Buying a car

What's Hot

Comments

• Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10516
    I think it is time to face the facts and just lease.
    What facts are those?
    The universe not complying, luck not on his side and that he has been too picky when the cars were fine, plus he has lost the appetite to look anymore.
    Not sure how any of that means leasing is the answer.
    Probably more constructive to let EmpFab get over today's disappointment, so he can decide how he wants to move forward (no pun intended!).
    It means he will get a new car.  No damage, no smoke, perfect condition.

No disappointment.

And a car.
    Just what kind of costs are involved in leasing a car ? Every time I've looked into it leasing it seems you pay a deposit, then a couple of hundred every month then you either pay a large payment or give the car back or start another lease. Whichever way I look at it I can't see it could ever work out cheaper than just buying a car or am I missing something ?
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12027
    edited July 2019
    Danny1969 said:
    I think it is time to face the facts and just lease.
    What facts are those?
    The universe not complying, luck not on his side and that he has been too picky when the cars were fine, plus he has lost the appetite to look anymore.
    Not sure how any of that means leasing is the answer.
    Probably more constructive to let EmpFab get over today's disappointment, so he can decide how he wants to move forward (no pun intended!).
    It means he will get a new car.  No damage, no smoke, perfect condition.

No disappointment.

And a car.
    Just what kind of costs are involved in leasing a car ? Every time I've looked into it leasing it seems you pay a deposit, then a couple of hundred every month then you either pay a large payment or give the car back or start another lease. Whichever way I look at it I can't see it could ever work out cheaper than just buying a car or am I missing something ?
    I never said it would be cheaper, leasing seldom is cheaper, unless you find a really good deal (and in these deals you CANNOT BE PICKY, not brand, no type, not colour).  If you are picky and want options then leasing will be the more expensive way to own run a car.  Leasing isn't about trying to save money (long term).  Leasing is for people who don't have a lump sum upfront and can afford monthly payments and also to get a new car.  In this case, it is clear to me at least (everyone?)  that the latter trumps the former by MILES and getting a car in mint condition is paramount above all else so leasing makes the most sense.  Yes, as I said, it cost more, but that is the price to pay for a new car.

It's hard enough to find a used car without any blemishes for cheap, it is almost impossible to find a used car to the level of standard we are looking for in this thread.  We all have seen that so, in this case, I really do think just drop the used car idea and lease a new one.

Too logical? 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LordOxygenLordOxygen Frets: 319
    Buying a used car can always be cheaper than leasing.

You pay a premium to lease which means you do not have deal with 2nd hand car buying bullshit like this.

I prefer to take my chances in the used car market, main dealer close to home with a service deal is my preference. 

That said in a few years i may break the habit of a life time and lease an electric car for commiting. 

You pay a premium to lease which means you do not have deal with 2nd hand car buying bullshit like this.

I prefer to take my chances in the used car market, main dealer close to home with a service deal is my preference. 

That said in a few years i may break the habit of a life time and lease an electric car for commiting. 
    I wouldn't buy a used electric car either, not until they sell them with new battery fitted.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5587
    I'm doing an install today and this is the view from the window.
    I actually quite like it! But then I've always liked 3-door cars. Oh, hang on a minute...  ;)

https://i.imgur.com/VosGVWP.jpg

• LordOxygenLordOxygen Frets: 319

I wouldn't buy a used electric car either, not until they sell them with new battery fitted.
    Even then I wouldn't buy one. Battery technology will keep advancing, car prices will come down, charge times will drop and range increase. Leasing elec cars is good as you can keep up with latest tech at a fixed price.
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24610
    edited July 2019
    I went to work today and got sent home two hours later.  I was feeling short of breath and nauseous.  The boss said I looked pale.  It's either something I ate or a stress-related warning sign.  I've had a couple of hours sleep at home and feel a bit better.

As far as the car is concerned - I no longer care.  I will pick the closest standard car - focus, fiesta, golf, whatever, that's under two grand and get it regardless of colour etc.  I will get it today.  I just need wheels - of any description.  As long as it's got a long MOT and doesn't stink of fags, I'm getting it.

Obviously this is not what I wanted and will, when I can face it, return to looking for a Veloster, but I'm ditching the automatic requirement.  I wasn't that impressed with the gearbox on the one I drove yesterday.

If anyone is bored and wants to help me find something, I won't stop you  :)

Preferably private seller (lost all faith in the trade), under two grand (2.5 tops), long MOT, within ten miles of SA4 3AB / Swansea.  Don't care what it is but I would like a reasonable chance of selling it on at some point.

Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter

Offset "(Emp) - a little heavy on the hyperbole."
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • welshboyowelshboyo Frets: 1831
    Emp_Fab said:
    I went to work today and got sent home two hours later.  I was feeling short of breath and nauseous.  The boss said I looked pale.  It's either something I ate or a stress-related warning sign.  I've had a couple of hours sleep at home and feel a bit better.

As far as the car is concerned - I no longer care.  I will pick the closest standard car - focus, fiesta, golf, whatever, that's under two grand and get it regardless of colour etc.  I will get it today.  I just need wheels - of any description.  As long as it's got a long MOT and doesn't stink of fags, I'm getting it.

Obviously this is not what I wanted and will, when I can face it, return to looking for a Veloster, but I'm ditching the automatic requirement.  I wasn't that impressed with the gearbox on the one I drove yesterday.

Good Man, makes sense!! Get some rest ffs.

Plenty of nice genuine cars local if the net has widened spec-wise
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3825
    edited July 2019
    If it's making you ill just take it easy m8!!

You'll get sorted...probably soon as you stop trying! 
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33898
    A golf is always going to be a better buy.
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3825
    I'd probably just lease till something pops up.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33898
    Emp_Fab said:

If anyone is bored and wants to help me find something, I won't stop you  :)

Preferably private seller (lost all faith in the trade), under two grand (2.5 tops), long MOT, within ten miles of SA4 3AB / Swansea.  Don't care what it is but I would like a reasonable chance of selling it on at some point.

Give yourself a break here- it isn't worth a cost to your mental or physical health over a pile of metal, plastic and glass.

If it helps any I bought a £10k BMW from a dealer that had been shunted, repaired with no Cat D etc.
    It didn't show up until I took it to a mate who knew about such things (in the trade) and he quickly told me what had happened to it.

These things happen and although you lost money on trains and it was a disappointing day you at least realised before you spent the money.

A Golf or a Ford something to tide you over is the right decision for now.
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10381

Sounds like you need to put your feet up for a while Emp. The tone of you're last post suggests you're on a bit of a downer at the minute. You've had a massive inconvenience thrust upon you, but at the end of the day, second hand cars are ten a penny. Don't let this experience get to you, and definitely consider what it's potentially doing to you're health, given you're past history.

Look after yourself mate. 

Laugh, love, live, learn. 
  • BigBearKrisBigBearKris Frets: 1767
    Get that Civic and live car-stress free.
  • strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2488
    I would get one of the following:

Petrol Civic with VTEC engine (so anything but the 1.4L), looks like you can get one with under 80k miles on it for well under £3k

Diesel Mk5 Golf with the 1.9 or 2.0 engine, probably match trim, again easily available with about 80k miles for £2500ish

Whichever happened to be available closer to me and had the water pump etc service done rather than pending
    Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
    edited July 2019
    There are only 16 cars that are

within 10 miles of SA4 3AB
    under £2500
    private

Easy

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201907270524132

But it’s got to be a MX5!

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201907270524132
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    Want something that will work get a Skoda.

I'm through with BMW's ... bought my current car in 2013 new (it was an ex-demo car with £1K on the clock). The catalogue of faults range from the rear light cluster dropping off (the garage wanted £700 as the car was out of warranty) to sensor problems - connect the seatbelt and the warning light would come on, to being unable to lock the car to the biggie .. the car wouldn't start due to 'an anomaly - the garage had it for 10 days. And then a dock lock went ..... BMW picked up the tab for the light cluster but I had to pay for the rest. It was my fifth BMW but no more.

My neighbour had a new Audi - just as bad. His car was off the road for over week at one point - he's just traded it in for a new car.

All this tech is just ruining cars. I had a M3 which was superb - never went wrong, but then it wasn't loaded with sensors and tech.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1488
    Fretwired said:
    Want something that will work get a Skoda.

I'm through with BMW's ... bought my current car in 2013 new (it was an ex-demo car with £1K on the clock). The catalogue of faults range from the rear light cluster dropping off (the garage wanted £700 as the car was out of warranty) to sensor problems - connect the seatbelt and the warning light would come on, to being unable to lock the car to the biggie .. the car wouldn't start due to 'an anomaly - the garage had it for 10 days. And then a dock lock went ..... BMW picked up the tab for the light cluster but I had to pay for the rest. It was my fifth BMW but no more.

My neighbour had a new Audi - just as bad. His car was off the road for over week at one point - he's just traded it in for a new car.

All this tech is just ruining cars. I had a M3 which was superb - never went wrong, but then it wasn't loaded with sensors and tech.
    Hope the reliability scores are as accurate as reported....as I've just bought a new Kodiaq. No issues in 24 hours so far :D 

Which is better than we had with our outgoing xtrail. 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom