New Gibson line finally in stores

What's Hot

Comments

• HenrytwangHenrytwang Frets: 473
    Mark looks almost as though he’s been polished up in that video. He looked a lot more rough and ready at Norms, Gibson better get Jen on board, she made a much better job of filming him.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • teradaterada Frets: 5114
    p90fool said:
    Was just watching the live stream on Instagram at Peach guitars as they were unboxing. I think I heard them say 2 piece backs on the standards which is a shame. 
    Why? the best Les Paul I've ever played has a two-piece back.

http://i65.tinypic.com/33x7j1l.jpg

I'm sorry but you must be mistaken, clearly it's not the best Les Paul you've ever played. Sorry to be the bringer fo bad news, but the internet is never wrong. Good luck getting a good Les Paul in future.

in the meantime the one you have can be disposed of at the nearest waste disposal centre  ;)
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2450
    Andertons have just started a live stream of the entire range on their YouChoob channel...
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5485
    FarleyUK said:
    Andertons have just started a live stream of the entire range on their YouChoob channel...
    Of course they have...
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2941
    Not good:

That really is disappointing for £1200 ish. 
    Yeah, I wouldn't even expect that sloppiness on a guitar for £300 let alone a grand plus. May be one of them things where it looks worse than it feels but I'd feel a bit let down if I received that. If the cheaper brands can get it right why can't a "premium" one who've been making guitars for years?
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7108
    tFB Trader
    Philly_Q said:

The bridge probably is a bit off, but there is also a tendency for the strings to drift over to the treble side with wraparound bridges

That's why the posts need to be offset towards the bass side to couteract this.

It looks like this hasn't been done. It is frankly incredible that Gibson would get this wrong.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 19302
    Looks like it might handle a 7 string conversion.
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 14003
    edited April 2019
    roberty said:
    roberty said:
    Is that even possible with CNC? Could be just the angle of the shot
    Can't see how it could be the angle of the shot. Camera seems to be perpendicular to the face of the body.
    I took that screenshot from the Mark Agnesi youtube vid on the Jr, you can see in several parts of the clip that the string alignment on the Jr he is playing is way off.

the string alignment is off on one of the Custom Shop Jrs that Peach has in stock as well. I'm not sure if this can be corrected by adjusting the strings at the bridge or not, they do look like they are wrapping over adjacent rather than on top of the string holes in the bridge so maybe it can be sorted easily.

Hmm...http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/2216213/#Comment_2216213 ;

You can see in the 54 Goldtop that the bridge posts are drilled offset towards the bass string side, look at where they are in relation to the bridge pickup, the centre of the treble side bridge post is "inside" the edge of the pickup and the bass side post centre is outside the pickup edge.

The new Jr's have them centred which doesn't allow for compensation for the way the strings "fall" across the wraparound bridge.

Looks like a design issue on CNC programming, were in '54 old hands would have known to drill them offset

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    That Goldtop is stunning BTW. If I had £20K going begging....

• robertyroberty Frets: 10914

Does this not look right then? Would be such a shame if they've got it wrong

roberty said:

Can't tell, how do the strings line up against the fretboard

• robertyroberty Frets: 10914
    roberty said:

Can't tell, how do the strings line up against the fretboard
    It's a scrolling shot! Can't see the whole thing together. I guess we'll have to find out the old fashioned way
  • ModellistaModellista Frets: 2047
    Turns out it takes more to sort out deep-seated QC issues than shipping in a couple of fellas in leather jackets. Who’da thunk it?
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2176
    I do feel for that one person who paid full whack for last year's 2018 les paul standard. That must be like being the one guy to pay full retail on a DFS sofa.
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JD50JD50 Frets: 662
    So the Standard is the new Traditional but around £500 more expensive?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mbembe Frets: 1840
    Philly_Q said:

I'm going to be a bit moany and say the Flying V looks awful, I hate that neither-50s-nor-60s scratchplate.  It looks like a hangover from the Henry J era.

Everything else looks pretty damn good.

I'm with you on that and I also think those Flying V bodies are wafer thin.
  • chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 4057
    JD50 said:
    So the Standard is the new Traditional but around £500 more expensive?
    The 2019 Traditional was £2,299 at launch so no.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23533
    the string alignment is off on one of the Custom Shop Jrs that Peach has in stock as well. I'm not sure if this can be corrected by adjusting the strings at the bridge or not, they do look like they are wrapping over adjacent rather than on top of the string holes in the bridge so maybe it can be sorted easily.
    I'm getting a bit trainspotterish about this now... interesting to compare these two, both Custom Shop.  Is the alignment really off or is it just a case of fiddling about with the setup to get it right?  I guess it's hard to be certain either way, just looking at photos.

• mburekengemburekenge Frets: 1075
    Solid, schmolid. Where are the semi hollows?