Rob Chapman working with Thomann now?

What's Hot

Comments

• BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24580
    Sassafras said:

Sassafras said:
    Maybe we should have a rule forbidding Andertons videos altogether to prevent the appalling backlash they provoke. 
    Or, y'know, folk could decide that they don't need to rush to declare their hatred for somebody they've never met every time his name's even hinted at.

That might work too ;)
    Calling it hatred is a bit of a stretch.
    I see it more as good natured gentle mockery.
    I certainly don't hate anyone.
    It's lighthearted and some people are taking it all way too seriously.
    The ones that take it really seriously are the ones who email us with takedown legal threats..
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Handsome_ChrisHandsome_Chris Frets: 4779
    edited February 2019
    Sassafras said:

lonestar said:
    Sassafras said:
    Maybe we should have a rule forbidding Andertons videos altogether to prevent the appalling backlash they provoke. 
    Ban videos from a retailer being posted here because a few folk can’t keep their monotonous opinions to themselves? 

Absolutely.
    I'd go even further and ban all retailer videos because of the violent reactions they trigger.
    Why not ban everything just to be safe?  There is bound to be something about anything that triggers a reaction in someone.  Alternatively you could just be an adult about it instead.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    Dorje are great live
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • SNAKEBITESNAKEBITE Frets: 1075
    I really don't mind him at all, but sorry, that picture in the first post looks like he's nuts deep in something he shouldn't be.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537

This forum has some weird standards at times: "we're" allowed to say that we'd like to "smash the back doors in" on a young female "star", that seems fine, but any criticism of Chappers is outraged.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 13reaction image Wisdom
  • dindude said:

This forum has some weird standards at times: "we're" allowed to say that we'd like to "smash the back doors in" on a young female "star", that seems fine, but any criticism of Chappers is outraged.

‘Weird weird, fish with a beard’
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • wesker123wesker123 Frets: 496
    About time he got a real job and became miserable like *me/you lot. F**king bloke.
    *delete as applicable 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • OctafishOctafish Frets: 1937
    Sassafras said:

lonestar said:
    Sassafras said:
    Ban videos from a retailer being posted here because a few folk can’t keep their monotonous opinions to themselves? 

Absolutely.
    I'd go even further and ban all retailer videos because of the violent reactions they trigger.
    Why not ban everything just to be safe?  There is bound to be something about anything that triggers a reaction in someone.  Alternatively you could just be an adult about it instead.

I may be out on a limb here, but there could be just a tiny bit of tongue in cheek in Sassafras' post.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7874
    I can feel a lockdown coming....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7770
    Octafish said:
    Sassafras said:

lonestar said:
    Sassafras said:

Absolutely.

I may be out on a limb here, but there could be just a tiny bit of tongue in cheek in Sassafras' post.
    Nah, breaking the asshole rule, strike two
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24315
    I don't get this anti-Chappers thing at all.  What exactly is it about him that everyone seems to dislike ?  From an outsider's view (i.e. I don't really know much about the guy other than he obviously works for Andertons and features in a lot of their videos), he's a good player with a touch of the aspergers about him - the 'eager puppy / cheesy jokes / ADHD' thing.

Surely there must be more to it than that to warrant making him the perennial butt of abuse here ?

Don't tell me a bunch of musicians are hating on someone for being.... <dramatic chords>.....  DIFFERENT !!!!!!!!!  ARRGGGHHHHH!!!!
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • @Emp_Fab , that and the fact he's making money out of doing something he clearly enjoys.
  • prlgmnrprlgmnr Frets: 3990
    Emp_Fab said:

Don't tell me a bunch of musicians are hating on someone for being.... <dramatic chords>.....  DIFFERENT !!!!!!!!!  ARRGGGHHHHH!!!!
    Nah it's completely the opposite, half the people think "he's just a dickhead like me pissing about on camera, what a knob", and half the people think "he's just like me" and take any criticism of him intensely personally.

