
    Sambostar said:
    Erm....I thought music was about people relating to it and liking it? Saying that Jimmy Bryant and Speedy West were better than Jimi with their 2 dimensional on off technique is like saying that this guy IS THE BEST GUITARIST IN THE WORLD...How stupid
    :) 
     tried to edit and say something more, but i don't know what...
  • Fretwired said:
    Actually I am playing a Marshall, my playing is sloppy and I make mistakes. Some parallels there then ! ;)

And I know you like to stick to hard facts - your actually playing a guitar through a Marshall .. :-)

Looks like you have a decent band there Kone .... your playing fits the song nicely .. you could look like your enjoying yourself .. try :-)

That's my happy face! Wanna see me when I'm miserable!
    Thanks anyway.
    ;)
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    Fretwired said:

I agree @Fretwired,

The playing fits the song nicely and has just the right feel for the music it's accompanying. I wouldn't ever be so disrespectful as to say it's SHIT or SLOPPY. You can obviously play and I would say (In my very humble opinion) you can play your style of music well with the right feeling and phrasing and a very nice tone.

Thanks for posting that video.

• HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22138
    The goal posts keep getting moved due to lack of any arguments to explain what's so special about him.
     The original question still stands. 
    Someone said he was far ahead of his time, my YouTube videos proved that others were playing even more advanced 10years earlier.
    Yes he played Marshalls loud, so did Cream, yes he used feedback so did cream, yes he played well, so did a whole host of other guitarists, who were technically and musically far superior.

So after all the evidence that has been shown to me so far, the main thing that we can all agree on is he was very exciting to watch!

There's one simple answer. Hendrix rocked: Cream were boring. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • randomhandclapsrandomhandclaps Frets: 20521
    edited April 2014
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.

• =)) That did put a smile on my face. 
     Which is just as well, a guitarist mate of mine has his funeral today. So hopefully it will not be a real depressing one. He was ex navy so there will be a load of us with bad taste jokes etc and possibly a jam afterwards.
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11903

@ToneControl

I'm just saying that you have a jazz listener's sensibility. There's nothing wrong with that but I do believe that the majority of guitarists on here are coming from a different place, musically speaking - so there's no point trying to deconstruct their perfectly valid opinions. 

I'm not implying that you are immature, rather that they are not immature. 

No problem, just explaining what stops me enjoying some music sometimes
    Alright Rain Man, keep your hair on. 
    not a very classy response
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31592
    Is it time to move this thread to OT?
    It's not exactly representative to any newbie scanning the forum...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • streethawkstreethawk Frets: 1631

@ToneControl

I'm just saying that you have a jazz listener's sensibility. There's nothing wrong with that but I do believe that the majority of guitarists on here are coming from a different place, musically speaking - so there's no point trying to deconstruct their perfectly valid opinions. 

I'm not implying that you are immature, rather that they are not immature. 

No problem, just explaining what stops me enjoying some music sometimes
    Alright Rain Man, keep your hair on. 
    not a very classy response
    no malice intended palomino.  :)
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Made me chuckle.