New Gibson line finally in stores

What's Hot

Comments

• Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2348
    bodhi said:
    Peach's Junior pic looks better.

Ooh, I feel a new guitar day coming on, I tell ya.

That's lovely. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 14003
    The new range looks good, the junior is very appealing.

one niggle I have with the promotional videos I've seen, and Fender are guilty of this too, why don't the wipe the guitars down before rolling the HD camera? Most of them are covered in greasy finger prints as they wave them around in the bright lights.

I can't remember which video it was but as the presenter flipped one of the LP standards over to show the back, I cringed as the greasy mess, it looked relic'd!

This isn't a gig a the Dog & Duck these are the videos that you hope will tempt thousands of people into making a purchase.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • andypandyp Frets: 332
    Are some of these models still a wee while away from being in the shops? The likes of the SG Special I posted on the previous page seems to be unavailable until into June. I am very very keen on one of those, but need to raise the cash first... so a delay isn't a problem for me, I'm just curious what the likely plan is.

Is there any wisdom in thinking to hold off until after the first tranche of guitars with regard to QC? I bought one of the first  of the 2016 model SG Fadeds and it's an amazing guitar. At £1200 the SG Special would be double the price of my Faded so I'd really want to be careful before buying and playing one beforehand is an absolute must.
  • StefBStefB Frets: 2406
    andyp said:
    Are some of these models still a wee while away from being in the shops? The likes of the SG Special I posted on the previous page seems to be unavailable until into June. I am very very keen on one of those, but need to raise the cash first... so a delay isn't a problem for me, I'm just curious what the likely plan is.

Is there any wisdom in thinking to hold off until after the first tranche of guitars with regard to QC? I bought one of the first  of the 2016 model SG Fadeds and it's an amazing guitar. At £1200 the SG Special would be double the price of my Faded so I'd really want to be careful before buying and playing one beforehand is an absolute must.

Peach have one in stock - https://www.peachguitars.com/brands/gibson-are-back/gibson-sg-special-faded-pelham-blue.htm
    Ta. I checked and Kennys in Glasgow have one too. I'm in Glasgow on Saturday anyway but am unlikely to get time to look and definitely can't afford it just yet. I'll see if I can grab 10 mins to swing by and check it out.

• WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5485
    StefB said:
    andyp said:

Peach have one in stock - https://www.peachguitars.com/brands/gibson-are-back/gibson-sg-special-faded-pelham-blue.htm
    I wish they'd show the weights on the lower-value ones too...
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31882
    If you need to know the weight of an SG it's really time you started playing sitting down. 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 10reaction image Wisdom
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5485
    edited May 2019
    p90fool said:
    If you need to know the weight of an SG it's really time you started playing sitting down. 
    I've seen SGs over 8lbs, and that would be a no-go for me. Of course the point is that an SG should be super light but Gibson USA isn't always known for using the lightest mahogany.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3957
    andyp said:
    I love the look of these new Gibsons. So many models appeal to me.

However... I have to try one of these. I am going to start setting aside cash to hopefully buy one later this year. I stole this pic from Kenny's Music Facebook page. I mean... look at it!

edit - I can't get the picture to work. I never can.

edited again - Woohoo! I did it. :) Sorry it's such massive pic though.
    I thought the sparkling burgundy version of this looked fantastic on the Peach unboxing video (which is a must watch).
    edited May 2019
    The burgundy looks amazing, I agree. I just assumed it was cherry, but it's not - it looks quite similar to Candy Apple Red from the pics I've seen. Peach's pictures are really good of the Pelham Blue model. I really, really want one of these. I am going to save hard for this and aim to get one late summer when I turn 40 (40! FFS).

I just spent most of my lunchtime looking at them and am already trying to work out if there's stuff I can sell to generate some funds more quickly. I don't have a lot of gear and what I have gets used... so I think patience is required here.

One thing I am trying to work out (which will be solved when I try one) is the slim taper neck and how it compares to my Faded model. Gibson stated that my Faded is something like "vintage correct" neck profile... or something similarly unhelpful as it doesn't mean anything to me.

edited to add...

The pricing is certainly better this year, but there's some oddness too. The SG Jnr. is £1149 and the Special is £1199, which has the extra pickup and controls etc. That seems a lot of extra for only £50 more. I couldn't work out why the Jnr. was so expensive relative to the Special. Same with the Les Paul TV Special. it's £100 more than the SG Special, which seems a lot extra for a similar guitar... I am not very clued up though, was just an observation when browsing at lunchtime.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 7180
    andyp said:
    The burgundy looks amazing, I agree. I just assumed it was cherry, but it's not - it looks quite similar to Candy Apple Red from the pics I've seen. Peach's pictures are really good of the Pelham Blue model. I really, really want one of these. I am going to save hard for this and aim to get one late summer when I turn 40 (40! FFS).

I just spent most of my lunchtime looking at them and am already trying to work out if there's stuff I can sell to generate some funds more quickly. I don't have a lot of gear and what I have gets used... so I think patience is required here.

One thing I am trying to work out (which will be solved when I try one) is the slim taper neck and how it compares to my Faded model. Gibson stated that my Faded is something like "vintage correct" neck profile... or something similarly unhelpful as it doesn't mean anything to me.
    vintage correct simply means that the neck points left when held in orthodox position
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • riverciderrivercider Frets: 461
    edited May 2019
    p90fool said:
    I'd be interested because I play sitting down.......and would love to find an SG that doesn't neck dive. 

I like the look of the 'new' Standard actually, with the rounded neck instead of slim profile, but that's just going to add to the neck dive issue I guess.  Alternatively, does a sideways vibrola on the 61 Standard balance the guitar better?  Looks like the sideways setup is a heavier chunk of metal than the Maestro/traditional style vibrola option....? Trouble is, the 61 is slim taper....
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27619
    p90fool said:
    I'd be interested because I play sitting down.......and would love to find an SG that doesn't neck dive. 

I like the look of the 'new' Standard actually, with the rounded neck instead of slim profile, but that's just going to add to the neck dive issue I guess.  Alternatively, does a sideways vibrola on the 61 Standard balance the guitar better?  Looks like the sideways setup is a heavier chunk of metal than the Maestro/traditional style vibrola option....? Trouble is, the 61 is slim taper....
    Neck dive is about relative densities of body and neck, which you can't tell from weight alone.  It's also about which tuners you use - Grovers make it far worse compared to Kluson-types. 

But if you're sitting down with it, it's not a problem, surely? 

FWIW I assume the new SG Standard has the same neck as the pre-2010-ish SG Standard, since the rest of the spec is the same. My 2000/2001-era Std has a lovely "middling fatness" profile that's pretty much perfect. Not what you'd call a really big neck, but rounder than a slim taper and was originally called a "rounded C" or words to that effect.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • riverciderrivercider Frets: 461
    Well, I prefer not to wear a strap with it when I'm sitting and I do still find it annoying, yes. Not insurmountable, but first-world-problem annoying enough to put me off the model.  Have had a couple of SGs over the last few years in a bid to find a well balanced one but not got there yet. (One with Grovers, one with Klusons incidentally).  There's bound to be a great SG out there for me, just haven't hunted hard enough yet..
    I'm a learner really so I play sitting down 90% of the time but am playing standing up more and more and find my Faded model is absolutely fine. But the balance is one of the reasons I want to be sure to play the one I am interested in before buying. Mine has Klusons and I looked at changing them for Grovers but didn't bother in the end, the balance being the main reason.

• earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3505
    p90fool said:

I have a 68 SG Junior which is incredibly light, around 6lbs I imagine?  It was modded with a Bigsby a very long time ago and it still has a problem with neck dive, the neck is far heavier than the body.  A great guitar to play standing up, less so sitting down! 
  • FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2450
    So, been setting the new 50s Les Paul up...

Added a Tonepros bridge and saddle, restrung with NYXL 1052 strings, removes the scratchplate and installed Bare Knuckle Mules.

Sounds great through the Kemper!

However.... I've noticed a few things that I'm not impressed with, for a 2k guitar:

- Glue residue can be seen on the neck join when you look at it from above (ie when playing it)
    - some marks on the fretboard

Managed to sort most of the marks out, but pretty weird they're there in the first place.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • andyp said:

edited to add...

The pricing is certainly better this year, but there's some oddness too. The SG Jnr. is £1149 and the Special is £1199, which has the extra pickup and controls etc. That seems a lot of extra for only £50 more. I couldn't work out why the Jnr. was so expensive relative to the Special. Same with the Les Paul TV Special. it's £100 more than the SG Special, which seems a lot extra for a similar guitar... I am not very clued up though, was just an observation when browsing at lunchtime.
    What I don’t get is the SG standard the same price as the Special. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • TINMAN82TINMAN82 Frets: 1846
    String alignment on this sideways vibrola SG from Coda looks off, although hard to tell for sure. Bottom E looks way too close to the edge at the nut and too far in at the end. Id still be wary about sight unseen Gibson USA models-

https://www.coda-music.com/gibson-usa-sg-standard-61-sideways-vibrola-vintage-cherry.html
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom