Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Why is Hendrix so revered amongst guitarists?

What's Hot
1252627282931»

Comments

• koneguitarist;454694" said:
    I am not sure where this I like virtuoso's and not feel players comes from.Place for both as far as I am concerned and that's in Country as well. For Instance Luther Perkins and Brad Paisley total opposite ends of the spectrum. In tune, in time and listening to the band for the end result is a necessity though, which I think everyone should cherish.
    Because you have inferred a greater level of skill is evident among country players than blues players....

I think this is quite simple; country (and its variations) is a 'niche' music. It has vociferous adherents and detractors. For me anything more country than Mary Chapin Carpenter is 'too' country. It is not a music I associate with innovation - it is a music I associate with tradition. That is NOT a criticism btw - the same is true of folk - it is just a musicn that for me sits within fairly clear-cut parameters.

Sonically, blues is much more diverse - the progression between Robert Johnson and Albert King is night and day. For me blues is visceral and hits me on an emotional level that country never does. I can hear the individual in the best blues - in country, it often seems to me that the strictures of how its 'supposed to be' strip it of personality.

I don't own any Hendrix recordings - I don't actually like his music that much - but what I hear is him. It may be blues translated through a million watts, it may be a Bob Dylan song bent out of recognition, it may be rhythm playing that owes more to a soul review that heavy metal - but it is always recognisably Hendrix.

The guy redefined how guitar playing worked. He took the 'electric' element of the electric guitar to a level above and beyond his contemporaries. And I say that as someone who preferred Eric Clapton's playing. But I recognise Jimi took it further.

If this debate were about 'was Elvis or Hank Williams more important?' - the only logical answer based on quoted influence on subsequent musicians would be 'Elvis'.

Hank Marvin has had more influence than Roy Buchanan, Paul Simon has sold massively more records than Nick Drake, Mark Knopfler turned vastly more people on to playing guitar than either J J Cale or Richard Thompson - who were clearly influences.

Sometimes someone lights the flame in a widespread way. Hendrix did that - and guitar playing was never quite the same after he did.....

Yes I believe the skill level is higher in country than blues, to me that's fairly evident, not so heavy metal, Jazz,Flamenco,Classical or even some rock. But I like some blues, I like a lot of rock and other music derived from both.
    I find it strange when people castigate country for being predictable but yet like Blues, which is as predictable as it could get, as they come from the same place essentially.
    Listen to difference between Maybelle Carter and jimmy Bryant, every bit as different, let alone Albert Lee and Merle Travis, your arguments for blues could be just as easily be used for country. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24807
    edited December 2014
    ^ I didn't say Country was predictable - I was saying it lacks individual expression - unlike blues which is 'all' about individual expression.

There are set tones in Country - almost all lead guitarists use a Tele with a clean/edge of break-up amp. Acoustics are pretty much exclusively Martin Dreadnoughts.... There are plenty of great players (including Albert Lee) but I don't hear much personality. Even the way Country players phrase seems uniformly on the beat - it is almost mechanical sounding to me.

It is not a genre with which I have any emotional connection. The cod-Country of Squeeze's 'Labled With Love' I find far more moving than most of the 'real' stuff I've heard - primarily because of the genius story-telling in Chris Difford's lyrics.

You clearly at heart are a Country player - at heart, I'm a blues player. Vive la difference!
  • xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    Did I say c+w? I meant country/ music originating with the white southern US working class and rural class.

Either way, black american music has had a more wide ranging influence when seen in general terms, not just
    guitar or r+r.

• p90foolp90fool Frets: 31592
    koneguitarist;454679" said:
    does the Kentucky Headhunters sound like Colt Ford?
    I haven't the foggiest, and neither do many others I suspect.

As far as wide ranging influence is concerned you've shot yourself in the foot a bit theres tbh.
    :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • p90fool said:
    koneguitarist;454679" said:
    does the Kentucky Headhunters sound like Colt Ford?
    I haven't the foggiest, and neither do many others I suspect.

As far as wide ranging influence is concerned you've shot yourself in the foot a bit theres tbh.
    :)

Point I was making is there are loads of artists I have never heard of in blues, same as you with country, but these guys sell millions of records, but because they are unknown in UK its deemed they are nobodies. 
    Be honest here how many have heard of Tommy Tedesco or Brent Mason, yet they have been on more hit records than virtually anyone, yet hardly household names.
    When we talk about the original question of topic, and to be honest no one has really explained why he is revered, people have said they like him and thought he was great. 
    To me going back and listening to some of his studio stuff I would like to make these points.
    1 He was a great guitarist, when sober and not on drugs.
    2 He only made it after coming to UK as he had a much bigger impact here being Black, than in USA
    3 Lack of real success compared to his contemporaries until after his death, in fact his only big hit was a top twenty cover of a Dylan song. 
    4 The people who raved most about him was other guitarists like Clapton etc, yet it was Clapton who was daubed God on walls by the General public, ie the people who count.

So all in all I am not convinced he was as good as everyone says, or to the legacy he has left behind. 
    To me James Burton, Hank Marvin and Eric Clapton had a bigger effect on guitar music, especially Burton, even if the vast majority of people not musicians would not have a clue who he was. 
    It's easy for us, including myself to look back with benefit of hindsight,to say what's all the fuss about.
    same for people who have seen Elvis videos from 56 after they have seen, Hendrix setting fire to guitars, or Nirvana smashing them up, it can seem tame to them. 
    So I understand when people say you had to have been there to see the impact, but we are looking at this without the excitement and looking at the facts and material left behind, and sorry, but to me it's underwhelming to say the least. 
    I do like Rock and Blues, one of my favourite tracks is Key to Love by Gary Moore, makes me laugh out loud each time I hear it, it's so exciting. I love Flight of the rat by Deep Purple from In Rock, Mystery train by UFO from the No Place to run album, so my opinion is hardly just a country fan.
    The argument regarding Country versus Blues could be next though. 
    Merry Christmas all and thanks for keeping it civil.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom