Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Bad movie casting choices

What's Hot

Comments

• vizviz Frets: 10762
    HAL9000 said:
    Sean Connery as Bond
    George Lazenby as Bond
    Timothy Dalton as Bond
    Roger Moore as Bond
    Pierce Brisbane as Bond
    Yes! Bring back Bob Holness from Blockbusters
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Ewan Mcgregor is awful in the Star Wars prequels. That accent is just terrible.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72954
    viz said:
    VimFuego said:
    Tom Cruise in, well, anything he's ever been in really. 
    Apart from Magnolia where he was utterly brilliant
    And Collateral, where he was utterly brilliant. And Risky Business, where he was utterly brilliant.

I quite like him in Legend as well, but that’s almost a case of miscasting - it works, but only just.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23533
    ICBM said:
    viz said:
    VimFuego said:
    Tom Cruise in, well, anything he's ever been in really. 
    Apart from Magnolia where he was utterly brilliant
    And Collateral, where he was utterly brilliant. And Risky Business, where he was utterly brilliant.

I quite like him in Legend as well, but that’s almost a case of miscasting - it works, but only just.
    I find the whole Scientology thing troubling and difficult to reconcile with his screen persona, but Cruise the actor is charismatic and one of the few proper "movie stars" we have today.  I don't personally like some of his early smuggery in things like Cocktail and Jerry Maguire, but I think he's made very few bad films.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12485
    Sassafras said:
    Ewan McGregor in that awful Angels and Demons film
    To be fair any actor would’ve struggled in that pile of shite. Dan Brown wrote one semi-decent book and has churned out variations on the same tired theme ever since.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30320
    I don't get the dislike for Tom Cruise.
    If you can separate him from his Scientology and his dubious pronouncements and hysterical displays of emotion, he's a very versatile, dedicated and compelling actor.
    I've never seen him and thought "you really suck at this acting lark".
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • Sassafras said:
    If you can separate him from his Scientology and his dubious pronouncements and hysterical displays of emotion, he's a very versatile, dedicated and compelling actor.
    I think part of it is that his films are always "Tom Cruise plays..." you can never forget that it's him. Other actors seem to become the character. 
    For what it's worth I like his films- you know they'll be fun & professionally done. 

Has anyone mentioned Vince Vaughn in the Psycho remake? 
  • stimpsonslostsonstimpsonslostson Frets: 5422
    edited February 2019
    Denise Richards as Dr Christmas Jones- Nuclear Physicist? Not that realism is what we aim for in Bond films. 

Meg Ryan as a helicopter pilot?*.

*Hello to Jason Isaacs. 

• Sassafras said:
    I think part of it is that his films are always "Tom Cruise plays..." you can never forget that it's him. Other actors seem to become the character. 
    For what it's worth I like his films- you know they'll be fun & professionally done. 

Agree re Tom Cruise. I've enjoyed a good number of his films, but couldn't name his character except the MI movies, and that's possibly because there have been so many of them. 

That said, the one with aliens in it where he dies a bazillion times is really good. As is the one with Jamie Fox where he is a hitman. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • Edris Elba in The Dark Tower 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Sassafras said:

Have you seen Cruise in Tropic Thunder?
    Took me ages to realise the obnoxious, shouty, fat balding film producer was him.
    Thought he was hilarious in that, in fact the best bit of a very mediocre film.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Forgot TT! Laughed my ass off at that. Brilliant!

Loved the outsiders too...cheesy, I know. 
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23533
    edited February 2019
    Sassafras said:
    Sassafras said:

Took me ages to realise the obnoxious, shouty, fat balding film producer was him.
    Also, have you seen Rock of Ages?  Tom Cruise is pretty much the last person in the world I'd think of to play a rock star, and in his personal life I'd imagine his musical tastes are more Kenny G than Motley Crue... but somehow he manages to be pretty good.  No, very good.  And he can even sing a bit.

The film itself is utter shite, of course.
  • Philly_Q said:
    Cols said:
    HAL9000 said:
    Sean Connery playing Irish cop in The Untouchables.
    You mean the one for which he received an Academy Award for Best Supporting Actor?

C’mon, try harder.  Sean Connery as an Egyptian immortal?  Sean Connery as a Soviet nuclear submarine captain?  Sean Connery as King Richard?  Sir Sean as an Irish cop is at least plausible.
    Perfect casting - Sean Connery in Zardoz.  Who better to say a word like "Zardoz"?

Sean Connery in Zardoz 1974
    Speechless, lost for words. An image that will haunt me for a long, long time.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11504
    Philly_Q said:
    Sassafras said:
    Sassafras said:

Also, have you seen Rock of Ages?  Tom Cruise is pretty much the last person in the world I'd think of to play a rock star, and in his personal life I'd imagine his musical tastes are more Kenny G than Motley Crue... but somehow he manages to be pretty good.  No, very good.  And he can even sing a bit.

The film itself is utter shite, of course.
    I got given a DVD of it.  It was so bad I never watched it far enough for Tom Cruise to appear.
    Zoolooter said:
    Philly_Q said:
    Cols said:
    HAL9000 said:
    You mean the one for which he received an Academy Award for Best Supporting Actor?

C’mon, try harder.  Sean Connery as an Egyptian immortal?  Sean Connery as a Soviet nuclear submarine captain?  Sean Connery as King Richard?  Sir Sean as an Irish cop is at least plausible.
    Perfect casting - Sean Connery in Zardoz.  Who better to say a word like "Zardoz"?

Speechless, lost for words. An image that will haunt me for a long, long time.

Yeah, that Webley service revolver is completely wrong for the scene.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72954
    It's actually a brilliant film, if you can get past the appearance of Sir Sean...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Philly_Q said:
    Cols said:
    HAL9000 said:

I thought this was fake so I googled it and now I’m afraid to be alone. 
    'Vot eva happened to the Transylvanian Tvist?'
  • martinwmartinw Frets: 2149
    tFB Trader
    Tom Cruise is perfect in "A Few Good Men".
  • Philly_Q said:
    Cols said:
    HAL9000 said:

I thought this was fake so I googled it and now I’m afraid to be alone. 
    Still, it's a refeshing take away that back then you could be a film star and not need ripped abs.