Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Why is Hendrix so revered amongst guitarists?

What's Hot

Comments

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    edited April 2014
    Fretwired said:
    Thought that bit about fact would get everyone !
    Name the qualities a guitarist has to have to be considered great?
    Great guitarists who could play rings around Hendrix were around long before him, were they better in my view far superior, even though some of them I don't like. I don't dislike Hendrix, just think he's overrated due to the vast amount of poor quality footage of him playing live where he is at times atrocious. Some of it was down to drugs, some of it wasn't it was the way he played. So this beggars the question if he could not do it live, then it was just a guitarist editing all the bad bits out in the studio to make it sound good. The way we all do right? The footage I put up of Jimmy Bryant and Speedy West was live more than 10years earlier and they were joking about as they played more complex material. The biggest problem I have is that most that have seen Hendrix in real life were as stoned as he was, and didn't notice how out of tune he was. And now everyone accepts Hendrix as the greatest because enough people have said he was. Now with the hindsight of the internet and YouTube, we can see how good he was with his contemporaries at the time and without Rose tinted glasses. Can you imagine if Jimmy Bryant had turned up with a Fuzzbox in London during Mid 60's, Hendrix would have been nothing , well apart from setting fire to his guitar ! Which after some of the noise he made with it, in hindsight does not seem such a bad idea in retrospect? ;)
    I have to say that in all my years reading posts on various guitar forums that's the biggest load of twaddle I've ever read. Big on assumptions and as usual low on facts and missing the point by a country mile.

What facts would you like backed up and what are the assumptions ?
    Are you for real ....

You said:

The biggest problem I have is that most that have seen Hendrix in real life were as stoned as he was, and didn't notice how out of tune he was

Prove it.

You said:

Can you imagine if Jimmy Bryant had turned up with a Fuzzbox in London during Mid 60's, Hendrix would have been nothing

Prove it. Just assumptions.

You also said:

The footage I put up of Jimmy Bryant and Speedy West was live more than 10years earlier and they were joking about as they played more complex material.

The material might be more complex and the technique perfect but frankly the music was a pile of shit. I rather poke my eyes out than listen to that ... Albert Lee it wasn't. Your argument misses the point .. live rock music is loud and visceral .. I can see you at a concert making notes about every bum note and out of tune bend so you could demand a refund.

And finally, nobody has said Hendrix was the greatest .. a hell of a lot of good guitar players have said he influenced them which is a totally different thing.

You seem to have moved into troll mode.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2928
    Great guitarists who could play rings around Hendrix were around long before him, were they better in my view far superior, even though some of them I don't like. I don't dislike Hendrix, just think he's overrated due to the vast amount of poor quality footage of him playing live where he is at times atrocious. Some of it was down to drugs, some of it wasn't it was the way he played. So this beggars the question if he could not do it live, then it was just a guitarist editing all the bad bits out in the studio to make it sound good. The way we all do right? The footage I put up of Jimmy Bryant and Speedy West was live more than 10years earlier and they were joking about as they played more complex material. The biggest problem I have is that most that have seen Hendrix in real life were as stoned as he was, and didn't notice how out of tune he was. And now everyone accepts Hendrix as the greatest because enough people have said he was. Now with the hindsight of the internet and YouTube, we can see how good he was with his contemporaries at the time and without Rose tinted glasses. Can you imagine if Jimmy Bryant had turned up with a Fuzzbox in London during Mid 60's, Hendrix would have been nothing , well apart from setting fire to his guitar ! Which after some of the noise he made with it, in hindsight does not seem such a bad idea in retrospect? ;)

You've essentially given up the point of your original question and just gone full troll mode.

The point is, just because you don't like Hendrix or don't rate him, doesn't mean he's not as influential and important as he is/was. I don't particularly like Hendrix, I mean, I listen to the obvious songs from time to time but he's far from the first thing I choose to listen to, and always has been. And yet despite this, I can appreciaate the massive influence he's had on modern music. More so than whoever it was that came before him and did whatever better. He was the one who made people sit up and take note, that is fact.

But this is a waste of time. You've been dismissive, despite appearing genuine at first, and have moved the goalposts so many times this thread is a massive joke. Even you admit that by saying you're essentially on the wind-up.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    Jimmy Bryant might have been a decent technical player but his music illustrates why the 60s were the way they were. It was a reaction to all that plinky plonky nicey nicey shite.

Really I think if he'd turned up in London with a fuzzbox in the 60s even the most zonked out hippy would have got nasty and told him to fuck off back to his farm.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339

Thats like a Kim Jong Il level of ignorance right there
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Look at the time of events boys, first off people are saying yes people play better now but Hendrix was first blah blah blah. Now you are saying someone who was before Hendrix who no one can deny was a fantastic guitarist for his time, is no good because it's old plinky plonky. 
    Does anyone deny that Hendrix was a shit guitarist live, or does loud equal quality musicianship. 
    I have still not seen any evidence of real quality work from Hendrix, I know there is some out there but no one has shown any. 
    For what it's worth the reason I like Albert Lee is that he was always on the edge of his ability and would make mistakes as he was pushing it, yet he still didn't sound so sloppy and out of tune as Hendrix.
    You are all making excuses for shit sloppy guitar playing, stuff that if you seen down your local pub, you would walk out. I know I would.
    I do like rock music, but I also like it played well, everyone else can do it, so why is Hendrix excused ?

Fretwired, I see your point about me making an assumption regarding what I think is better and you label me a troll, yet you complain about a video that you think is shit because it's not to your taste, so your view about guitar playing is all about if YOU like it it's good, if not you can say its a pile of shit. 
    Ok good argument ?
    :-?

Skarloey
    You say Bryant may have been a decent technical player, he was aknowleged as one of the best of his generation, which is of a totally different time frame to Hendrix, things were already happening and changing, as proven by Beck Clapton and co, that was to prove a point people could play very well to a higher standard as proven by the video years before Hendrix.
    Who knows what Bryant may have been playing like with advances in amps and effects.
    He hardly played much as he was a songwriter and run a recording studio, no doubt he influenced the cream of country guitarists such as Albert Lee and Brad Paisley.

I hate Jazz and prog rock but can understand and appreciate how good the players are, even if it bores me to tears. Point is I am not gonna say Joe Pass is shit because I don't like him, or Steve Howe because I think he's boring. No doubt in my mind how talented those guys are.
    I have already stated a few times that I think Hendrix did some good stuff, very good but it's in the minority of his work from what I can see and what his fans on here have tried to show!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  •  

http://img.pandawhale.com/86790-what-the-fuck-is-that-gif-Imgu-Cn5F.gif

HAHAHAHA.  Can we cut the subtlety please as sometimes I find it hard to distinguish between a flat out troll and blind dumbass stupidity.

At least one thing we can all agree on is the unquestionably huge influence that Jimmy Bryant and Speedy West are cited as of modern guitar playing.   :^o

My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • randomhandclapsrandomhandclaps Frets: 20521
    edited April 2014
    so your view about guitar playing is all about if YOU like it it's good, if not you can say its a pile of shit. 

Oh irony, sweet irony I love you. 

http://sandiegofreepress.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/ron-burgundy.jpeg

Fretwired, I see your point about me making an assumption regarding what I think is better and you label me a troll, yet you complain about a video that you think is shit because it's not to your taste, so your view about guitar playing is all about if YOU like it it's good, if not you can say its a pile of shit. 
    Ok good argument ?
    :-?

Yep that's right. I'm not moaning about the players or their technique and if people say they are hugely influential then who am I to argue. I didn't like the music and that's OK .. it's my opinion and my taste. I like jazz but many of my friends can't stand it. That's OK as well. It's personal taste.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2359
    Elx said:
    Dave_Mc said:
    Elx said:
    @Fretwired, Vai did not replace Vandenberg, he picked up an injury while practicing piano
    Hang on a minute, screw the Hendrix debate, how do you pick up an injury while practising the piano? That's much more important. I occasionally play piano too and want to avoid it. He wasn't playing roadrunner covers or something, was he?
    In preparing to enter the studio for the recording sessions, he injured his wrist performing isometric piano warm up exercises and was unfortunately unable to contribute lead guitar work to the album Slip of the Tongue.

LOL at the vids :))
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24807
    I'm reminded of Vic and Bob: "You wouldn't let it lie...."
  • SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745
    Radio 1 Sessions were done live in one take.  Listen to that.  The problem is that the footage doesn't exist.  There is hardly enough live recordings let alone video.  Kind of like Ratt back in the '80's.
    Backdoor Children Of The Sock
    Erm....I thought music was about people relating to it and liking it? Saying that Jimmy Bryant and Speedy West were better than Jimi with their 2 dimensional on off technique is like saying that this guy IS THE BEST GUITARIST IN THE WORLD...How stupid
    Seriously you are arguing along the lines of a teenager debating whether slash or buckethead is better...because buckethjead is more technical, has a better technique and Faster!  You are no better than a metalhead shredder!
  • xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    edited April 2014
    Look, bottom line is you asked a question at the outset which a lot of people took at face value as a genuine one. You asked why some people revere and respect Hendrix, and people offered their opinions in good faith. 

Since then you've rejected a lot of what people have said and often poured scorn on them. 

You really either are a troll or are completely unable to grasp why people like music that you don't.  I can accept the fact that you think most of Hendrix is shit. What's totally beyond my comprehension is why you can't accept other people's reasons for liking the music. 

Live and let live. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    Sambostar said:
    Erm....I thought music was about people relating to it and liking it? Saying that Jimmy Bryant and Speedy West were better than Jimi with their 2 dimensional on off technique is like saying that this guy IS THE BEST GUITARIST IN THE WORLD...How stupid
    what on earth prompted this bloke to put it up on youtube? if I was the perpetrator I'd be thoroughly ashamed of it. unless his tutor put it up as an example of what not to do ...
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2928
    Sambostar said:
     You are no better than a metalhead shredder!

I regret this already, but what is exactly is wrong with being a "metalhead shredder"?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • vizviz Frets: 10699
    Hear hear!! If you still can!
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • vizviz Frets: 10699
    Sambostar said:
    what on earth prompted this bloke to put it up on youtube? if I was the perpetrator I'd be thoroughly ashamed of it. unless his tutor put it up as an example of what not to do ...

his fingers look a little bit .... oh I don't know how to describe them.
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • Bacon-like?
    Sambostar said:
    Nice tits .... ;-)