Buying a car

What's Hot
1121122123124125127»

Comments

• strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2439
    The only downside of a Golf is that you pay a premium because people perceive them as "Cool" Vs something similarly well made but uncool like a Skoda.
    ...except a cool Golf is actually called a Scirocco.
    I think that's just an impractical Golf (and objectively worse in the sense that they're a Mk5 Golf underneath, even recent ones)
    Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • strtdv said:
    The only downside of a Golf is that you pay a premium because people perceive them as "Cool" Vs something similarly well made but uncool like a Skoda.
    ...except a cool Golf is actually called a Scirocco.
    I think that's just an impractical Golf (and objectively worse in the sense that they're a Mk5 Golf underneath, even recent ones)
    I don't disagree, but that's nothing to do with coolness ;)
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • OctafishOctafish Frets: 1937
    Emp_Fab said:
    So let me get this straight.....  You are dismissing all internet reviews ?   And how exactly did it not work last time ?
    I think the suggestion is to drive one yourself, and let your own arse be the judge. 

I’ve always found the Golf to be cramped and uncomfortable. Seems a lot of money for something that’s less pleasant to sit in than a Daewoo Matiz. 
    Based on above comments I’m alone in this but that’s the point of trying for yourself. 

Budgie said:
    Emp_Fab said:
    So let me get this straight.....  You are dismissing all internet reviews ?   And how exactly did it not work last time ?
    Well, seeing as lots of people on here (ie. 'the internet') recommended a Civic and you ultimately bought one, most likely based on these suggestions? How did that work out? Just go and drive some cars and make your own mind up?
    There's an emerging theme here ;) , but hell no, why bother when there's internet reviews from 15 years ago to go on....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24580
    Octafish said:
    Emp_Fab said:
    I think the suggestion is to drive one yourself, and let your own arse be the judge. 

I’ve always found the Golf to be cramped and uncomfortable. Seems a lot of money for something that’s less pleasant to sit in than a Daewoo Matiz. 
    Based on above comments I’m alone in this but that’s the point of trying for yourself. 

Budgie said:
    Emp_Fab said:
    Well, seeing as lots of people on here (ie. 'the internet') recommended a Civic and you ultimately bought one, most likely based on these suggestions? How did that work out? Just go and drive some cars and make your own mind up?
    There's an emerging theme here ;) , but hell no, why bother when there's internet reviews from 15 years ago to go on....
    I’m not sure arse-comfort has changed much in 15 years. Mind you, mine has.

Anyway, there’s piles of recent reviews around 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • OctafishOctafish Frets: 1937
    edited October 2019
    Octafish said:
    There's an emerging theme here , but hell no, why bother when there's internet reviews from 15 years ago to go on....

There was an element of sarcasm in my post and I was specifically talking about the Mk5 Golf, of which the most recent reviews mainly seem to be about buying 2nd hand GTIs. Interestingly, with regards to Parkers, What Car etc reviews a recurrent theme with regards to the Mk5 Golf is that it offers great ride and comfort to the point it is criticised for lacking a sporty edge to its handling. Anyhow, the points still stands, if you have very specific requirements from a car (other than to get you from A - B ) you need to go and try for yourself. Comfort in particular can be very subjective.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11449
    Octafish said:
    Octafish said:
    There's an emerging theme here , but hell no, why bother when there's internet reviews from 15 years ago to go on....

There was an element of sarcasm in my post and I was specifically talking about the Mk5 Golf, of which the most recent reviews mainly seem to be about buying 2nd hand GTIs. Interestingly, with regards to Parkers, What Car etc reviews a recurrent theme with regards to the Mk5 Golf is that it offers great ride and comfort to the point it is criticised for lacking a sporty edge to its handling. Anyhow, the points still stands, if you have very specific requirements from a car (other than to get you from A - B ) you need to go and try for yourself. Comfort in particular can be very subjective.
    Especially with seats.  Very dependent on the dimensions of the driver.  What's comfortable for someone skinny might not be comfortable for a fattie larger person.

Height is important as well.  I've lost count of the number of Clarkson reviews I've read where he's complaining about a car not being good for someone of his height.  If you are 5'7" a car that he finds very uncomfortable might be perfect.
  • jaytmonjaytmon Frets: 168
    Toyota Avensis, 2009 on. Comfy, boring, fairly economical. And available for under £3500. 

I have a sense of deja vu, think I may have suggested this once before, a long time ago...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27525
    jaytmon said:
    Toyota Avensis, 2009 on. Comfy, boring, fairly economical. 
    Well, that killed the thread!

C’mon Emp, more daft “must get a car by 11.17 today” posts, more ridiculous rejections, and more stories of heroic cross-country treks to find a cut-and-shut ... 
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.