The latest Youtube pickup drama (featuring me!)

What's Hot
AlegreeAlegree Frets: 665
edited April 2019 in Guitar tFB Trader
I'm sure we all love following Youtube falling out and the drama that comes along with it. And I'd like to bring your attention to a video in which I've been falsely called out in. 

I've allegedly been infringing on William Gelvin's (known as Wills easy guitar on Youtube) patent for the dual tap humbucker. He's posted a video which is full of misinformation and defamation 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b10l-UDd87g&

In which I've been compared to an Indian phone scammer and a paedophile. 

I've posted a video that includes the truth, as I have actually read the emails back and forth word for word, and explain how he has an invalid patent.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wEJdUlvmcAQ&feature=youtu.be

I'd love for you guys to 
1. Watch the two videos back to back so that the Youtube algorithm directs the people from his video to the truth
2. Upvote my comment on his channel redirecting people to my video
3. Like my video to increase it's chances of showing up to viewers of the first video
4. Comment on either/both with your thoughts

Thanks folks!
Alegree pickups & guitar supplies - www.alegree.co.uk
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    Wow its the Wills easy guitar dude.  I've always thought he came across as a giant douche. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27578
    Just watched his video.

Intriguing comments from him about a possible "gentleman's agreement" and "mutually beneficial" solution.    He certainly doesn't *sound* unreasonable.

Not everything has to be turned into a pointless social media battle of who's right ... 
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • AlegreeAlegree Frets: 665
    tFB Trader
    TTony said:
    Just watched his video.

Intriguing comments from him about a possible "gentleman's agreement" and "mutually beneficial" solution.    He certainly doesn't *sound* unreasonable.

Not everything has to be turned into a pointless social media battle of who's right ... 
    Absolutely, I've opened dialogue for it, so we'll see how that'll go. I'm not holding my breath though. He's very much reduced my desire to work with him by trying to set an angry mob of his followers whom he's misinformed upon me. Not a good idea prior to a business negotiation.

I certainly didn't want a pointless social media battle, but his video had to be answered, considering the scathing accusations made.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JDEJDE Frets: 1092
    If his patent is unenforceable, why would you even need to enter into an agreement? If there is no infringement, just sell em to whoever wants them, regardless of whether they’re in the US or not. Unless I’m missing something? 

I would rather sell fewer units than have to deal with him in some kind of quasi “gentlemen’s agreement.” Word to the wise, “gentleman” don’t make videos like his on YouTube. It sounds like he wants a kick-back for something which, if it were even able to be patented, would have been done so by Dimarzio (or whoever, you get my point) ages ago. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10229
    Man, he’s annoying. 
  • DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3297
    tFB Trader
    I can't watch that very opinionated guy, he needs to realise there are other ways of doing things, the crap he spouts is annoying imo
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
  • AlegreeAlegree Frets: 665
    tFB Trader
    JDE said:
    If his patent is unenforceable, why would you even need to enter into an agreement? If there is no infringement, just sell em to whoever wants them, regardless of whether they’re in the US or not. Unless I’m missing something? 

I would rather sell fewer units than have to deal with him in some kind of quasi “gentlemen’s agreement.” Word to the wise, “gentleman” don’t make videos like his on YouTube. It sounds like he wants a kick-back for something which, if it were even able to be patented, would have been done so by Dimarzio (or whoever, you get my point) ages ago. 
    You're right for the most part. The problem is he's suggesting creating a blockade at customs. At which point I'd have to apply to the US patent office for a reevaluation of the patent, I have to spend time and money to correct their mistake! I'm willing to do so, but I'd prefer not to.

The first art I can find of the kind is in the Joe Barden Two Tone pickup, which was first marketed in 2009 (as far as I can tell). His patent was filed in 2013. This really is a cut and dry case. I speculate on why Joe Barden never patented it at conception in my video.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33799
    Two Tone is even older than that I think.
    I remember reading about them when I was had my Swiss studio, which would put it around 2005 and I think that they are even older than that.
    Email Joe Barden and ask them, they are good people.
  • JDEJDE Frets: 1092
    Alegree said:
    You're right for the most part. The problem is he's suggesting creating a blockade at customs. At which point I'd have to apply to the US patent office for a reevaluation of the patent, I have to spend time and money to correct their mistake! I'm willing to do so, but I'd prefer not to.
    I think he may be suffering from delusions of grandeur. The States, like everywhere else, is full of imported gear which actually does break patents, copyrights, is flat out fraudulent. If that can’t be stopped, hows he gonna blockade a box of pickups? 
    If you’re selling to the end user, nobody will know. If you’re selling through a US-based distributor, then he would have to take it up with them, he can’t stop product entering a country. The feds are trying to stop sacks of cocaine being imported, they don’t give a toss about toanz.
  • gringopiggringopig Frets: 2648
    edited July 2020
  • mbembe Frets: 1840
    Victimhood fabrication plain and simple, yet the causes may very well be complex and indeterminate.
  • Sorry, I haven't got the patience to watch his video, but I presume this is a patent for the principal of putting a tap or taps in each coil of a humbucker? If so, I wouldn't lose any sleep over it, it must be a very, very weak patent as there is nothing that is unique or not obvious about the idea, since tapped single coils have been around for a good 40years, maybe longer. I won't comment on the skill or artistry required to make useful coils with multiple taps, but from a purely technical perspective a tapped single coil and the constituent coils of a humbucker are no different, nor any different from other wound devices such as transformers (with multiple taps). They are all just wound coils tapped at various points. And given that you, Catswhisker, Gemini pickups, PRS and Fender all make humbuckers with multiple taps he is going to have to litigate against a good many people. And Fender will just eat him for breakfast. As for prior art, I first became aware of the idea of humbuckers with multiple taps in the early eighties. There isn't much info, but along with tapped single coils from the likes of Schecter, there is also reference to 6-wire tapped humbuckers in Donald Brosnac's book 'Guitar electronics for musicians'. My copy is from 1983, so they definitely existed at or prior to that date!
    https://i.imgur.com/PGrjaE2.jpg
  • GrangousierGrangousier Frets: 2640
    I watched one or two videos by him about something innocuous like setting up guitars, and YouTube being YouTube got recommended a lot more. I get the impression he's a mad person who lives in a bunker, and the only way he can relate to people is by starting a vicious feud with him. He might be perfectly capable with guitars, but so are a lot of people who aren't insane. No way I'm going to watch his video, sorry. 

I'd also suggest that the best response would be demonstrating all the cool, totally public domain, things that can be done with tapped humbuckers while at the same time completely ignoring him. If most people are anything like me they'd spend a few days fantasising about getting the soldering iron out before coming to terms with reality and hiring you to do it  anyway. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18801
    By the way, apropos of nothing at all... I now am now gassing for a Bartolini Beast pickup, despite being previously unaware of their existence and not needing one.
    Thanks a bunch, you bunch of total informed barstards. We hates you...
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    Has he taken his video down?  I just got home and went to watch it but keep getting an unavailable error message. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BloodEagleBloodEagle Frets: 5320
    He's possibly just realised its hard to actually patent, or claim ownership of, basic electronic principles
  • BloodEagleBloodEagle Frets: 5320
    edited April 2019
    double post - so good the forum software decided to post it twice
  • JetfireJetfire Frets: 1696
    @Adam_MD I have same so I think that's correct
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14446
    edited April 2019
    Apologies for adding to your misery but a quick Google search revealed this. 

REDACTED

Looks like somebody is trying to **** you over by abusing Google. Wants reporting.

Normal business practice would be a solicitor's letter, politely advising you to cease and desist and threatening litigation. Gelvin's approach seems to be inspired by the bullying tactics of Donald Trump.

I get the impression he's a mad person who lives in a bunker
    Other sources state that Gelvin Guitars ceased trading in 2017 and question his mental health. His ranting YouTube video presentations seem to confirm this assessment. 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.