Lost/Stolen by FedEx- Gretsch Masterbuilt Purple (or blue grape) Sparkle & White Penguin

What's Hot

Comments

• grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3346
    It’s great to hear your going to get it back and kudos to the kind individual who sought you out. 
    Lets hooe fedex don’t try and charge that individual for the import taxes eh.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • OssyrocksOssyrocks Frets: 1673
    welshboyo said:
    Great News but how the f@ck do you read an address completely wrong on a parcel....and who signed for it!! Our Courier guys always ask for my surname and check it off with the delivery label - we’re lucky I suppose!

Anyway, at least it is safe and not funding some scroat’s crack addiction.
    I was had a vintage Marshall JMP delivered to an address quarter of a mile away. No note left, nothing. After many phone calls, and finally speaking to the driver who actually dropped it off, I found it five days later. It had been left in someone’s porch, open to the elements, and was still there when I went to collect it. The house owner said that a driver had asked to leave with her and that I would be along to pick it up in due course. Of course, I was never told that!

I hope your guitar is ok?

Rob
    0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    Fantastic news..

Total shitshow from FedEx, but a happy ending 
  • Thanks for good wishes everyone, I am relieved to say the least!

welshboyo said:
    Great News but how the f@ck do you read an address completely wrong on a parcel....and who signed for it!! Our Courier guys always ask for my surname and check it off with the delivery label - we’re lucky I suppose!

Anyway, at least it is safe and not funding some scroat’s crack addiction.
    I’ll find out more later this weekend but I think mine got mixed into a multi box shipment so it wouldn’t have been initially clear to the receiver that extra boxes were there or had different names on them. FedEx should have checked though definitely.

It is shockingly delinquent of FedEx to do this. I have zero trust in them, and it will be interesting to see how they handle the subsequent complaint.
    Link to my trading feedback: http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58787/
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I was had a vintage Marshall JMP delivered to an address quarter of a mile away. No note left, nothing. After many phone calls, and finally speaking to the driver who actually dropped it off, I found it five days later. It had been left in someone’s porch, open to the elements, and was still there when I went to collect it. The house owner said that a driver had asked to leave with her and that I would be along to pick it up in due course. Of course, I was never told that!

I hope your guitar is ok?

Rob
    Wow that is completely nuts!
    I’m sure the guitar will be ok but I’ll find out later in the weekend.

It is of course possible that they’ve managed to break it but I’m not going to think about that for now. At least there will be something to fix LOL
  • heavyrockerheavyrocker Frets: 810
    Good to hear there are still some decent, honest people out there. With the news constantly dominated by the stuff evil bastards do it can be easy to forget that sometimes.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    Fantastic!!
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    I missed this story when it first broke, but I am so happy for you hat all has turned out well. Please note the last line of my signature. It's there because there are often horror stories about couriers on this forum.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • AlexOAlexO Frets: 1102
    So happy to hear this.
    Really looking foward to  NGD post 
  • BloodEagleBloodEagle Frets: 5320
    That’s tremendous news - I feel relieved for you. In a related story I bought a pretty pricey guitar from a guy in Germany a couple of weeks ago. After a nerve wracking few days tracking it (slowly) making its way from Leipzig, the day of delivery finally came, and I was at home waiting with anticipation. Out of the blue I got an email saying delivery had been attempted but no one was home, which definitely hadn’t happened, sitting, as I was, in my office looking out over the street below. A link in the email purported to show the location of the attempted delivery..which I was surprised to see was my old house on the other side of the city...because of course I somehow had a brain fart and on autopilot given the seller my old postcode, which it seems is all the actual couriers use when planning delivery schedules/locations. I went to the depot to pick it up that night, but the whole thing was so stressful (and entirely my own fault) that I’ll think twice before repeating the exercise again. Here endeth my tale 
  • matt1973matt1973 Frets: 386
    Wow. Pleased to hear its been located, bet you won't be buying from abroad again? 
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6743
    edited March 2019
    Excellent news, I am really pleased there a happy ending.

Incidentally, the news on the grapevine is that FedEx and the other huge (and f**king awful) delivery company UPS are planning a merger. 

They're going to be called FedUPS. 
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • matt1973 said:
    Wow. Pleased to hear its been located, bet you won't be buying from abroad again? 
    Probably not, unless I can incorporate it into a holiday!
    There are some things which don't seem to be available in the UK but for the rest of the vast majority of stuff I usually support Coda and Peach.
    Shops that I will be personally visiting much more from now on!

merlin said:

They're going to called FedUPS. 
    Haha. I might also suggest F. UPS :-)

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10278
    Yay!!!
  • Arktik83Arktik83 Frets: 431
    That's great news that it's been found and the receiver got in touch!  As having worked for a courier company for a decade I had a feeling that they wouldn't nick it because they would have been caught but am not surprised they've fucked the pooch and delivered it to the completely wrong person.  

I would suspect that a lot of the anger directed towards FedEx will be due to their operations team who seem completely arrogant and very unhelpful.  It's a shame because if you have people within management positions who adopt a us v them mentality then you get this kind of shit show.  They just don't seem to realise that they end up making mountains out of mole hills as a result.  

Problems is when you're shipping from the states FedEx and UPS have such a monopoly you have no option but to use one of them if they are poor.  

So glad to see that this thread has had a happy ending though.  Would love to see pictures of the guitar, it looks stunning from the stock photos!
  • Arktik83 said:
    That's great news that it's been found and the receiver got in touch!  As having worked for a courier company for a decade I had a feeling that they wouldn't nick it because they would have been caught but am not surprised they've fucked the pooch and delivered it to the completely wrong person.  

I would suspect that a lot of the anger directed towards FedEx will be due to their operations team who seem completely arrogant and very unhelpful.  It's a shame because if you have people within management positions who adopt a us v them mentality then you get this kind of shit show.  They just don't seem to realise that they end up making mountains out of mole hills as a result.  

Problems is when you're shipping from the states FedEx and UPS have such a monopoly you have no option but to use one of them if they are poor.  

So glad to see that this thread has had a happy ending though.  Would love to see pictures of the guitar, it looks stunning from the stock photos!
    Thanks for the good wishes and faith on this thread - I'd been told by someone at FedEx that it was likely stolen given the tracking, but with a bit of time away from it and looking your post and others who posted on here it did seem that it was more likely to be a case of "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."

I've been persistent and firm with the folks on the phone, and I'm sure some of them are frustrated by their own company's operations.

I am going to pursue FedEx for compensation on this, for my wasted time, for the costs of the lengthy journey I'm going to make to recover it, and for a couple of other angles that I don't want to disclose just yet.

I don't want money, if I get any I will give it to charity. What I do want is to cause pain to FedEx so that in some small and tiny way they will be incentivised to improve their operation and attitude.

I will quietly and persistently needle this firm as far as I legally can.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72665

I am going to pursue FedEx for compensation on this, for my wasted time, for the costs of the lengthy journey I'm going to make to recover it
    Why not just get a courier to pick it up?

Oh...

:)

That's why I'm currently contemplating a four-hour drive (one way, not both) to buy a bass I really want.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Haha @ICBM you are taking the right approach.

For me from now on, if it's not replaceable it doesn't get shipped. If I CBA to collect it, then I have to ask myself how much I really need or want it.
  • DB1DB1 Frets: 5025
    Great news - glad it looks like a happy ending. @ICBM - I'm exactly the same in that respect. I did about 300 miles on Thursday, both buying and selling, and enjoyed it. Apart from feeling that guitars need to be tried and tested before money changes hands, it eliminates the possibility of the scenario above. You also get the chance to make some new contacts and meet some good people.

I know it's not always possible (particularly in the OP's case) but where it's possible, I'd always travel either to collect, or to deliver it the buyer couldn't travel and I could.It helps if you don't mind driving, to be fair. 

Call me Dave.
  • notanonnotanon Frets: 611
    Congratulations! I would still blast them on social media for their lack of care. I find Twitter the best for that.

Mistakes can and do happen but if that was delivered somewhere they could and should  have found it, but they dissmiss it as ''missing'. They should have at least given you daily updates and advised of the process. Instead, they leave a customer sweating thinking they have lost thousands.

If that had been delivered to the wrong character you probably won't have seen that again and suffered a long legal battle.

Very very shabby.

Hope you have destressed with a gorgeous guitar ;-)