And then the other half of the people want to show how much they don't care by repeatedly finding threads about him in which to say they don't care about him either way.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17611
    tFB Trader
    dindude said:

That's not the point at all.

The rule is there to prevent the kind of thread where someone for example asks if they should buy a Chapman ML1 and the thread instantly gets full of "I really hate Rob Chapman's stupid beard" posts to the point where the OP gives up and never gets an answer.

Similarly if a thread about an Orianthi sig PRS got derailed on the subject of the "smashing in of back doors" the same rule would apply.

It's quite apart from moderation on the basis of what is offensive.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • prlgmnrprlgmnr Frets: 3990
    And I guess the remaining half of people try to out do the third half of people by acting as if they're the only people completely above it all and able to make dispassionate analyses of the whole situation.
  • BigsbyBigsby Frets: 2943
    Emp_Fab said:
    I don't get this anti-Chappers thing at all.  What exactly is it about him that everyone seems to dislike ?  
    I'll refrain from expressing my opinion on the answer to that question - it could easily be taken as a personal attack, and thus inappropriate. But whatever the answer - I think it is part of the reason the Anderton's videos are so popular. Generally, I tend to avoid Youtube videos with 'annoying/irritating/self-obsessed/unnecessarily loud/verbose people' [n.b. not describing RC here!], but these 'characters' tend to have far more subscribers than the merely talented. Somehow, people seem drawn to watching stuff that mildly irritates, in the same way they'd rather read a newspaper full of outrage and bad news, rather than good news.

It's evident in lots of other places too - TV talent shows always required one 'love-to-hate-them' judge, (though these days it seems all judges need to fit that description). As a result, audiences are both compelled to watch, and simultaneously want to express loathing/dislike/hatred/etc. Hence the popularity of these threads on here. :)
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24580
    edited March 2019
    dindude said:

No. I disagree. 

Any derogatory comments about a female like you quote are bound straight for BCD - always been the case and always will be. That’s off topic stuff. There’s always a slightly different moderating standard for off topic and BCD - that’s the nature of any forum. If that comment was made in this sub forum (Guitar) it would get edited/moved etc and the poster PM’d

We are talking about on topic discussions regarding all artists. Not just chappers. It’s a clear rule as well. Criticism is fine. Be as critical of his output and material as you like. What we don’t tolerate are personal insults and rudeness instead of thought out criticism in an on topic area. 
  • If some of his detractors had an ounce of Robs positive attitude, they’d stop moaning.

I think he is an OUTSTANDING advocate for guitarists/musicians, doesn’t take himself too seriously, doesn’t think he’s God, just a fella with a positive outlook on life. It doesn’t surprise me he is supremely successful. 

Haters gonna hate. Doubt Chappers will be bothered, he’d just want to give you a cuddle  ;)

(now if only he’d stop crooning  :o)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 10reaction image Wisdom
  • LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2244
    Rob is an interesting person to talk to if you get a chance, have met him a couple of times. I also like ML3's and ML1's but not ML2's as Les Pauls suck. 

:)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    dindude said:

No. I disagree. 

Any derogatory comments about a female like you quote are bound straight for BCD - always been the case and always will be. That’s off topic stuff. There’s always a slightly different moderating standard for off topic and BCD - that’s the nature of any forum. If that comment was made in this sub forum (Guitar) it would get edited/moved etc and the poster PM’d

We are talking about on topic discussions regarding all artists. Not just chappers. It’s a clear rule as well. Criticism is fine. Be as critical of his output and material as you like. What we don’t tolerate are personal insults and rudeness instead of thought out criticism in an on topic area. 

Fair enough, and for what it's worth I have nothing against him and have enjoyed his vids in the past, but if I were to criticise his output constructively, I'd say he's become a bit of a caricature of himself recently and I've grown to dislike his playing, probably through over-familiarity. But seems a nice enough guy. But this thread isn't as controversial as some are saying, someone said he looks a bit smug in the thumbnail, some said he has lazy dad jokes, lot's of people supporting him, so pretty balanced.